• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

cpr

International Coach
And T&T ranked 84th. So I'm taking this as a personal insult, if Wales is a pointless team.
Your missing the point, at cricket you play as part of a combined West Indian team, therefore you shouldn't be allowed your own football team, or at the very least your best players should be allowed to be farmed off to play for Jamaica....

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Why on earth would you play for England if you can play for your country of birth- Wales? It's not like Wales has a Test team or anything. The situation in cricket is completely different.
Wales position as national football team should be under question. Since they first started qualifying for WC in 1950, they have only qualified once & thats since over 50 years ago.

Since EURO in 1964 has been around they have never qualified once & that was 34 years ago. Is this not a gash enough record to make their status as a "official" national team questionable?.

Their history is just a handful of really good players filled with gash players backing them up. So if FIFA where for example to revoke their status as official UEFA member & make them an associate nation or something, until they really improve im quite sure the psyche of the Welsh players may very well & consider playing for ENG. Instead of taking it for granted that they could just play Wales even though their national team is crap.

And hmmm, Wales with it's population being more than twice the size of Trinidad and Tobago, you have to wonder how useless you think that team is, aussie.
Trinidad although not great are one of the best/better teams in concacaf still right?. Joke concacaf nations like a Guyana & Suriname etc like with Wales in Uefa shouldn't have "official status" - but rather be an associate FIFA/Concacaf member until they really improve.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Haha, I see, so failure to qualify for a World Cup should automatically revoke your status as an independent country. What a great idea,

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Arsenal just beaten by the better team today, poor defending on the first goal (no idea why Clichy decided to come off the post just to walk to the middle of the area to do nothing) and caught out by a good move on the second. Chelsea just too good in every department. Drogba again showing why he is arguably the best player in the league. Ashley Cole and John Terry just far too good for the Arsenal attack, both of them absolutely brilliant today, much as I dislike the pair of them. And Cech was solid and competent when called upon and hardly ever looked stretched. I'm pleased that Denilson didn't play, and was satisifed with Diaby as a replacement, but yet again Clichy was poor, giving the ball away far too often and going missing on several occasions, I'm actually beginning to really get irked with him in fact, he is the one major weak link in the defence in my eyes, and his ability going forward is also massively overated for mine. Walcott also poor today, no idea why he was started ahead of Bendtner.
On my count for 60 odd minutes Walcott was on, Arsenal only attacked down the right about 4 times. The majority of the time they where attacking down the left with Nasri.

Yes Walcott was poor, played like a man who lacked game time season. But then again i dont think many right-winger in buisness is going to get past Big Ash ATM.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, I see, so failure to qualify for a World Cup should automatically revoke your status as an independent country. What a great idea,
Where did i say automatically?. We aint talking about 10 years here, they have a horrible 50 year record of qualifying for both WC & EURO. WC & EURO qualfiers are the only times the weaker/ football teams have an oppurtunity to prove improvement, if they aren't showing obvious signs of improvement in them & qualifying instead of being predominately a side where stronger teams generally score easy goals againts. That team definately shouldn't have official international status & should become an "associate" memember.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Where did i say automatically?. We aint talking about 10 years here, they have a horrible 50 year record of qualifying for both WC & EURO. WC & EURO qualfiers are the only times the weaker/ football teams have an oppurtunity to prove improvement, if they aren't showing obvious signs of improvement in them & qualifying instead of being predominately a side where stronger teams generally score easy goals againts. That team definately shouldn't have official international status & should become an "associate" memember.
Should probably revoke Egypt's national status then, given that they've only qualified for two World Cups since 1930.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Congratulations.
Ha. I dont want your congrats. You also need to get rid of Song & Diaby a some proper defensive mid-fielders. But then again given how Melo snubbed Arsenal down the other day, its worrying that players worldwide aren't feeling the gunners like before.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Ha. I dont want your congrats. You also need to get rid of Song & Diaby a some proper defensive mid-fielders. But then again given how Melo snubbed Arsenal down the other day, its worrying that players worldwide aren't feeling the gunners like before.
Song is doing a fine job at the moment, he has easily been one of the team's better performers all season, and today (for once) the game was not lost due to a deficient midfield.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Arsenal just beaten by the better team today, poor defending on the first goal (no idea why Clichy decided to come off the post just to walk to the middle of the area to do nothing) and caught out by a good move on the second. Chelsea just too good in every department. Drogba again showing why he is arguably the best player in the league. Ashley Cole and John Terry just far too good for the Arsenal attack, both of them absolutely brilliant today, much as I dislike the pair of them. And Cech was solid and competent when called upon and hardly ever looked stretched. I'm pleased that Denilson didn't play, and was satisifed with Diaby as a replacement, but yet again Clichy was poor, giving the ball away far too often and going missing on several occasions, I'm actually beginning to really get irked with him in fact, he is the one major weak link in the defence in my eyes, and his ability going forward is also massively overated for mine. Walcott also poor today, no idea why he was started ahead of Bendtner.
Walcott's not much use, but Bendtner was beyond bad today. I'm pretty sure Wenger just brought him on for some comic relief.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Your missing the point, at cricket you play as part of a combined West Indian team, therefore you shouldn't be allowed your own football team, or at the very least your best players should be allowed to be farmed off to play for Jamaica....
Oh I understand now. I retract my statement. Still offended though.

And forgot that the World Cup is all that matters in international football. Just poor luck to be from a small nation and therefore not good enough for international football.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Walcott's not much use, but Bendtner was beyond bad today. I'm pretty sure Wenger just brought him on for some comic relief.
I don't rate him as a player at all, at least by starting Bendtner today Arsenal would have actually had someone to aim their useless crosses at, it seems they still haven't learnt the lesson that their miniscule front line will not be a pair of world class centre backs in the air. Furthermore Bentdner at least can throw his weight about a bit, not that he's particularly effective at doing so, but at least it would add some sort of variation to the attacking play. He was pretty crap once he came on, but at the same time Arsenal looked better as a team once he did.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Good one.

Don't think Melo snubbed us, we never offered Fiorentina as much money as they wanted AFAIK.

Uppercut

I don't rate him as a player at all, at least by starting Bendtner today Arsenal would have actually had someone to aim their useless crosses at, it seems they still haven't learnt the lesson that their miniscule front line will not be a pair of world class centre backs in the air. Furthermore Bentdner at least can throw his weight about a bit, not that he's particularly effective at doing so, but at least it would add some sort of variation to the attacking play. He was pretty crap once he came on, but at the same time Arsenal looked better as a team once he did.
Bendtner's not getting on the end of any crosses. His movement is an embarrassment.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I thought Eboue was pretty good today actually, would rather have him on at left back than Clichy to be honest, that is how poor I am feeling about Clichy.

Jarquis

Yeah would rater see one of Bendtner/Walcott or maybe even Eboue on the pitch.
Against United we were far too one dimensional with a front 3 of Nasri - Arshavin - Rosicky. At least Bendtner/Walcott/Eboue have a niche of sorts whether it be pace of height. Which can be of use as an alternative method of attack.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Bendtner's not getting on the end of any crosses. His movement is an embarrassment.
He did win the ball in the air a few times today tbf, not that any good came of it, but that's still preferrable to lumping it over in Arshavin's direction so he can challenge John Terry for it.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Should probably revoke Egypt's national status then, given that they've only qualified for two World Cups since 1930.
Egypt situation is clearly different from Wales. They clearly are one of the best/if not the best African teams who improve all time (especially in the 2000s era)

They just seem to have a weird record of not doing well in WCQ in this late decade, after dominating African Cup of Nations in the last 5 years or so.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah would rater see one of Bendtner/Walcott or maybe even Eboue on the pitch.
Against United we were far too one dimensional with a front 3 of Nasri - Arshavin - Rosicky. At least Bendtner/Walcott/Eboue have a niche of sorts whether it be pace of height. Which can be of use as an alternative method of attack.
The attack was too one dimensional today as well tbh, you would have thought after the strategy of trying to pass it in triangles and quick one twos into the net had failed so comprehensively last time round they might have thought to try something else, other than the stupid crossing tactic, which for the life of me I cannot work out.

Matteh

Dear Aussie,

It has come to my attention that you're unsure over a few things. First of all, football is a different sport to cricket. This means a whole different set of regulations, traditions and histories. The main force of football in England is not the English and Welsh FA. Welsh players are Welsh.
Secondly, declaring a country shouldn't exist in footballing terms due to only qualifying for a WC once before is a baffling and complete brainfade of a comment. What about the teams that have never qualified? We should merge all their countries together so maybe they will be able to play football better, just a suggestion. Hell, if someone's born with a club foot, they'll be no good at football for their country so we may as well throw them in a bin rather than waste our efforts on them. I hope you go far in your efforts to improve football in impoverished areas without important football skills, although sadly i think you'll lose the battle to cricket on the subcontinent and camel racing in Syria.

Regards,

Matteh