• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
TBF I wanted to keep hold of Tevez as much as anyone, but comparing having him in the side with having Owen in the side isn't really fair considering he'd have cost £30m more and double the wages.
That isn't any fairer a comparison.

Taking Owen was simply good business, even though he's performed poorly. Manure should have kept Tevez if they had the chance. By all means offload Berbatov, but you shouldn't be letting first team players (which Tevez certainly should have been) go if you're a rich trophy winning side like Manure.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I agree, it's just not really fair on Owen that he's always dragged into an issue that he has nothing much to do with. One injury time winner against Citeh and a Champions League hat-trick is definitely good value from someone you paid £0.00 for.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I agree, it's just not really fair on Owen that he's always dragged into an issue that he has nothing much to do with. One injury time winner against Citeh and a Champions League hat-trick is definitely good value from someone you paid £0.00 for.
I agree that it is harsh on Owen, I have always liked him as a player and I don't think he really could have done a great deal more than he has done. But to attempt to utilise him as a replacement for a fully fit world class striker just seems a bit odd to me, sure, no cost, but quality is often worth paying out for. I mean, you could replace a state of the art reliable car with a cheaper alternative that has a long history of breaking down but is occasionally effective, good business? Not sure myself.

Uppercut

I don't think he should be considered a replacement for Tevez though, it would have been excellent business even if Tevez was still at the club. Taking Owen for free= good business, letting Tevez go without finding a proper replacement=bad business. Unrelated issues I'd say.

It's also strange that everyone knew Tevez was unreal except Fergie, such balls-ups are pretty rare for him.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I don't think he should be considered a replacement for Tevez though, it would have been excellent business even if Tevez was still at the club. Taking Owen for free= good business, letting Tevez go without finding a proper replacement=bad business. Unrelated issues I'd say.

It's also strange that everyone knew Tevez was unreal except Fergie, such balls-ups are pretty rare for him.
Well, I would say it is fairly obvious he is a replacement, in my eyes anyway, one striker goes out, another comes in .That said, I would agree that if Owen had signed whilst Tevez was still at the club it would have been good business.

Uppercut

Or if he'd signed him and also signed a fitter replacement, it would have been good business. And if he hadn't signed Owen at all it would have been even worse business.

So the mistake actually has nothing to do with signing Owen, the mistake was not signing someone else as well.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Or if he'd signed him and also signed a fitter replacement, it would have been good business. And if he hadn't signed Owen at all it would have been even worse business.

So the mistake actually has nothing to do with signing Owen, the mistake was not signing someone else as well.
Well, yes, quite. Was never in dispute for mine.

grecian

Still think Owen is a mistake his wages could be spent on someone who isn't finished or a noted disrupted influence. Most of the time his impact has been minimal and people seem to be latching onto one or two decent performances.

Anyway, according to the Mail, the Arse have signed Sol Campbell, not sure about that signing either...

Edit: been confirmed

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
So in other words you don't know what you're talking about, seeing as Bordeaux had the right to buy him at any point during the loan, and therefore nobody else could buy him.
So you are saying if a player has been loaded out to a next club, the parent club (in Gourcuff's case ATT AC Milan) couldn't sell him to bigger club. Even if Bourdeaux wanted to keep & Gourcufff himself wanted to leave?

In fact Milan wanted him back but weren't allowed to.
May i have some proof of this thanks?.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I think Bordeaux had first dibs on Gourcuff. Such agreements, especially with loan players, are common place.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, basically unless Gourcuff kicked up a massive stink he was pretty much a Bordeaux player from the moment he joined them on loan, subject to them expressing a wish to keep him permanently.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So you are saying if a player has been loaded out to a next club, the parent club (in Gourcuff's case ATT AC Milan) couldn't sell him to bigger club. Even if Bourdeaux wanted to keep & Gourcufff himself wanted to leave?
Not if there's a contract in place giving the club the right to buy during the loan (although obviously a contract has to be agreed with the player) - therefore Gourcouff was never available for transfer.

May i have some proof of this thanks?.

Bordeaux sign Gourcuff from AC Milan - European, Football - The Independent

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, basically unless Gourcuff kicked up a massive stink he was pretty much a Bordeaux player from the moment he joined them on loan, subject to them expressing a wish to keep him permanently.
Yea this is my point. No big club IIRC went for him, so he pretty much had no reason to kick up a massive stink.

Not if there's a contract in place giving the club the right to buy during the loan (although obviously a contract has to be agreed with the player) - therefore Gourcouff was never available for transfer.
This is key part & i dont believe when Gourcuff went on loan back Milan he definately wanted to stay long term. He himself said in that article below:

quote said:
"I am very happy to continue the adventure I've started with Bordeaux," Gourcuff said on the club's website today. "My decision to sign with Bordeaux was taken over the course of the season."

I dont see any proof their that Milan had wanted him back. But rather that they didn't want him back, since he clearly did spend most of Milan days on the bench.

the independent said:
When Milan loaned Gourcuff in June, they gave Bordeaux the option of buying the 22-year-old for €15m as he was not included in Milan coach Carlo Ancelotti's long-term plans

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yea this is my point. No big club IIRC went for him, so he pretty much had no reason to kick up a massive stink.

This is key part & i dont believe when Gourcuff went on loan back Milan he definately wanted to stay long term. He himself said in that article below:

I dont see any proof their that Milan had wanted him back. But rather that they didn't want him back, since he clearly did spend most of Milan days on the bench.

A massive stink would have just ended in a legal battle, it would not have necessarily changed the outcome whatsoever. Obviously this is difficult to ascertain when we have no idea what the terms of the agreement between himself and the two clubs were, but I would suggest it likely that he would have been made to stay with Bordeaux as effectively he was a Bordeaux player since he joined them on loan, and them deciding they would want to keep him. As such it was probably irrelevant as to whether or not Milan wanted him back or not, as the price of sale had already been agreed.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
BBC Sport - Football - Philippe Senderos keen to leave Arsenal

Good Riddance, would take a 35 year old Sol Campbell over you any day. If someone is willing to cough up a few million for Senderos we really ought to be biting their hand off for it. Shame he never really achieved his promise after starting so well, remember that game in the Champions league against Bayern Munich where he kept Sol Campbell out of the side and was immense, but memories totally soured by his woefully inept performances over the years that followed, the Champions League exit at the hands of Liverpool being the worst in my mind.

Pothas

ahahaha Senderos, always a dislike for me, remember Drogba destroying him on a couple of occasions.

cpr

International Coach
Still don't want him.
Wow, just wow. The guy is ****ing on the Prem, making us eat our words, firing our rivals up the table whilst we stagnate offering little in attack. The guys in the form of his life, and his skill is shining through in leaps and bounds.

Saying you dont want Carlos Tevez at your club is like saying you dont want Scarlett Johanssen in your bed.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Wow, just wow. The guy is ****ing on the Prem, making us eat our words, firing our rivals up the table whilst we stagnate offering little in attack. The guys in the form of his life, and his skill is shining through in leaps and bounds.

Saying you dont want Carlos Tevez at your club is like saying you dont want Scarlett Johanssen in your bed.
Flat, Beyonce IMO..