• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in Australia

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
4th Test: India v Australia at Nagpur, Nov 6-10, 2008 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

India 6-166 in the 2nd innings and choking. Suddenly Cam White and Michael Clarke come on to bowl after tea.

Such an awesome moment.
And Hussey. :p
That was my WTF moment of the decade - and the worst captaincy of the decade. It was awesome to see, and the funny part about that is that if he had bowled India out, as he certainly would have with his frontline bowlers, he wouldn't have faced any overrate fines.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Border is really trying very hard to control himself. He said:"I am glad Ricky can't read my mind right now because he is not going to like it".

Sir Alex

Banned
Border is really trying very hard to control himself. He said:"I am glad Ricky can't read my mind right now because he is not going to like it".
Haha I remember watching it live. Captainy Grumpy was never more angrier in what I've seen of him so far.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Lol. Akhtar is done mate.....he ruined his career. Would have been mighty effective on this green top though...
Sure is. But sometimes a guy who is quick and lean and has one heck of a run up is exactly who we need to partner Asif who is like Glenn McGrath.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Sure is. But sometimes a guy who is quick and lean and has one heck of a run up is exactly who we need to partner Asif who is like Glenn McGrath.
Too many problems with him, don't forget, he was a very bad influence on Asif. Sometimes its important to look at what a person brings to the team other then his cricketing skills. Akhtar is a big liability in that regard.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Too many problems with him, don't forget, he was a very bad influence on Asif. Sometimes its important to look at what a person brings to the team other then his cricketing skills. Akhtar is a big liability in that regard.
But putting that aside, he was just fun to watch and also had an influence on Asifs bowling.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
4th Test: India v Australia at Nagpur, Nov 6-10, 2008 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

India 6-166 in the 2nd innings and choking. Suddenly Cam White and Michael Clarke come on to bowl after tea.

Such an awesome moment.

silentstriker said:
That was my WTF moment of the decade - and the worst captaincy of the decade. It was awesome to see, and the funny part about that is that if he had bowled India out, as he certainly would have with his frontline bowlers, he wouldn't have faced any overrate fines.

HAA, thats now how it went down.

- Firstly after tea on day 4 when IND where 166/6, Ponting didn't come out IMMEDIATELY & bowl the part-timers. I remember him starting with the main bowlers, before all the confusion started. Where he then he left the field, then when he came back on with seemingly talking to match refree or something & brought on those part-timers in a crazy few minutes..

- Lee also was injured as it was proven after the match, (that on-field spat ATT wasn't Ponting telling Lee you can't bowl because Lee wanted to) so Ponting couldn't even bowl him if he wanted to. Overall it was clearly a situation that Ponting was foreced into.

- Ponting main wicket-taking threats ATT where Krejza & Watson. Krejza was always bowling, even if Watson could have bowled after tea with the ball reversing & bowled IND out faster for lets say 200 & AUS had to chase 300. AUS still would not have been in a position of superiority, just in with "sniff" of victory.

So the cricticsm that Ponting was trying to avoid a fine & not looking to win the test is rubbish.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
HAA, thats now how it went down.

- Firstly after tea on day 4 when IND where 166/6, Ponting didn't come out IMMEDIATELY & bowl the part-timers. I remember him starting with the main bowlers, before all the confusion started. Where he then he left the field, then when he came back on with seemingly talking to match refree or something & brought on those part-timers in a crazy few minutes..

- Lee also was injured as it was proven after the match, (that on-field spat ATT wasn't Ponting telling Lee you can't bowl because Lee wanted to) so Ponting couldn't even bowl him if he wanted to. Overall it was clearly a situation that Ponting was foreced into.

- Ponting main wicket-taking threats ATT where Krejza & Watson. Krejza was always bowling, even if Watson could have bowled after tea with the ball reversing & bowled IND out faster for lets say 200 & AUS had to chase 300. AUS still would not have been in a position of superiority, just in with "sniff" of victory.

So the cricticsm that Ponting was trying to avoid a fine & not looking to win the test is rubbish.
So the fact that he admitted he did it because of the overrate was a masterplan to cover up his brilliant strategy?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
So the fact that he admitted he did it because of the overrate was a masterplan to cover up his brilliant strategy?
:laugh:. No, the overate problem was the reason Ponting wasn't able to continue with this pre-tea wicket-taking strategy of Watson/Krejza bowling in tandem. As i said he was clearly forced into bowling those part-timers..

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So we might as well say "McGrath at 80 would've demolished Pakistan today"

Probably true but just as irrelevant

social

Phil Hughes is the worst australian test opener I've ever seen. Absolutely ****.
Hate his technique, doesnt deserve to be there but he is a world class talent and I wouldnt like the young man destroyed by one test just because the Aussie selectors dont know **** so hope he scores a few

social

Ponting is too proud to ever bat 5 in my opinion.
Should bat 4

Great, great player but clearly on the downward slide

5 years ago, he'd have scored a minimum of 5 tons last year

Get whoever in as an opener, play Watson at 3 and move on IMO

Wont happen obviously

slowfinger

International Debutant
So we might as well say "McGrath at 80 would've demolished Pakistan today"

Probably true but just as irrelevant
Not my point. I was just trying to aknowledge the partnership. Think of it as Lee/McGrath together but not quite as good.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
:laugh:. No, the overate problem was the reason Ponting wasn't able to continue with this pre-tea wicket-taking strategy of Watson/Krejza bowling in tandem. As i said he was clearly forced into bowling those part-timers..
And hence it was a horrendous decision. He should have bowled them anyway, like every other Aussie captain would have done.