• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What's going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
SS, banter is indeed part and parcel of it all. Being English I fully expect to be ridiculed most of the time. However, I feel that not a lot of people understand what it actually means to a lot of us, so when we get attacked when we've just been knocked out, it's beyond banter, if you know what I mean. Imagine if I'd gone into the India-Aus thread after Sydneygate and chortled about how India had choked. That pretty much sums up how it was for us.

I'm not Australian but I know from speaking with a couple of them that that was how they saw your posts after the Germany game...

Look, just over a year ago, my domestic team lost out on a play-off place in the last minute of the season. I was totally distraught, a grown man being consoled by one of his two-year old daughters is laughably pathetic...but the way everyone in the footy thread responded was amazing, and sympathetic.

Then a few days later, grecian made a joke at my expense about it, and that's all good because I'm not raw anymore...it's the unwritten rule. Me and my sister's bf txt each other footy abuse all the time but when it's massive, there's an unspoken rule that we don't do it.

Maybe it's just me anyway, dunno. Certainly don't have a problem with people telling me my teams are ****...they generally are...timing and awareness are key though, because football is in my blood like so many others here and it does make me act differently to pretty much anything else in the world
In fairness you didn't exactly back off when United were knocked out of the Champions League and beaten by Chelsea within a week. Not that I recall you being a raging, unrepentant troll, but I think some of your posts from then might have pissed you off pretty heavily had they been made about England after the Germany game.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
In fairness you didn't exactly back off when United were knocked out of the Champions League and beaten by Chelsea within a week. Not that I recall you being a raging, unrepentant troll, but I think some of your posts from then might have pissed you off pretty heavily had they been made about England after the Germany game.
Hmm, I remember them being more on the lines of me being glad they had lost, as opposed to the sort of posts I am referring to. Fairly sure you were pleased England lost and also fairly sure I didn't name you as a troll, same with a few others really. I think there's a fine line. But there's no doubting I may well have crossed it myself in the past - I'm no angel :)

_Ed_

It needs to be noted somewhere here that this thread is purely and wholly responsible for me having Marvin Gaye stuck in my head for the last 24 hours.

**** you Corrin.

Thats my last word on it.
For me it's been that other one, by that woman with the deep voice.

And I said...

Now you call can have it stuck in your heads too. Because sharing is caring.

Uppercut

Hmm, I remember them being more on the lines of me being glad they had lost, as opposed to the sort of posts I am referring to. Fairly sure you were pleased England lost and also fairly sure I didn't name you as a troll, same with a few others really. I think there's a fine line. But there's no doubting I may well have crossed it myself in the past - I'm no angel :)
Well I'm used to everyone pointing and laughing when my team experiences a big defeat because everyone hates United and their fans. No one has anything against Tranmere, we'll all happily look out for their results and hope they do well, but that's not the case for England. Even angels point and laugh when England lose (may have stolen that line from somewhere :ph34r:). It probably seemed so gross and mean-spirited to you because you only experience it every couple of years.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well I'm used to everyone pointing and laughing when my team experiences a big defeat because everyone hates United and their fans. No one has anything against Tranmere, we'll all happily look out for their results and hope they do well, but that's not the case for England. Even angels point and laugh when England lose (may have stolen that line from somewhere :ph34r:). It probably seemed so gross and mean-spirited to you because you only experience it every couple of years.
No as I say there's a difference, you were pleased England lost but didn't post anything I took issue with (obviously disagreed with some things you said re Capello etc, again that's different). Certain people acted in a completely idiotic manner, you can express pleasure that a tean lost without being provocative, this is my whole point.

PS where I work people have a lot against Tranmere, givevn we are "Jedis", so they'll hapiily rub my face in it every Monday morning. I most certainly do not only experience it every couple of years, but as I also said earlier, there's a difference between a defeat and one in a high-stake environment - I took the Monday after the Stockport game off as if we went down I did not want to risk what I would have said to anyone who wanted to be a **** about our relegation - didn't matter in the end obviously :)

Fusion

Global Moderator
The posters or the team? People make fun of Pakistan all the time. And frankly, they should.
Making fun of Pakistan is the only way I can get through the (bad) soap opera tbh.

I think context is everything. If I see SS making fun of Pakistan, or something/someone else I like, I’m likely to not take offense. He is consistent about being sarcastic and has a well-known shtick going about how America rules and everyone else sucks (that’s true tbh, but I digress). Let’s not forget that he probably targets India more often than anything else. So I find it surprising that his posts in the WC forum could cause offense. Good on him to apologize since they did though. I will suggest that as long as it’s not personal, we all try to ignore any “baiting” that takes place. A random person on the internet insulting my favorite team is certainly not going to cause me to lose sleep. For the most part, the moderators here do take action against those that are trolling. There might be a delay in their reaction, but eventually it does take place. All just my humble opinion of course.

Uppercut

No as I say there's a difference, you were pleased England lost but didn't post anything I took issue with (obviously disagreed with some things you said re Capello etc, again that's different). Certain people acted in a completely idiotic manner, you can express pleasure that a tean lost without being provocative, this is my whole point.

PS where I work people have a lot against Tranmere, givevn we are "Jedis", so they'll hapiily rub my face in it every Monday morning. I most certainly do not only experience it every couple of years, but as I also said earlier, there's a difference between a defeat and one in a high-stake environment - I took the Monday after the Stockport game off as if we went down I did not want to risk what I would have said to anyone who wanted to be a **** about our relegation - didn't matter in the end obviously :)
I was kinda referring exclusively to Cricketweb. When people at your work gloat about Tranmere you probably don't go off on a rant, get banned for three days then come back and put an angry letter in the suggestion box complaining about them trolling :ph34r:.

I think it is pretty different though, as you say I didn't rub it in here but in general life it's standard practice amongst football fans. The crux of the argument is whether something does or doesn't constitute trolling, and I'd say the emotional response is triggered by someone taking joy purely in your team's failure. And that doesn't really happen on CW with Tranmere, or even the England cricket team, but it does with their football team. I don't think the posts that you considered so provocative and idiotic were radically different to those that crop up in the footy thread pretty much every time United lose. I don't mean to say that your pretty little mind can't handle it, but provocative posting can be a lot more obvious when it's aimed at you. It still just all seemed like banter from where I was sitting.

I guess everything has to be taken in context though. It's not really reasonable for me to compare a comment from Pickup about United to a comment from Sir Alex about England- the whole dynamic just isn't quite the same.

Sir Alex

Banned
I request mods to lock this thread as this is just nothing but "waste of bandwidth". It serves no purpose imho except to initate negative feelings.

Uppercut

There's plenty of productive conversation still going on in here. Report it if you don't like it, like all the people who aren't rabid attention-whores do.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Sir Alex, you don't exactly make it easy for people to like and get on with you, do you?

Agree with Uppercut, loads of productive stuff has been discussed here and it can only be a good thing if people are talking about the problems the site faces.

Sir Alex

Banned
lol, no. And stop derailing the thread.
Sir Alex, you don't exactly make it easy for people to like and get on with you, do you?

Agree with Uppercut, loads of productive stuff has been discussed here and it can only be a good thing if people are talking about the problems the site faces.
It is hard for people to get with me because I tend to talk straight.

BTW I have started to hate this forum. It gives nothing but headaches after headaches. Thanks Geraintismyhero. You have succeeded in getting rid of me forever from this forum. May your tribe prosper.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
It is hard for people to get with me because I tend to talk straight.

BTW I have started to hate this forum. It gives nothing but headaches after headaches. Thanks Geraintismyhero. You have succeeded in getting rid of me forever from this forum. May your tribe prosper.
k bye.

Uppercut

... and thus the last ever post on Sir Alex was posted.

Making fun of Pakistan is the only way I can get through the (bad) soap opera tbh.

I think context is everything. If I see SS making fun of Pakistan, or something/someone else I like, I’m likely to not take offense. He is consistent about being sarcastic and has a well-known shtick going about how America rules and everyone else sucks (that’s true tbh, but I digress). Let’s not forget that he probably targets India more often than anything else. So I find it surprising that his posts in the WC forum could cause offense. Good on him to apologize since they did though. I will suggest that as long as it’s not personal, we all try to ignore any “baiting” that takes place. A random person on the internet insulting my favorite team is certainly not going to cause me to lose sleep. For the most part, the moderators here do take action against those that are trolling. There might be a delay in their reaction, but eventually it does take place. All just my humble opinion of course.
Yeah, the thing is that I think a lot of people actually quite like Pakistan, especially their bowling attack, so the laughter is more out of exasperation than any ill wishes.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Don't get your hopes up guys. Told me he would leave the forum after a rant of mine in CC. Not happened so far.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Perhaps the most useful thing is that if someone is trolling, everyone else doesn't quote them. I found the ignore function was pretty useless when I tried it because those posts got quoted by someone else in the thread and then it annoyed me anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.