• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Dale Steyn the worst ever best fast bowler in the world?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
^ Thats interesting. He did have a decent test record though...I think he was averaging in the last 20s..and did manage to come up with 5-6 wicket haults against Australia, England overseas, did manage to bowl brilliantly against India, the one team both Warne and Murali failed against.
Saqlain never bowled well in England (played a whole 1 Test here in fact) and I don't have any memory of how he bowled in Australia in 1999/2000 either. Saqlain was indeed a decent Test bowler - on a turning wicket (even a very slow one) he was always a substantial handful. But on a good batting or seaming deck like any fingerspinner top-class batsmen would have no difficulty with him.

When Pakistan produced turners to suit him, and when he went to India and Sri Lanka, Saqlain was undoubtedly a top-notch bowler. But when Pakistan produced flatties\seamers, and when he toured to the likes of New Zealand, England, South Africa, Australia, he offered no penetration against good batsmen.
I think what led to Saqlain's downfall was burnout caused from playing too much county cricket in England. There was a time around 2000-01, when he picked county cricket over national duties. I think that upset PCB, team management and he was not given a fair chance to come back as they quickly looked to Kaneria to fill the spot.
Don't recall any such instance. Saqlain never played a full season for Surrey and missed large chunks of 1999, 2000 and 2001 due to Pakistan commitments. Kaneria and Saqlain played alongside one-another for several years and Saqlain was then invalided out of the side, and after taking about 2 years to recover from that injury he has never been remotely the same bowler again, and has then decided to prioritise county cricket (and the ICL) to cricket in Pakistan.

Can't honestly say I blame him either. For all county cricket's inadequacies, it's borderline royalty compared to domestic cricket in Pakistan.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't have a massive belief in finger-spinners myself, I am actually waiting with dread for Swann to be found out and his honeymoon to be over, but I don't like to write off an entire bowling style in one swoop either.
Oh I certainly don't like to write-off entire bowling styles in one swoop, and don't presume to do anything of the sort here. I'm merely saying that fingerspinners have irrevocable limitations, which manifest themselves far more in modern times than they used to. There's a difference between writing fingerspinners off (ie, saying "they're all no-hopers") and saying they're limited to being lesser than other styles of bowlers of equal calibre (ie, seamers).

Seamers have far more control over their own destiny than fingerspinners do. Wristspinners, meanwhile, tend to be either crap (>99%) or brilliant (<1%), so I don't tend to count them in the general scheme of things.
Singh is a very good bowler, he may take 450 wickets. I hope he does.
He's a very good fingerspinner; on a turning deck he's a massive threat, but the relatively rare nature of such decks means that in the grand scheme he's nothing more than a decent bowler. Saqlain was likewise.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Been off CW for a few days, but have to chirp in and note that Steyn's spell was pretty special. It pained me to see India go down like that, but tbph, we were lacking two of our top batsmen, who would have improved the situation, no doubt, that we ended up in. I do hope that Badri's knock was enough to keep him in the side, but tbf, he has had his opportunity and did not make the most of it. He looked good for his fifty, but the pitch was flat enough to him to carve out a hundred - you cannot expect him to score a hundred on any given day, mind, and I do accept that.

However, Steyn can only bowl over what is in front of him, and he did it with ease. Why I think Steyn is so effective, is that he gets an angled seam when the extreme pace is not there, allowing him to swing the new ball big, conventionally swing the medium aged ball late (stuff which I have seen him use to almost look like mocking middle and lower order batsmen) and reverse swing the old ball (my theory is that a highly angled seam or a pinpoint straight one is what is required for reverse swing).

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Saqlain never bowled well in England (played a whole 1 Test here in fact) and I don't have any memory of how he bowled in Australia in 1999/2000 either. Saqlain was indeed a decent Test bowler - on a turning wicket (even a very slow one) he was always a substantial handful. But on a good batting or seaming deck like any fingerspinner top-class batsmen would have no difficulty with him.

When Pakistan produced turners to suit him, and when he went to India and Sri Lanka, Saqlain was undoubtedly a top-notch bowler. But when Pakistan produced flatties\seamers, and when he toured to the likes of New Zealand, England, South Africa, Australia, he offered no penetration against good batsmen.
Not true. Saqlain won Pakistan a test in England. Even if you dont consider 4 wicket haul as a big deal, its still safe to conclude that he did offer penetration with a match haul of 7 wickets.

As for Australia, if Pakistan had won this test match, Saqlain would have been MOM and it would be considered as a match Saqlain won for Pakistan in Australia. That is something even Murali or Harbhajan have failed to do in Australia. Pakistan in all likelihood would have won that match had the UDRS been in place or had there been a different umpire instead of Peter Parkar.

Don't recall any such instance. Saqlain never played a full season for Surrey and missed large chunks of 1999, 2000 and 2001 due to Pakistan commitments. Kaneria and Saqlain played alongside one-another for several years and Saqlain was then invalided out of the side, and after taking about 2 years to recover from that injury he has never been remotely the same bowler again, and has then decided to prioritise county cricket (and the ICL) to cricket in Pakistan.

Can't honestly say I blame him either. For all county cricket's inadequacies, it's borderline royalty compared to domestic cricket in Pakistan.
[/quote]

In 2000, Saqlain skipped a lot of international tours to play in England. He skipped the Sharjah triseries involving India and South Africa, Asia Cup, tour of Sri Lanka that year.
Pakistan played Arshad Khan to replace him. I dont know whether he ended up playing full season or not..as I was not following county season but I do know that he picked County cricket over international duties.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not true. Saqlain won Pakistan a test in England. Even if you dont consider 4 wicket haul as a big deal, its still safe to conclude that he did offer penetration with a match haul of 7 wickets.
I watched just about every over of that Test and there's no way Saqlain bowled penetratively well. He troubled the tailenders, but the only top-order batsman he dismissed with a good delivery was Ian Ward; Alec Stewart rather inexplicably just padded-up to a straight ball. His match figures of 6-154 look impressive but when 4 of those 6 wickets are tailenders, I think not.
As for Australia, if Pakistan had won this test match, Saqlain would have been MOM and it would be considered as a match Saqlain won for Pakistan in Australia. That is something even Murali or Harbhajan have failed to do in Australia. Pakistan in all likelihood would have won that match had the UDRS been in place or had there been a different umpire instead of Peter Parkar.
Well I can't say I either watched that Test nor have read extensively about it TBH, so I can't really say much about that.
In 2000, Saqlain skipped a lot of international tours to play in England. He skipped the Sharjah triseries involving India and South Africa, Asia Cup, tour of Sri Lanka that year.
Pakistan played Arshad Khan to replace him. I dont know whether he ended up playing full season or not..as I was not following county season but I do know that he picked County cricket over international duties.
I see. Well as I say, he certainly never played a full county season in his initial stint at Surrey because Pakistan always had some commitments during all of his seasons. I don't, however, think someone is doing very much wrong by skipping yet another ODI triangular to commit themselves to a county. And it was only one serious competition, the Asia Cup, that he skipped BTW - the triangular in Sharjah you speak of finished on the 31st of March, at least a couple of weeks before the start of the county season, and Saqlain subsequently missed the start of the county season to tour West Indies. He subsequently missed the tour of Sri Lanka and the rather pointless Godrej Singapore Challenge in order to finish the 2000 season.

Winsome

Cricket Spectator
I don't think that he is the best bowler at present.
I know he is very good bowler but Stuart Broad is better that Styen. Even Umar Gul is better than Dale Styen. Styen is pretty good in tests but so boring in T20s.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I don't think that he is the best bowler at present.
I know he is very good bowler but Stuart Broad is better that Styen. Even Umar Gul is better than Dale Styen. Styen is pretty good in tests but so boring in T20s.

Just the logic tells you it's the truth.

Red

Just double posting to see if my ranking changes from U19 Vice Captain to something else with my 600th post on Cricketweb?

Red

Just double posting to see if my ranking changes from U19 Vice Captain to something else with my 600th post on Cricketweb?
Oh yeh! U19 captain. Pretty ok for a guy in his 30s!

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There is a point to be made there, in the sense that Larwood had no competition at all for the title of the 1930's greatest quick, but then again he would have been the greatest in any era