• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ottis Gibson quits England for Windies role

Craig

World Traveller
If we're going on FC cricket alone then Ramdin should be opening the batting for us :laugh: , the bottom line is the kid has talent and i'd like to see him given a chance, he's played one day cricket for the West Indies already and scored 19 runs off 16 balls against India, all the kid needs now IMO is experience in the longer form of the game.
That's hardly convincing that he is worth of a spot in the Test team. I don't doubt that he is talented, but you ignore my point, is he scoring enough runs in FC cricket to be worthy of a spot, or is it just talent and potential?

"Probably" doesn't mean "true" though does it? and in all honesty i'm inclined to believe you wouldn't be making such a case if Aamer wasn't proving your theory wrong..

Yes i'm enthusiastic about Wi's young talent, why shouldn't i be? i mean i called for Barath to be called up last year and you've already confessed that you didn't agree with his call up so looking at things right now who do you think got it right? :laugh: .
Barath has only played a few Tests, let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet. In 12 months time we will have a better idea.

Last edited:

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
That's hardly convincing that he is worth of a spot in the Test team. I don't doubt that he is talented, but you ignore my point, is he scoring enough runs in FC cricket to be worthy of a spot, or is it just talent and potential?

Barath has only played a few Tests, let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet. In 12 months time we will have a better idea.
Not to mention the fact that Barath had already completely dominated our FC competition, averaging 45 or more for 3 years in a row.

Darren Bravo is an amazing young batsman who had a breakout year in FC cricket in 2009. Unfortunately he is just returning from injury and will only play 2/3 matches Fc matches this year. I would send him on the supposedly upcoming A team tours and if he moves his FC average to 40 or more then he is worth a go.

I am not against playing teenagers at Test level if they have decent FC records behind them (like Barath) but you can't play a kid just because he can cover drive like Lara, the stats have to be there.

Like Windie Weathers, I have a huge amount of belief in Bravo, Braithwaite, Dowrich, Carriah and Holder but throwing them in before they have proven themselves for at least 2 years at FC level is just inviting them to fail.

WindieWeathers

International Regular

Yes his FC record isn't as impressive as Barath's was but that doesn't mean he can't cut it at test level does it? maybe his progress is just little bit behind Barath's but like i've been saying from the start the kid has got huge potential, he's just come back from injury so hopefully he can really give the selectors something to think about now, personally i think his ODI knock against India is a sign of things to come,

And yes i know it's just the start for Barath but when you see a lad so young get a 100 on his debut then one can't help but have high hopes, it seems like some people would prefer talk about the youngsters that have failed rather than take spirit from the ones who are succeeding.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Not to mention the fact that Barath had already completely dominated our FC competition, averaging 45 or more for 3 years in a row.

Darren Bravo is an amazing young batsman who had a breakout year in FC cricket in 2009. Unfortunately he is just returning from injury and will only play 2/3 matches Fc matches this year. I would send him on the supposedly upcoming A team tours and if he moves his FC average to 40 or more then he is worth a go.

I am not against playing teenagers at Test level if they have decent FC records behind them (like Barath) but you can't play a kid just because he can cover drive like Lara, the stats have to be there.

Like Windie Weathers, I have a huge amount of belief in Bravo, Braithwaite, Dowrich, Carriah and Holder but throwing them in before they have proven themselves for at least 2 years at FC level is just inviting them to fail.
Believe me Beamer i'm not saying Brathwaite, Dowrich or Carriah should be in the side now, of course they shouldn't because senior players in their respective positions are doing well like Gayle, Ramdin, Dwayne Bravo etc, Holder i admit i wouldn't mind seeing him with the seniors very soon, the kid just looked like the real deal at the u19's and i think he's a big star in the making, he's already made his debut for Barbados and done well so i'd imagine it won't be that long before he steps up anway.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Here's a report about the confirmation and Gibson's role.

Ottis Gibson confirmed as West Indies coach

February 2, 2010

Ottis Gibson will take over as West Indies coach in time for the home series against Zimbabwe later this month. The WICB chief executive Ernest Hilaire has confirmed reports that Gibson left his post as England's bowling coach to take up the vacancy created by the sacking of John Dyson last year.

"Ottis will begin his appointment from the start of the home series against Zimbabwe," Hilaire said in a CBC Radio interview. "I think we need to take Ottis' appointment in stride. He will be the head coach of the WICB, and not just head coach of the senior team. He will have responsibility for coaching right across all of our representative cricket teams.

"This will give him an opportunity to stamp a particular style of coaching a West Indies way across all the teams. This is really important because by the time our players reach the senior team, they should be the finished article, and they really ought to be focussing mainly on their strategy, tactics, how they win games, and being able to execute."

The interim coach David Williams will remain in charge for the one-day tour of Australia, which starts over the next week, before becoming Gibson's assistant. The Zimbabwe series begins with a Twenty20 international in Trinidad on February 28 and Hilaire said it was important to give Gibson time to stamp his mark on the team.

"I think this has to be a long-term project," he said. "This is not a short-term project. We are not asking Ottis to turn around the West Indies fortunes and make them a winning team overnight. There has to be a gradual chain of development."

A fast-bowling allrounder during his playing days, Gibson represented West Indies in two Tests and 15 one-day internationals, and had a long first-class career in the Caribbean, South Africa and England. He coached within the ECB academy system before taking on the role as England's bowling coach in 2007 and Hilaire said Gibson's experience made him the best candidate.

"We hope that with him responsible for all coaching, he can start outlining to the coaches of all our teams the kind of players and approaches he wants from the players to ensure there is a clear career pathway as they move from the junior ranks to the senior team.

"He is a new era coach, and someone who has been exposed to all of the technologies and new approaches to coaching. We are hoping that he will bring to this task, an understanding of West Indies cricket. He will have all requisite knowledge and skills."
LINK

It all sounds too good to be true :laugh:, the fact that he'll be looking after the youngsters too is just brilliant, the guy has a wealth of experience at the top level and i wish the guy luck, as they say things won't turn over night but as long as progress is made step by step i'll be happy.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Jeez this WI team is going to be a pretty big threat in the next few years. That pace attack if it comes together is going to be their best in a long long time.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Jeez this WI team is going to be a pretty big threat in the next few years. That pace attack if it comes together is going to be their best in a long long time.
That's exactly what i'm counting on man!! :thumbup: , in the past our bowlers have been left to do their own thing, expected to perform miracles without any guidance but the talented bunch we've got coming through now will have the best bowling coach in the world (imo) working with them so it's bound to bare fruit at some stage.

Craig

World Traveller
Yes his FC record isn't as impressive as Barath's was but that doesn't mean he can't cut it at test level does it? maybe his progress is just little bit behind Barath's but like i've been saying from the start the kid has got huge potential, he's just come back from injury so hopefully he can really give the selectors something to think about now, personally i think his ODI knock against India is a sign of things to come,

And yes i know it's just the start for Barath but when you see a lad so young get a 100 on his debut then one can't help but have high hopes, it seems like some people would prefer talk about the youngsters that have failed rather than take spirit from the ones who are succeeding.
If there are any 'A' team tours coming up, then it would be perfect for Darren Bravo to go on and the rest of the other talented prospects. I just want to give these guys a year or so and then see where they are at, I'm not knocking them in anyway. Why the WICB scraped the West Indies 'B' team that played in the FC competition still astounds me.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
If there are any 'A' team tours coming up, then it would be perfect for Darren Bravo to go on and the rest of the other talented prospects. I just want to give these guys a year or so and then see where they are at, I'm not knocking them in anyway. Why the WICB scraped the West Indies 'B' team that played in the FC competition still astounds me.
I have to agree with you there, i think he's a cert for the "A team" along with Brathwaite, Dowrich, Holder, Carriah etc, it should be fun watching them that's for sure, i think the time to blood a newbie could be in Gibson's first series against Zimbabwe at home to be honest, it would be good test experience and i can't see us losing it with the other experienced players involved.

shivfan

Banned
Nash's "patience" was all in vain though because a little after Deonarine went Nash's stumps went flying too :laugh: , it's one thing being calm and taking your time, and it's another thing not contributing any runs and putting all the pressure on your partner, and that's exactly what Nash did.
I'm sorry, I don't buy that....

This is Test cricket, which stretches for five days. You don't have to be scoring at a brisk rate, and there will be times when you're bogged down. All you have to do is ride it out, not try to hit yourself out of it. Other batsmen in the side would do well to adopt the temperament of a Nash or a Chanderpaul.

If other batsmen had been as productive as Nash was, the West Indies would not have lost that Test series 2-0....

shivfan

Banned
I already said i'd replace Nash WITH DEONARINE who isn't a youngster :cool: , i mean damn anyone would think Nash was world class :laugh: , he's done ok but for me we need someone in the middle order who has more shots in their arsenal. Nash is nothing but a survivor imo, but we need someone who can actually WIN us a game for once.
Nobody here says that Nash is world-class. But you select your best six batsmen, and Nash is one of them....

Nash's Test batting record is better than Dwayne Bravo's.

It's a fallacy to think that compilers of runs don't win Test matches for us. Back in the day, Larry Gomes won a lot of Tests for us by batting in the Shiv-Nash mode....

shivfan

Banned
So i take it you're clued up on everything that goes on in West Indian cricket? :unsure: if Adrian Barath at the age of 19 can make his test debut why on earth can't 20 year old Darren Bravo make his soon too? his name has just as much buzz as Barath's did imo.
I repeat, what has Darren Bravo done for Trinidad this season? Until he proves himself in first-class cricket in the four-day game, it's foolhardy to usher him into the Test team to face the likes of Steyn and Morkel....

shivfan

Banned
Until it's proven otherwise then he's 17, i know Asian sides have had a few issues with the age of their players in the past but we can't paint everyone with the same brush, even if he's 20 he's still holding his own at test level, when i look at Jason Holder he has a physique beyond his years, even though he just turned 18 he looks like he's about 25 already and his bowling is just deadly, that's why i believe he'll be ready to step up sooner rather than later.
Jason Holder hasn't even played first-class cricket for Barbados yet. He's just had a few outings for the under-19 side in one-day games - hardly preparation for Test cricket, IMHO.

Let him have a season playing for Barbados first, before throwing him to the wolves....

Remember what happened to Xavier Marshall? He was ushered into test cricket far too early, IMO.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Jason Holder hasn't even played first-class cricket for Barbados yet. He's just had a few outings for the under-19 side in one-day games - hardly preparation for Test cricket, IMHO.

Let him have a season playing for Barbados first, before throwing him to the wolves....

Remember what happened to Xavier Marshall? He was ushered into test cricket far too early, IMO.
Erm actually you're wrong there Shiv as Holder has already made his FC debut for Barbados last year in a match against Guyana, and yes Marshall failed but Roach and Barath haven't so why can't other young stars follow in the latters footsteps?.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
I repeat, what has Darren Bravo done for Trinidad this season? Until he proves himself in first-class cricket in the four-day game, it's foolhardy to usher him into the Test team to face the likes of Steyn and Morkel....
We'll he's been injured hasn't he? but that doesn't mean he hasn't got the talent to cut it at test level 8-) , he's back now so we'll see how he does, and btw our next proper series is against Zimbabwe so he wouldn't be facing "Steyn and Morkel" straight away.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
I'm sorry, I don't buy that....

This is Test cricket, which stretches for five days. You don't have to be scoring at a brisk rate, and there will be times when you're bogged down. All you have to do is ride it out, not try to hit yourself out of it. Other batsmen in the side would do well to adopt the temperament of a Nash or a Chanderpaul.

If other batsmen had been as productive as Nash was, the West Indies would not have lost that Test series 2-0....
That's the thing he wasn't that "productive" and Deonarine scored more runs than him, even the commentators were moaning about how negative he was, it's one thing being calm and picking your shots carefully and it's another thing not making a single run for an hour, that's just plain gutless IMO, if he'd not made a run for an hour but then put his foot on the gas and made 30 runs then fair enough, but he got bowled soon after so it was a waste of time.

Flem274*

123/5
Brendon Nash is awesome.

Jason Holder is medium pace, needs to gain a few ks in the next few years.

Bye guys.