• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Warne vs Murali Discussion

I've clearly read your post since I think it belongs in the rubbish along with the last two hundred simpsons episodes.

Murali is a professional athlete. I think you need to understand that being booed and jeered by a crowd does not provide justification for a poor record. Murali was no balled by a largely incompetent umpire. I don't really understand the correlation between no-balled and poor performances in Australia.

As for the rest of the garbage you posted. It's good to see that you can only read statistics at face value. Such deep critical thinking you've shown there. Groundbreaking
Very rich of you to call anyone's posts garbage seeing the drivel you post :laugh: What about them stats then?Warne was injured everytime he toured India and everytime he performed badly, Murali's stats are inflated because of minnows...nvm that he has a lower average even without minnows....btw very amusing that you are accusing me of reading stats at face value when you are doing the same about Murali's in Australia 8-)

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Very rich of you to call anyone's posts garbage seeing the drivel you post :laugh: What about them stats then?Warne was injured everytime he toured India and everytime he performed badly, Murali's stats are inflated because of minnows...nvm that he has a lower average even without minnows....btw very amusing that you are accusing me of reading stats at face value when you are doing the same about Murali's in Australia 8-)
My posts may be drivel in your opinion but at least I don't create multis which can be used to vote favourably in my own polls. what a joke.

Though valid points, I'm not sure If i have brought those ideas forward. Can you stop putting words into my mouth because I haven't said any of those things.

My main issue is that you seem to think that being booed by the crowd justifies excluding less than favourable performance and statistics, which is, of course, rubbish.

Last edited:
My posts may be drivel in your opinion but at least I don't create multis which can be used to vote favourably in my own polls. what a joke.

Though valid points, I'm not sure If i have brought those ideas forward. Can you stop putting words into my mouth because I haven't said any of those things.

My main issue is that you seem to think that being booed by the crowd is justifies excluding less than favourable performance and statistics, which is, of course, rubbish.
You know it was ME who did then? Hey,speaking of bans,I see you got a nice,long one as well a few days back.Hope you enjoyed your free time...

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
You know it was ME who did then? Hey,speaking of bans,I see you got a nice,long one as well a few days back.Hope you enjoyed your free time...
If you consider three days to be an extensive ban, yes, it was an enjoyable vacation, nice of you to ask.

I'm not sure if people would consider that long though.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
It could be because I was busy teaching Got_spin.
stop derailing the thread and answer my points

- you put words into my mouth
- so far you still have failed to justify why stats should be excluded based on the idea that the crowds were mean. Why shouldn't this apply to everyone else?

stop derailing the thread and answer my points

- you put words into my mouth
- so far you still have failed to justify why stats should be excluded based on the idea that the crowds were mean. Why shouldn't this apply to everyone else?
What points?Other than your petty juvenile insults.If you have anything of note to share, bring it up.Go and see who derailed the thread.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
In Ashes 05, arguably Warne's greatest series, he was depressed and crying in the dressing room when he wasn't bowling. His life was falling apart, and in public.

These are professional sportsmen. I think the pressure they dealt with was not extraordinary for men in their position to justify poor performances.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
In Ashes 05, arguably Warne's greatest series, he was depressed and crying in the dressing room when he wasn't bowling. His life was falling apart, and in public.

These are professional sportsmen. I think the pressure they dealt with was not extraordinary for men in their position to justify poor performances.
This. It's one of the most remarkable things about Warne. Probably had one of the most controversial and publicised careers but managed to not only keep it together on the field, but greatly excel.

I still don't see you answering my objection to excluding statistics based on a hostile crowd.
I already explained it in my previous posts....and to say that a newbie faces less pressure than a great is akin to saying a veteran of 100 tests faces more pressure than a debutant. Forget everything else-on most statistical and objective measures,Murali comes out on top.Wisden has him as the best bowler if I'm not mistaken.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I already explained it in my previous posts....and to say that a newbie faces less pressure than a great is akin to saying a veteran of 100 tests faces more pressure than a debutant. Forget everything else-on most statistical and objective measures,Murali comes out on top.Wisden has him as the best bowler if I'm not mistaken.
A great player faces more pressure to consistently perform than a seemingly lesser player.

Cricket is not an objective game, and it would be unwise to make wide sweeping statements without considering mitigating factors and circumstances. It's not just a game of statistics and mathematics.Wisden also had Warne in the top 5 players of the 20th century. don't see the point.

Riggins

International Captain

Where did you get this from? I've heard he was partying the whole series almost, friends saw him out til very early hours before games etc.

A great player faces more pressure to consistently perform than a seemingly lesser player.

Cricket is not an objective game, and it would be unwise to make wide sweeping statements without considering mitigating factors and circumstances. It's not just a game of statistics and mathematics.Wisden also had Warne in the top 5 players of the 20th century. don't see the point.
Does or doesn't a debutant face more pressure than a 100 test veteran.Yes or no

Warne might well be the better all round player,I have not disputed that.As a bowler,Murali slightly ahead for mine.

Last edited:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
GS and Avada - cut the childish crap out, you're not impressing anyone.

I would like to see Warne bowl with the umpire no balling him for no reason whatsoever and the crowd booing and no balling him as well..Booing happens to many player,that is not the issue.
Now I like Murali and I know he doesn't throw it, but even the biggest Murali fan has to admit that, even if just a little bit, it does look like he's throwing it. Hair had a reason. He was wrong, mind you, but there was reasoning behind it.

Sir Alex

Banned

Yeah, comparing personal life breakdown caused largely by the individual's own issues, to being professionally booed on ground for which the individual is as to blame as Mother teresa is for the Nam. 8-)

Get back to me when you've instances of Warne having rotten egg thrown on his face while touring sri lanka.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Where did you get this from? I've heard he was partying the whole series almost, friends saw him out til very early hours before games etc.
Michael Clarke interview. Also, IIRC was mentioned in Warne's Parkinson interview as well.

Maybe he was partying after games, etc. It was during the game where Clarke said he'd find Warne in the dressing room balling his eyes out, then come out and be amazing.