• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who will be the next side to win a test series against the top 4?

DingDong

State Captain
Yes Athlai that's what i was talking about, NZ haven't beaten those sides in around eight years, Pakistan haven't beaten any of those sides in four years, SL last beat one of them two years ago, while we beat England last year.
as somebody said sl played 2 series against the top sides in the last 2 years and won one.

wi have played about 5 series against the top sides in the last 2 years and won one.

i don't see how wi can be superior to lanka at all.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
wi barely won that series though. i'd say eng were far superior in that series but were just unlucky.
Erm it was a series with FIVE TESTS in it, if England were so "superior" they would have got level easily, we won the very first test so they had four of them to do it but still didn't manage it, we earned that series win.

DingDong

State Captain
Erm it was a series with FIVE TESTS in it, if England were so "superior" they would have got level easily, we won the very first test so they had four of them to do it but still didn't manage it, we earned that series win.
but why did they lose so badly when they went to england? i mean they were smashed.

Athlai

Not Terrible
The match that was called off at North Sound.
The gusty down to the wire last wicket draw for WI in St. John's
The Bridgetown freeway that didn't come close to having a 4th innings.
And the narrow miss with Ramdin saving the Test in Port of Spain.

2 ridiculous pitches not with standing the only thing that let WI win that series was lower order backbone and JE Taylor 5/11.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not how I read it. Especially since besides Taylor in Sabina park that series was absolutely rubbish. :ph34r:
Lol...it's painfully transparent what his intentions were in starting this thread to begin with :cool:

WindieWeathers

International Regular
as somebody said sl played 2 series against the top sides in the last 2 years and won one.

wi have played about 5 series against the top sides in the last 2 years and won one.

i don't see how wi can be superior to lanka at all.
We've played England twice and Australia twice since 08, and even our last test against South Africa finished at the begining of 08, so at least we've been playing the top sides, unlike SL, i'm not saying we are "superior" to SL, i'm saying when our guys turn it on like they did against England last year we aren't below them at all.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
The match that was called off at North Sound.
The gusty down to the wire last wicket draw for WI in St. John's
The Bridgetown freeway that didn't come close to having a 4th innings.
And the narrow miss with Ramdin saving the Test in Port of Spain.

2 ridiculous pitches not with standing the only thing that let WI win that series was lower order backbone and JE Taylor 5/11.
We done the damage in the first test and then showed our fighting spirit in the rest of the series, haven't England mastered the art of "hanging on" in recent tests? :laugh: hell even Australia done it against us in the 2nd test recently, at the end of the day the history books will still say WI won.

DingDong

State Captain
We've played England twice and Australia twice since 08, and even our last test against South Africa finished at the begining of 08, so at least we've been playing the top sides, unlike SL, i'm not saying we are "superior" to SL, i'm saying when our guys turn it on like they did against England last year we aren't below them at all.
but you lose everything. except that one game against england. i don't see how playing (and losing) against top side immediately makes u a better side

Athlai

Not Terrible
We done the damage in the first test and then showed our fighting spirit in the rest of the series, haven't England mastered the art of "hanging on" in recent tests? :laugh: hell even Australia done it against us in the 2nd test recently, at the end of the day the history books will still say WI won.
The curators showed your fighting spirit in two Tests. At the end of the day the joke match at North Sound will be remembered about as much as Taylor's 5fer. Otherwise this series won't have anything else to remember about it.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
but you lose everything. except that one game against england. i don't see how playing (and losing) against top side immediately makes u a better side
Erm our proper team has only played Australia since we beat England, and even then we had a depleted side 8-) .

WindieWeathers

International Regular
The curators showed your fighting spirit in two Tests. At the end of the day the joke match at North Sound will be remembered about as much as Taylor's 5fer. Otherwise this series won't have anything else to remember about it.
To be honest Athlai i couldn't give a monkeys about how "boring" a series is if we win, we beat one of the top sides, that's all that matters to me, and if we beat South Africa in the same way in June then i'd be delighted.

Zinzan

Lol even NZ fans wouldn't agree with your warped point of view!!.. keep hating on WI though!!, it's funny. :laugh:
The irony here is that the Windies are about the most loved "other team' on CW, in fact I'm pretty sure they were first in the poll 'favorite other team' recently & most CW posters would love nothing more than to see a resurgence in West Indies. However, the realirty is for now, they are comfortably behind SL as a test nation & there's no conclusive argument atm to suggest they are 'categorically' better than either Pak or NZ regardless of how you want to talk it up.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Lol...it's painfully transparent what his intentions were in starting this thread to begin with :cool:
Erm so what were my "intentions" then? :unsure: you tried to discredit my thread with your "stats" which clearly fell on death ears because no-one actually believes that SL are above England right now like you suggested.

Zinzan

Erm so what were my "intentions" then? :unsure: you tried to discredit my thread with your "stats" which clearly fell on death ears because no-one actually believes that SL are above England right now like you suggested.
Haha.....your intention was so clear it's not funny & I'd guess just about everyone who knows you would've spotted it straight away.

You thought you'd start this thread so what you can do what you've being doing for months now, & that is to unrealistically talk-up the West Indies to be a better side than they are, while at it sticking the boot into NZ & riling NZ' posters. Doesn't bother me tbh, I find is quite humorous, but don't try making out there's any other motivation for this, as one only has to have a brief look through your posting history to know what's going on :cool:

WindieWeathers

International Regular
The irony here is that the Windies are about the most loved "other team' on CW, in fact I'm pretty sure they were first in the poll 'favorite other team' recently & most CW posters would love nothing more than to see a resurgence in West Indies. However, the realirty is for now, they are comfortably behind SL as a test nation & there's no conclusive argument atm to suggest they are 'categorically' better than either Pak or NZ regardless of how you want to talk it up.
Well from what i've read WI certainly isn't Streetwise's "2nd team" that's for sure, also the last time we played SL wasn't it a draw? yep, like i said we've actually been playing the top teams over the past few years while they seem to have been playing the middle to lower tier teams bar India, so of course we've lost more games than them recently, man for man there's no way there's a huge difference, not in a million years.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Haha.....your intention was so clear it's not funny & I'd guess just about everyone who knows you would've spotted it straight away.

You thought you'd start this thread so what you can do what you've being doing for months now, & that is to unrealistically talk-up the West Indies to be a better side than they are, while at it sticking the boot into NZ & riling NZ' posters. Doesn't bother me tbh, I find is quite humorous, but don't try making out there's any other motivation for this, as one only has to have a brief look through your posting history to know what's going on :cool:
If it was my intention to "stick the boot into NZ" why wouldn't i just post in the "NZ vs WI" thread then? 8-) NOT EVERYTHING IS ABOUT NZ!!, i'm talking about the top four and the teams below them, i would have thought the thread title would have made that clear, Bang, NZ and Pak have all taken heavy defeats lately, posing a question about when another side will beat the top four in a test series is perfectly acceptable imo, but you can stick to your theories if you wish.

Last edited: