• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just quickly, I agree with what you're saying Marcus. I don't think a team like Fulham should have a shot at Champions League qualification. However, even in the current system it's very unlikely that it would qualify.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Two shock results in a row against a vastly superior team is highly unlikely actually.
Fulham beating two of Arsenal/Everton/Villa (4th/5th/6th last season respectively) is ridiculously more likely than Barnsley beating Liverpool and Chelsea in consecutive rounds of the FA Cup, or Leeds beating Manchester United, or Reading beating Liverpool (Maybe not :ph34r:).

Mr Mxyzptlk

Fulham beating two of Arsenal/Everton/Villa (4th/5th/6th last season respectively) is ridiculously more likely than Barnsley beating Liverpool and Chelsea in consecutive rounds of the FA Cup, or Leeds beating Manchester United, or Reading beating Liverpool (Maybe not :ph34r:).
I still believe that an inferior team, beating very much superior teams consecutively, pre-season, with a Champions League spot up for grabs is highly unlikely.

Jarquis

The playoff system increases their chances of qualifying compared to their chances of finishing fourth IMO.
Regardless of how likely it is or isn't, they shouldn't have a better chance of doing so. They flat out don't deserve to. If they finish fourth then fair play. Finishing 7th when you're "as far" from relegation as you are fourth spot isn't an achievement that should be rewarded with a shot at playing Champions league footbll.

Matteh

All i read in that post was 'Man Utd, Yawn' so it was always very likely i'd misinterpret it.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Still, a valid point. Should someone that many points behind be able to ride their luck for a couple of games and get a CL spot? I don't think so, personally. Would prefer the FA Cup winner get a CL spot. Would make teams a lot more interested in winning it, that's for sure!
DWTA.

I reckon it's far more likely to make an FA Cup final through spawn and/or a favourable draw than it is to finish 7th in the Prem. In the last decade we've had Cardiff, Millwall, Pompey, Southampton & West Ham make it.

Only way the FA Cup would be a feasible idea for CL qualifacation would be to seed the draw, which removes the competition's raison d'etre at a stroke.

grecian

Look there wouldn't be the upsets in a Champions League Play-off then there are in the FA Cup because clubs would actually care about being in the Champions League.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to watching Arse tonight, Fabianski must be one of the most entertaining players in the game....

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ha, too right. Useless prick was moaning in Poland about not getting enough starts as well. Clearly not making the connection between "being ****" and "not playing regularly". Although with Almunia as #1 you can see why he might be confused.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Oh god, no Song or Gallas could be pretty costly today. Especially with Fabianski in goal. Will take a draw from this quite happily. Score draw would be nice.

cpr

International Coach
Feel a bit Dirty supporting the arse tonight, but

A) Like English teams to do well in Europe, so long its not as good as us

B) Cant hate Arsenal as much as the begining of the decade, they try and play decent football without trying to buy success, so cant really hate tehm that much for that

C) **** Porto.

Uppercut

Oh god, no Song or Gallas could be pretty costly today. Especially with Fabianski in goal. Will take a draw from this quite happily. Score draw would be nice.
Porto are infinitely better at home. I'd be absolutely delighted with a draw here.

Jarquis

Hoping Fiorentina can get a result tonight. Cleansheet for Frey and Jovetic to assisst Gilardino :)

Meanwhile, Fabregas to bag a brace :)