• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia vs Pakistan in England

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
Never heard him before, didn't take me long for him to wish I had been born deaf
I have, but this is the first time I've heard him commentate an England game in a while. I remember a few years ago he kept screaming " Steven Harmison! " and that was pretty annoying.

Woodster

International Captain
Promising start from Gul, if he hits his areas consistently he's going to be a real handful today. Mustn't go too short, but hits the deck harder than Asif and Aamer, and will look to nip it around off the seam.

Woodster

International Captain
Asif's action looks like it's in slow motion. Pace is obviously not the most critical aspect on a pitch that is doing something like today, and his accuracy has been good, but would be nice to see him with a little more zip.

Woodster

International Captain
Yes a good session of Test cricket, albeit a shortened one.

Aamer and Asif caused problems, found very good lines and lengths with a bit of help in the air and off the pitch which is exactly what was anticipated. Ponting and Katich battled hard, looked to be positive when the ball has drifted into their zones, a good contest between bat and ball.

Just going through a couple of close LBW calls from this morning, but both difficult ones for the umpire to be absolutely sure to give out. Katich on replays was out, but Gould couln't be sure, and understandably thought he'd hit it. Ponting was also saved by that large lunging stride of his, giving the impression it was going over, despite Hawkeye suggesting otherwise.

Australia will be pleased to make it through with only one wicket down.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Promising start from Gul, if he hits his areas consistently he's going to be a real handful today. Mustn't go too short, but hits the deck harder than Asif and Aamer, and will look to nip it around off the seam.
Would like to see him try to hit the yorker a few times, with the amount of swing around, it could be quite deadly.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Aamer and Asif caused problems, found very good lines and lengths with a bit of help in the air and off the pitch which is exactly what was anticipated. Ponting and Katich battled hard, looked to be positive when the ball has drifted into their zones, a good contest between bat and ball.
Yes, good high quality cricket, dragged down a trifle by Gul's spell.

Just going through a couple of close LBW calls from this morning, but both difficult ones for the umpire to be absolutely sure to give out. Katich on replays was out, but Gould couln't be sure, and understandably thought he'd hit it. Ponting was also saved by that large lunging stride of his, giving the impression it was going over, despite Hawkeye suggesting otherwise.
Even as a bowler myself, I'd far prefer the umpire is absolutely sure before giving one out, nothing riles me more than an absolute joke of a decision off a massive inside edge or one that is missing the stumps from an umpire trying and failing to be perfectionist.

Spark

Global Moderator
Thought it was a fair if unlucky decision. If think the batsman might've hit it but aren't sure, only one way the benefit of the doubt should go.

Woodster

International Captain
Would like to see him try to hit the yorker a few times, with the amount of swing around, it could be quite deadly.
Absolutely, and there are few bowlers around who can produce that delivery with such accuracy, and deadly results.

Yes, good high quality cricket, dragged down a trifle by Gul's spell.

Even as a bowler myself, I'd far prefer the umpire is absolutely sure before giving one out, nothing riles me more than an absolute joke of a decision off a massive inside edge or one that is missing the stumps from an umpire trying and failing to be perfectionist.
Not sure Gul's brief spell was all that bad, his second over looked less penetrative admittedly, but sure he'll warm to the task. Has to work out the length that works best for him on this pitch, can go a little fuller than where he was before lunch.

On the umpire issue, I agree they have to be sure that the batsman is out, and any benefit should go towards them.

Last edited:

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
I think Watto's wicket was very important. Katich and Ponting no doubt have class but the rate at which Watto can score is the difference between winning a game and drawing it ...so important wicket there. If Amir can attack Ponting with a couple of surprise short ones, that would be very interesting to see.

Woodster

International Captain
I think Watto's wicket was very important. Katich and Ponting no doubt have class but the rate at which Watto can score is the difference between winning a game and drawing it ...so important wicket there. If Amir can attack Ponting with a couple of surprise short ones, that would be very interesting to see.
Watson can indeed score quickly, but on this pitch Watson's strokeplay will always offer the bowler hope. Katich has been much more watchful and has proved to be much more difficult to remove, not to mention his current form in Test cricket. A crucial wicket, and would have thought Pakistan would have preferred his scalp in that morning session.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Absolutely, and there are few bowlers around who can produce that delivery with such accuracy, and deadly results.
He can lose the ability to bowl it sometimes, but he is deadly in the majority of the time when he gets it right. I do think it is an underused ball in Test cricket though, anything close to yorker length tends to be defended in Test cricket, especially if full and the ball is swinging - it is a good one to bowl.

Not sure Gul's brief spell was all that bad, his second over looked less penetrative admittedly, but sure he'll warm to the task. Has to work out the length that works best for him on this pitch, can go a little fuller than where he was before lunch.
He has been in horrendous form in Test matches, which is why I have my reservations, but he is always one who can rise to the occasion.