• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in Australia

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Ponting is too proud to ever bat 5 in my opinion.
Disagree. If Australia have a player willing to put himself on the line for the cause it's Ponting IMO. He may not be the smartest or wiliest tactician, but whatever he does it is usually in the right spirit.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ponting is too proud to ever bat 5 in my opinion.
Don't see Clarke batting six either. If North was going to be dropped I'd look at bringing another opener in, batting Watson or Katich at four and putting Hussey at six. Hussey's excellent at batting with the tail and he's quite adaptable in how he paces his innings, plus the selectors will be looking at phasing him out anyway and six is a more expendable position.

As it stands though I'd just leave North. He hasn't had a great summer but I still think he's the best option, mainly because you don't have to reshuffle the entire team to play him.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Disagree. If Australia have a player willing to put himself on the line for the cause it's Ponting IMO. He may not be the smartest or wiliest tactician, but whatever he does it is usually in the right spirit.
Like bowling part timers to avoid an over rate fine and cost Australia a test series :ph34r:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think a better way of putting what Jono was saying is that Ponting has too much faith in his own batting and general self-belief to actually buy into the idea of batting five being the best option for the team. If he did then I'm sure he'd do it, but he's always been a lead-from-the-front type captain with his batting who takes the responsibility upon himself to get the job done and backs his own ability.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah Prince has hit the nail on the head.

I don't see Ponting truly believing Watson at 3 is better for the Australian team then him at 3. Particularly in the year 2010. Maybe in 2 years.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Like bowling part timers to avoid an over rate fine and cost Australia a test series :ph34r:
That wasn't his decision alone; the team didn't want him missing out IIRC. If it were down to his own choice I'd bet Ponting would rather take a hit for the team. Nothing ever coming out of him suggests otherwise.

In these times especially, where the team's fate is even more on his shoulders and his success being so tied to the team's I feel even more confident he'd do whatever is needed to help the side.

Anyway, Ponting doesn't need to bat at 6 for this side and Australia are nowhere near the need for that kind of shift around in the order. If North were dropped I'd rather Katich go to the middle order anyway. He can go straight to 6 or he can go to 4 with Hussey at 6. There is no need to shift the team's best and most experienced batsman when others around him are perfectly capable.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I think a better way of putting what Jono was saying is that Ponting has too much faith in himself and general self-belief to actually buy into the idea of batting five being the best option for the team. If he did then I'm sure he'd do it, but he's always been a lead-from-the-front type captain with his batting who takes the responsibility upon himself to get the job done and backs his own ability.
That makes much more sense. Didn't see the rationale behind making out as if Ponting would put his fate before the team's.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
That wasn't his decision alone; the team didn't want him missing out IIRC. If it were down to his own choice I'd bet Ponting would rather take a hit from the team. Nothing ever coming out of him suggests otherwise.
Chill, was just kidding.

Still, the lowest moment in Australian cricket for some time.

Notorious1

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
TBH I don't think Australia has nothing to worry about as far as their batting is concerned. It was just good bowling.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
TBH I don't think Australia has nothing to worry about as far as their batting is concerned. It was just good bowling.
Heh - of the top seven, only Watson and Clarke really got jaffas tbh. Asif is a good bowler but there's no real hiding the fact that they batted like crap IMO.