• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia vs Pakistan in England

Woodster

International Captain
It was a good day of Test cricket, bowlers that hit the right areas on a consistent basis were rewarded (Asif and Aamer), while the batsman that displayed the necessary application was able to succeed, in Katich. Clarke also looked in impressive form, and was slightly unfortunate to be dismissed. The bowlers enjoyed the conditions, but for batsmen it was not unplayable, a good balance between bat and ball.

Aamer was most impressive, used the new ball intelligently, and when it stopped whooping round corners, he bent his back and still managed to get some life out of the pitch, was bowling around 90mph. Asif on the other hand bowled very good lines and got it to nip about, focused on accuracy over any pace on this pitch. He may lack the zip needed on flatter tracks with little swing around.

Kaneria grew into his spells today, was allowed to settle and his confidence increased. We saw a good range of his skills and the way he bowled out Johnson was good viewing.

Gul was economical, and was threatening at times during his spells without carrying the consistent threat of the openers. His length was a touch short in these conditions, but did remove Paine with a beauty.

Pakistan have a lot of work do tomorrow, if conditions are similar, Hilfenhaus will no doubt cause problems for an inexperienced batting line-up. Backed up by Johnson and Bollinger, Pakistan will b e happy with any kind of lead.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Australia have never used batting depth well. I feel that it actually often works the other way and the batsmen take less responsibility.
Yeah, have to agree. When the side has had "Batting all the way down to 9!", sub-300 is usually the result. Aside from a few matches involving South Africa's 90's side, probably works that way for most teams.

TBH, we all tend to heap **** on Kat for getting out between 50-100 but I'll happily take those scores on a regular basis against top seamers over North's contributions when it barely matters.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It was a good day of Test cricket, bowlers that hit the right areas on a consistent basis were rewarded (Asif and Aamer), while the batsman that displayed the necessary application was able to succeed, in Katich. Clarke also looked in impressive form, and was slightly unfortunate to be dismissed. The bowlers enjoyed the conditions, but for batsmen it was not unplayable, a good balance between bat and ball.

Aamer was most impressive, used the new ball intelligently, and when it stopped whooping round corners, he bent his back and still managed to get some life out of the pitch, was bowling around 90mph. Asif on the other hand bowled very good lines and got it to nip about, focused on accuracy over any pace on this pitch. He may lack the zip needed on flatter tracks with little swing around.

Kaneria grew into his spells today, was allowed to settle and his confidence increased. We saw a good range of his skills and the way he bowled out Johnson was good viewing.

Gul was economical, and was threatening at times during his spells without carrying the consistent threat of the openers. His length was a touch short in these conditions, but did remove Paine with a beauty.

Pakistan have a lot of work do tomorrow, if conditions are similar, Hilfenhaus will no doubt cause problems for an inexperienced batting line-up. Backed up by Johnson and Bollinger, Pakistan will b e happy with any kind of lead.
If the conditions are similar and Hilfenhaus actually bowls at the stumps he'll take five. At least.

Burgey

Excellent stuff from Pakistani bowlers....have ruthlessly exposed Aus batting is these conditions.We will see a repeat of Sydney test...with Pakistan coming out on top this time.229 is a pathetic total
I'm curious, what batting line up isn't exposed by late movement from quality quick bowling?

Confess I didn't see the full day's play, but from most reports Australia were largely undone by good bowling in helpful conditions. I don't get how, if that's the case, this reflects poorly on the batting side, as opposed to the bowling side.

Late movement at well-directed pace always spells trouble.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Yeah, have to agree. When the side has had "Batting all the way down to 9!", sub-300 is usually the result. Aside from a few matches involving South Africa's 90's side, probably works that way for most teams.

TBH, we all tend to heap **** on Kat for getting out between 50-100 but I'll happily take those scores on a regular basis against top seamers over North's contributions when it barely matters.
Word up. Can't stand to watch the Katman bat, but you can't doubt his efforts.

If the conditions are similar and Hilfenhaus actually bowls at the stumps he'll take five. At least.
1/50 off 20 it is then.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Nice day of Test Cricket, especially if you a Pakistan fan.

Marcus North has now had 25 innings for Australia and on 13 occasions he has made 10 or less. That is shocking stuff. He got a good ball it must be said, but the shot wasn't on.

Just thinking about Tim Paine, is he in the team due to his OD form or First Class Cricket cause his highest score in first class cricket last year was only 69! He's not the best keeper either, so I'm pretty concerned at how he'll perform at Lords which is of course not one of the easiest grounds to keep at.
Chris Hartley must be wondering why he's not in the XI.

On the plus side, I'm very happy with Clarke at 4 and Hussey at 5.

Top_Cat

Just thinking about Tim Paine, is he in the team due to his OD form or First Class Cricket cause his highest score in first class cricket last year was only 69! He's not the best keeper either, so I'm pretty concerned at how he'll perform at Lords which is of course not one of the easiest grounds to keep at.
I think the selectors are just waiting for his form bubble to burst whereas with someone like Paine, being the more technically correct player, you get the feeling he's more of a long-term bet for big runs at the highest level.

That and Paine's a bleached blonde. If his name was Shane or Brett, he'd have been in the side years ago. Needed a bit of time to prove himself as quintessentially Aussie in front of the dressing room mirrors.

Last edited:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Nice day of Test Cricket, especially if you a Pakistan fan.

Marcus North has now had 25 innings for Australia and on 13 occasions he has made 10 or less. That is shocking stuff. He got a good ball it must be said, but the shot wasn't on.

On the plus side, I'm very happy with Clarke at 4 and Hussey at 5.
Agree with all of this. Awesome from Pakistan, dire from North, bring in Wade and a good move by Ponting/the selectors.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Just imagine had India and Pakistan did not seperate. But anyways the BCCI zonal idiots would ensure that a Wasim Akram sharing the ball with Venkatesh Prasad.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

But yeah agree with your first point..it would have been an unbeatable team

Last edited:

aussie tragic

International Captain
Yeah, closing in on Richards & Gambhir...[ 11 50s in 11 games ]
Great effort by Katich to join Haydon with 50's in 9 consecutive tests, however he's a long way off Viv's effort who had a fifty in 11 consecutive Tests, but which included 1788 Runs @ 94.10 with 13 50's (including 7 centuries).

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I think the selectors are just waiting for his form bubble to burst whereas with someone like Paine, being the more technically correct player, you get the feeling he's more of a long-term bet for big runs at the highest level.

That and Paine's a bleached blonde. If his name was Shane or Brett, he'd have been in the side years ago. Needed a bit of time to prove himself as quintessentially Aussie in front of the dressing room mirrors.
I think your right, but it annoys me how someone gets a game because he's considered a long term bet when he doesn't have the runs on the board at the moment. Paine may be technically correct, but he looked limited in his stroke play, he batted like how I batted when I first played Men's Cricket as a kid.

Never thought I would say this but I can't wait for Brad Haddin to return!

I'm pretty nervous about our attack too. Johnson hasn't bowled much lately and didn't seem to like the English conditions last time, Hilfenhaus is only just returning from an injury, Smith is unproven obviously, so that just leaves the reliable Bollinger.

Dougeh.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Katich
Clarke
Watson
Ponting
Hussey
Smith
Haddin

Because if we swap things around, the problems will go away. Haha.