• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What's going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
People did. It's OK. Hell, I said that very same thing.

Truthfully, they are/were welcome to do that to me when US went out. If you're saying that people just take it too personally - that's an issue that lies with them, not everyone else.
Yeah, but it didn't mean anything to you which is why it's not a fair comparison.

Look, my teams are pretty much all jarg in sports (well, the cricket team are doing okay of late I guess) and I am happy to have the piss taken as much as I do - I get ripped in work all week long for my domestic team.

There's a time and a place though. As I keep saying, as a mod your job surely involves (or should) displaying a certain level of empathy. You obviously don't understand the level of passion that we put into supporting our teams in this country, that's not a dig at you, it's just the way it is. And it's fine - I don't think less of people who don't have that same fire - in many ways I envy it - but as a mod you have to see things through eyes other than your own.

EDIT - or what Jack said

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yeah, but it didn't mean anything to you which is why it's not a fair comparison.

Look, my teams are pretty much all jarg in sports (well, the cricket team are doing okay of late I guess) and I am happy to have the piss taken as much as I do - I get ripped in work all week long for my domestic team.

There's a time and a place though. As I keep saying, as a mod your job surely involves (or should) displaying a certain level of empathy. You obviously don't understand the level of passion that we put into supporting our teams in this country, that's not a dig at you, it's just the way it is. And it's fine - I don't think less of people who don't have that same fire - in many ways I envy it - but as a mod you have to see things through eyes other than your own.

EDIT - or what Jack said
And I understand that - but people have the same passion for cricket in other countries, or other sports in the US. We certainly don't make people tiptoe around hating a cricket team. I've seen many people abuse a person because they were passionate about their team and we're dispassionate observers like supposedly the senior posters are. If you're going to require something like that, there's a huge double standard here. There was even a thread about which team you dislike the most, and people had all sorts of reasons, and it was all fine.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I really dont' have much to add that other mods haven't already said, but I will say my little piece on the WC forum. As I've said before, I believe we could have done a better job, but the nature in which some of our senior posters were already posting certainly made our job more difficult than it should have been. Honestly though, I didn't think the "baiting" of english posters after the germany loss was all that prevalent. Yes there were a few posters who were particularly dire, and they were duly warned, and in on instance banned, but I'd be genuinely interested to hear how many people think (english posters in particular) they were unfairly targeted? I certainly didn't think GF (who seems to have taken the most flak) posted anything that was "baiting", especially not when taking into consideration the banter he took for being scottish.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, way to not read any of my post.

You show me where I said nobody should ever badmouth a team they don't like.
Show me where I said you should never be allowed to laugh at crap teams!
I mean it's not like we weren't all happy (well, you know) for you to rip on us after the USA/Algeria shambles...but like two hours after we've gone out the WC? Please.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I really dont' have much to add that other mods haven't already said, but I will say my little piece on the WC forum. As I've said before, I believe we could have done a better job, but the nature in which some of our senior posters were already posting certainly made our job more difficult than it should have been. Honestly though, I didn't think the "baiting" of english posters after the germany loss was all that prevalent. Yes there were a few posters who were particularly dire, and they were duly warned, and in on instance banned, but I'd be genuinely interested to hear how many people think (english posters in particular) they were unfairly targeted? I certainly didn't think GF (who seems to have taken the most flak) posted anything that was "baiting", especially not when taking into consideration the banter he took for being scottish.
There were two main posters trolling after our defeat, one of whom was banned and the other who was not even warned as far as I could see. Probably some other provocative posts but those two were the issue...and the ban is just a case of locking the gates after the horse has bolted, or whatever

As for GF, have answered that plenty of times :)

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yeah, way to not read any of my post.

You show me where I said nobody should ever badmouth a team they don't like.
Show me where I said you should never be allowed to laugh at crap teams!
I mean it's not like we weren't all happy (well, you know) for you to rip on us after the USA/Algeria shambles...but like two hours after we've gone out the WC? Please.
That's the issue, correct? That the emotional state is such that people shouldn't express their pleasure that a team lost right after it happened? Again, I will tell you it happens all the time in cricket when a big loss happens, especially under odd circumstances.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Sledger took two digs at Indian team in two recent posts of his. Given the passion of Indian cricket fans, it can be regarded as bait GIMH?
A - As I just said to SS, I'm clearly not saying you should never be allowed to take a dig at someone else's team. It's really not that hard to understand.
B - That being said, I think we all know how sledger was posting last night. You are trying to get me to be biased GIMH who will never say sledger does anything wrong, eh

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
That's the issue, correct? That the emotional state is such that people shouldn't express their pleasure that a team lost right after it happened? Again, I will tell you it happens all the time in cricket when a big loss happens, especially under odd circumstances.
You're brighter than this SS, surely.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
And I understand that - but people have the same passion for cricket in other countries, or other sports in the US. We certainly don't make people tiptoe around hating a cricket team. I've seen many people abuse a person because they were passionate about their team and we're dispassionate observers like supposedly the senior posters are. If you're going to require something like that, there's a huge double standard here. There was even a thread about which team you dislike the most, and people had all sorts of reasons, and it was all fine.
See, that's why it's a judgement issue, not hard and fast rules. GIMH talks about consistency before, but it's impossible to be perfectly consistent, because there are so many variables with the situations at the time.

You talk about the India vs Australia thread and how it happened; surely if we acted better then maybe there wouldn't have been the world's biggest dog's breakfast thread ever.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Have to say I, unlike GIMH, didn't have a massive problem with much of it, after that match. I went off at Sir Alex, because he mentioned it in a cricket thread, I think, when I was trying to avoid all the fallout, I personally can't be bothered to read the post-match analysis. Either the hysteria of england-haters or lovers. I also trolled the aussies a bit after they lost to Germany, I did apologise, but still would be a tad hypocritical to whinge, if they gave it back.

Furball went studs up on occasion, but if he hadn't been a mod, I probably wouldn't have had that much of a problem with it, I'd of abused him, but wouldn't of kicked up a fuss.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
See, that's why it's a judgement issue, not hard and fast rules. GIMH talks about consistency before, but it's impossible to be perfectly consistent, because there are so many variables with the situations at the time.

You talk about the India vs Australia thread and how it happened; surely if we acted better then maybe there wouldn't have been the world's biggest dog's breakfast thread ever.
I do realise that consistency is never going to achievable. It's just that I was informed my ban was in the interest of 'consistency' and I do not actually believe it displayed any such thing.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
But many people take cricket as seriously as GIMH takes his football. It happens after almost every Test match - not just Australia-India. Look at that series in Australia where Akmal cemented his legacy and what people were doing there. Hell, even I was laughing my ass off. I certainly would rather not be going around warning posters for finding it amusing that India lost last ball, or Akmal had a Akmal moment and Pakistan lost an important Test match.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Have to say I, unlike GIMH, didn't have a massive problem with much of it, after that match. I went off at Sir Alex, because he mentioned it in a cricket thread, I think, when I was trying to avoid all the fallout, I personally can't be bothered to read the post-match analysis. Either the hysteria of england-haters or lovers. I also trolled the aussies a bit after they lost to Germany, I did apologise, but still would be a tad hypocritical to whinge, if they gave it back.

Furball went studs up on occasion, but if he hadn't been a mod, I probably wouldn't have had that much of a problem with it, I'd of abused him, but wouldn't of kicked up a fuss.
Ha, I think it was reading some of it in the cricket thread that sent me completely over the edge if I am honest.

And agree on GF, I think I'd have not had much of a problem with his posting had he not been a mod and I therefore found a lot of it hypocritical given the way he modded at other moments.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
You're brighter than this SS, surely.
No, really. I'm not trying to be antagonistic - I am really trying to understand. If I was out of line, I totally accept it, but I'm just trying to understand why. I've already said I won't be posting in any World Cup, EPL, or any other football thread again, but the reasoning is not consistent with how we've always moderated Cricket Chat - and frankly how everyone acts in match threads there.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I know you're not trying to be antagonistic - I do appreciate what you're trying to do here. And I certainly didn't say I don't think you should post in any footy threads - it wasn't my team that you 'trolled' remember. My only issue was the constant football sux posts which were tedious.

If India get obliterated by pakistan in the WC, I won't be heading over to the thread to antagonise the India supporters, and if I do I'll expect censure from the mods. It's not rocket science.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
The Big Soccer forum which is the biggest football forum in the world (It's huge) has separate threads for separate teams, there is so much animosity there.

Status
Not open for further replies.