• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Well, the top 4 get into the Champions League, if any of the top four play each other in the FA Cup and/or Carling Cup Final, then that spot goes to the 6th and 7th placed teams. Of course if Manchester United play Blackburn in the Carling Cup final, and United win, then Blackburn get that Europa Cup spot. Same for the FA Cup.
Actually I think it's only the FA Cup runners up who get the Europa spot, for the Carling cup it goes to the next league team.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Misunderstood me there. My point is league position isnt all that relevant, Alot of the idea behind play offs is to generate 'excitement' to keep attendances from dipping towards the back end of a season. My argument is if a team is trying to entertain its fans rather than just plodding through 'dead rubber' matches, then attendances dont drop. Even if the team wins, loses, draws, spends the whole of the year in 12th with no prizes on the horizon, if the players are giving it their all, fans will still want to watch and will attend regardless.

The problem is with players failing to motivate themselves, giving half arsed performances because they know there is no penalty, thus fans decide they cant be bothered spending £30 on a ticket knowing that the team dont really care for the game. A player who needs the motivation of a play off place to put a shift in past easter isn't really the kind i'd want in my team.
I agree with you in principle, but I don't think you can compare the motivation and feeling generated (from a fans perspective) by a live game and a dead rubber. The playing performance, while a part of the picture, is less of a problem before the match when fans decide to buy tickets, because you don't know how your team will perform. (all teams have ups and downs) In other words, more motivated players wouldn't hurt, but I don't think it would generate as much excitement as real live games do.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Just saw the highlights and Milan had so many chances, Seedorf must be about 57 by now though...
It was a strange game TBH – when United equalised at 1-1 (you could give Scholesy another thousand attempts at that and he’d never repeat it) United been so poor I thought we were dead fortunate not to be two or even three down. Yet by the time we got to 3-1 up United was so in control I thought we could put a fourth past them comfortably and it was disappointing to let Milan back into it with that late goal.

Just looked it up and Seedorf is 33, which is actually a bit younger than I would have thought.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sorry to go back to the playoff idea but last season Fulham finished 7th, 19 points behing Arsenal in fourth. Exactly the same number of points they finished ahead of Newcastle, who were relegated for the record. We want sides like that representing us in Europe?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It was a strange game TBH – when United equalised at 1-1 (you could give Scholesy another thousand attempts at that and he’d never repeat it) United been so poor I thought we were dead fortunate not to be two or even three down. Yet by the time we got to 3-1 up United was so in control I thought we could put a fourth past them comfortably and it was disappointing to let Milan back into it with that late goal.

Just looked it up and Seedorf is 33, which is actually a bit younger than I would have thought.
Was a comically lucky goal. Ronaldinho's was a fluke too.

Really lucky to come away with a win there. Milan can't really have many complaints after finishing so badly and giving away goals so easily but from a United perspective we really need to improve. That said, we've been playing that badly away in Europe for ages and always seem to come away with something somehow. 16 games unbeaten now.

Mr Mxyzptlk

But...they're not in the Champions League...

They've qualified for a tournament geared toward 2nd class clubs of Europe. Why begrudge them that?

Loony BoB

International Captain
Will be interested in how we line up in the second leg without Carrick. We've played with the same three midfielders for a while now.

EDIT: Liam, think he was pointing out that if 4th-7th have playoffs and Fulham had won, then it would be questionable whether they would be fit for the CL.

Last edited:

Jarquis

But...they're not in the Champions League...

They've qualified for a tournament geared toward 2nd class clubs of Europe. Why begrudge them that?
I was talking about the playoff system.... 4th-7th. Meaning if it were implemented last season they would've had the opportunity to qualify for the Champions League, which is a farce considering they were as close to being relegated as they were to qualifying for the Champions League through leage position.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Will be interested in how we line up in the second leg without Carrick. We've played with the same three midfielders for a while now.
Could be Anderson in line for a recall, though Fergie has claimed he’s hoping Sir Ryan will be fit for the return leg.

I’d actually like to see us play two up front at home though and really kill them off.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Why yes, they were as unlikely to qualify for the Champions League as they were to being relegated. You say "close to", but really neither was a realistic occurence, so it's really "far from".

Loony BoB

International Captain
Still, a valid point. Should someone that many points behind be able to ride their luck for a couple of games and get a CL spot? I don't think so, personally. Would prefer the FA Cup winner get a CL spot. Would make teams a lot more interested in winning it, that's for sure!

Jarquis

Why yes, they were as unlikely to qualify for the Champions League as they were to being relegated. You say "close to", but really neither was a realistic occurence, so it's really "far from".
As close to = as far from. They were equidistant in terms of points from each position.
You say "neither was a realistic occurence" it become a whole lote more realistic with this playoff system, almost anyside can manage two shock results in a row.

Mr Mxyzptlk

As close to = as far from. They were equidistant in terms of points from each position.
You say "neither was a realistic occurence" it become a whole lote more realistic with this playoff system, almost anyside can manage two shock results in a row.
Two shock results in a row against a vastly superior team is highly unlikely actually.

Uppercut

Highlights the distinct difference between finishing 6th in a 24-team league (which is what a Championship side has to do to make the playoffs) and finishing 7th in a 20-team league. It's much more reasonable to reward the first with a playoff place than it is to reward the second.