• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
After receiving hundreds of pleas to change my mind, I have unretired from the thread. I love you all, except the following:

Those who support Premier League clubs
Those who support League One clubs

I realise this leaves very few, but it's the thought that counts
:happy:

social

After receiving hundreds of pleas to change my mind, I have unretired from the thread. I love you all, except the following:

Those who support Premier League clubs
Those who support League One clubs

I realise this leaves very few, but it's the thought that counts
How about those of us that dont support anyone, just the sport?

duffer

Come on Arsene, next season, he has to be given a chance, he looks good and cannot be any worse than the two idiots we already have.
I like him but would rather buy a proven keeper(especially as our striker is costing us nothing). He's way too young to be getting the hype he is tbh and no-one really knows how he'll handle a game for us yet.

Sign a top 30+ keeper and let him be understudy for 2-3 years.

Pothas

I like him but would rather buy a proven keeper(especially as our striker is costing us nothing). He's way too young to be getting the hype he is tbh and no-one really knows how he'll handle a game for us yet.

Or just let us keep him:)

Jarquis

Frey turns 30 next month. Deal :p

Tom Halsey

International Coach
That penalty in the Carlisle vs Dirties tonight was I think the worst I have ever seen, worse even than Jaap Stam's all those years ago.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente

Yeah I wouldn't suggest that he is already worthy of being immediate first choice, but he certainly looks good enough to be the backup/understudy like you say. Would certainly rather have him waiting in the wings than Fabianski or Mannone. Very much doubt we'll be seeing a new keeper brought in though, Wenger clearly rates Almunia and I doubt he would be willing to spend the money that would doubtless be required to bring a keeper aged in his early 30s who would also be significantly better than Almunia is anyway. I think the best chance we have of getting shot of him is one of the younger players taking his place. But Fabianksi is just so poor and Mannone looks dubious as well.

duffer

Yeah I wouldn't suggest that he is already worthy of being immediate first choice, but he certainly looks good enough to be the backup/understudy like you say. Would certainly rather have him waiting in the wings than Fabianski or Mannone. Very much doubt we'll be seeing a new keeper brought in though, Wenger clearly rates Almunia and I doubt he would be willing to spend the money that would doubtless be required to bring a keeper aged in his early 30s who would also be significantly better than Almunia is anyway. I think the best chance we have of getting shot of him is one of the younger players taking his place. But Fabianksi is just so poor and Mannone looks dubious as well.
He tried to bring in Sorenson on the last day along with two other players. Epitome of panic buying tbh but it gves me hope the penny has dropped regarding our keepers. Although I think Sorenson is the wrong player I think he's the right type of player to be looking for if we really do rate Szczesny as a future custodian.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
He tried to bring in Sorenson on the last day along with two other players. Epitome of panic buying tbh but it gves me hope the penny has dropped regarding our keepers. Although I think Sorenson is the wrong player I think he's the right type of player to be looking for if we really do rate Szczesny as a future custodian.
Was there actually a genuine attempt to bring in Sorenson though? I didn't really see anything substantial which suggested that it was anything more than something churned up by the rumour mill. If it's true though I would probably agree, right type of player but the wrong player on this occasion. Also if it's true it's nice to know that Wenger has got the keeper situation in mind, despite a few obvious clangers Almunia often seems to escape under the radar due to the defence/midfield more often than not being at least partly culpable for a lot of the goals conceded. Now that any realistic chance of winning something this year has passed though i'm not too bothered about him remaining in goal for the rest of the season, would be nice to get the double over Liverpool tomorrow night though, the continuance of their plight is one of the few remaining joys I can take from this year I suspect. That said, am not expecting us to win, just can't see it somehow.

duffer

Was there actually a genuine attempt to bring in Sorenson though? I didn't really see anything substantial which suggested that it was anything more than something churned up by the rumour mill. If it's true though I would probably agree, right type of player but the wrong player on this occasion. Also if it's true it's nice to know that Wenger has got the keeper situation in mind, despite a few obvious clangers Almunia often seems to escape under the radar due to the defence/midfield more often than not being at least partly culpable for a lot of the goals conceded. Now that any realistic chance of winning something this year has passed though i'm not too bothered about him remaining in goal for the rest of the season, would be nice to get the double over Liverpool tomorrow night though, the continuance of their plight is one of the few remaining joys I can take from this year I suspect. That said, am not expecting us to win, just can't see it somehow.
Going by "in the knows" and the like but it seems there was a bit of a panic on the last couple of days of the window. Not that I excuse Wenger for it, he had 31 days to buy someone and shouldn't have needed one result to wake him up about the need for players.

It's a shame we threw away the FA Cup for this though. When you think about it, we're in 4 competitions every season, two of which we don't try to win and the other two where we don't have the squad to win or the will to improve said squad to a state where we can win it. Not sure why I even get my hopes up every season. Same old same old.

grecian

An iffy last-minute pen in a relegation dogfight sinks the Green-slime, just the funniest thing :laugh:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
How about those of us that dont support anyone, just the sport?
If you weren't mentioned then you're safe :p

Oh and SUPPEEEEEEEEEEERWHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITEARMY

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Going by "in the knows" and the like but it seems there was a bit of a panic on the last couple of days of the window. Not that I excuse Wenger for it, he had 31 days to buy someone and shouldn't have needed one result to wake him up about the need for players.

It's a shame we threw away the FA Cup for this though. When you think about it, we're in 4 competitions every season, two of which we don't try to win and the other two where we don't have the squad to win or the will to improve said squad to a state where we can win it. Not sure why I even get my hopes up every season. Same old same old.
It is easy to say that with hindsight though, if Arsenal had beaten Man Utd, and come away from Chelsea with a draw (neither being results beyond that ought to be beyond the current squad imo, though obviously in practise in didn't work out this way) then I would say that would have made the FA Cup a worthwhile sacrifice. As I've said before, it would be nice to win it, but I don't think it would satisfy the fans in general, and it certainly wouldn't satisfy me personally.

duffer

It is easy to say that with hindsight though, if Arsenal had beaten Man Utd, and come away from Chelsea with a draw (neither being results beyond that ought to be beyond the current squad imo, though obviously in practise in didn't work out this way) then I would say that would have made the FA Cup a worthwhile sacrifice. As I've said before, it would be nice to win it, but I don't think it would satisfy the fans in general, and it certainly wouldn't satisfy me personally.
Yeah I'm different in that way personally. I'd rather have us go for the trophies which are achievable than piss them away chasing fanciful ideas like the Premiership (considering our squad and their propensity to **** themselves I think it is fanciful). Seeing Arsenal in a cup final at Wembley would be a heap better than the **** on a stick collapses that we're being fed these days.

Either way, improve the squad to a state where we can actually compete in all competitions as opposed to neglecting it and having to sacrifice them and it becomes irrelevant.