• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in Australia

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Like Sid's seam position for this deck tbh.

**** you Channel 9! Get ****ed! News "after the cricket". Has the cricket finished? No it ****ing well hasn't, but your **** for brains coverage has. That's it. I'm ringing up.
:laugh:

I want a recording.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Well, at least we got above 125. 8-)

We'll need to bowl really, really well tomorrow. Wouldn't put it past Pakistan to implode, though.

Last edited:

Beleg

International Regular
one of the nicer days for a **** fan

hope tomorrow's almost as good - anything over 300 and pakistan's set, anything under and its anyone's game

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
There's Dale Steyn but Asif is very close. Hope he manages to stay clean and continue playing test cricket.
I'm leaning towards the theory that Mohammad Asif is lethal on decks with life, due to his extreme accuracy and prodigious movement, but he often doesn't do enough when the deck isn't spicy (Karachi 2006 is a notable exception), because of a relative lack of pace and an unwillingness to really bend his back. He's kind of like a younger (and thus faster) version of Stuart Clark in a way.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm leaning towards the theory that Mohammad Asif is lethal on decks with life, due to his extreme accuracy and prodigious movement, but he often doesn't do enough when the deck isn't spicy (Karachi 2006 is a notable exception), because of a relative lack of pace and an unwillingness to really bend his back. He's kind of like a younger (and thus faster) version of Stuart Clark in a way.
While I agree that Asif's lack fo pace makes him less threatening on flat decks and in today's world he is going to be bowling more on flat decks than the green top he got here in Sydney, I think reducing him to the level of Stuart Clark is doing him injustice. He took 50 test wickets in 11 test matches. Thats a tremendous acheivement. he has singlehandedly won Paksitan a series in Sri Lanka, destroyed Indian, South Africa, and today Australian batting line ups. You give Stuart Clark a green top and I doubt he would be able to do this much damage to a strong batting line up.

Also, a bit off topic but Karachi 2006 was a green top..There was a reason Irfan Pathan got a hatrick in that match..which ofcourse reinforces the arguement that Asif is lethal only when conditins are conducive.

asif is the best fast bowler in the world since bond retired isnt he?
For me, even with Bond he was the best but I might be a bit biased here :dry:

social

While I agree that Asif's lack fo pace makes him less threatening on flat decks and in today's world he is going to be bowling more on flat decks than the green top he got here in Sydney, I think reducing him to the level of Stuart Clark is doing him injustice. He took 50 test wickets in 11 test matches. Thats a tremendous acheivement. he has singlehandedly won Paksitan a series in Sri Lanka, destroyed Indian, South Africa, and today Australian batting line ups. You give Stuart Clark a green top and I doubt he would be able to do this much damage to a strong batting line up.

Also, a bit off topic but Karachi 2006 was a green top..There was a reason Irfan Pathan got a hatrick in that match..which ofcourse reinforces the arguement that Asif is lethal only when conditins are conducive.

Urm, Stuart Clark has taken 90 odd test wickets at 23

It's a compliment to be compared to him

Son Of Coco

He must be one hell of a bowler if comparing him to Stuart Clark can be called 'reducing him to the level of...'. Clark took apart a South African batting line up in SA a few years back if I recall correctly.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Most people, with the advantage of hindsight will bash the crap out of Ponting but I thought it was a pretty brave decision when he opted to bat. This is a side that prides itself on being the best team in the world, is up against a side which is ranked 7 or 8, has beaten them 9 times in the last 9 test matches...if you are not going to be brave now then when? It didnt work out ofcourse..but I think you have to give credit where its due..The Pakistanis bowled well..and some of the shots played by Hussey, Ponting himself, and Haddin were just shocking to say the least.

The commentary was despicable once again. Here is Mohammad Asif, with one of the best spells of swing bowling you will see in today's times, a delivery to Michael Clarke that should rank as the delivery of the year, and all I hear from Michael Slater is "oh what the hell is going on? Marcus North is gone" well ofcourse he is gone..coz Asif is bowling so well..so stop worrying about Marcus North and give credit where its due.

Channel 9 commentary team has never impressed me apart from Ian Chappell, Bill Lawry and Tony Greig..oh how I miss Michael Holding and David Lloyd.

I think Pakistan's bowling is still not at its best. Gul and Kaneria look flat. Too much work load on Asif now.. I am glad Yousuf persisted with Gul in the end and gave him ample opportunity to have a go at the tail..get a wicket..that should do his confidence a world of good..

Sami..what can I say about this man. There was a time back in 2001-02 when like most Pakistani fan, I couldnt stop talking about him and dreaming about an attack of Wasim, Waqar, Shoaib and Sami. Within 3 years, after the series defeat against India in 04, I had lost all that excitement. Infact, so disappointed I was with Sami's repeated failures that I was forced to disagree with my cricketing hero Imran Khan because he kept backing and admiring Sami and saying he has Malcolm Marshall's natural flair.

I dont understand fast bowling as well as Imran Khan..maybe he saw something in him..maybe Waqar was instrumental in getting Sami's focus right..but today I am a Sami fan..what a spell of fast bowling that was...the delivery to Watson...unbelieveable.

:thumbs_up

I just hope the batsmen dont let Pakistan down now. The bowlers have done the job..placed Pakistan in a commanding position. The captain Yousuf now has to just step up...and get it in his head that he is not getting out without scoring a 100 tomorrow..simple as that..he has to now support the excellent work done by his bowlers with a magnificient 100.

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

The commentary was despicable once again. Here is Mohammad Asif, with one of the best spells of swing bowling you will see in today's times, a delivery to Michael Clarke that should rank as the delivery of the year, and all I hear from Michael Slater is "oh what the hell is going on? Marcus North is gone" well ofcourse he is gone..coz Asif is bowling so well..so stop worrying about Marcus North and give credit where its due.
To be fair to the commentary team they did say it was a magnificent delivery to Clarke and talked up Asif's bowling. The delivery was replayed quite a bit for the rest of the afternoon. I enjoy the comments from Slats, Warney and Tubby Taylor. Even though they can be annoying at times they know a lot about the game. Slats seems to throw in a little too much chuckling these days though. Enjoy Bill and Richie sometimes too.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Urm, Stuart Clark has taken 90 odd test wickets at 23

It's a compliment to be compared to him

He must be one hell of a bowler if comparing him to Stuart Clark can be called 'reducing him to the level of...'. Clark took apart a South African batting line up in SA a few years back if I recall correctly.

Ok I will rephrase that. Personally for me, Asif is quite above Stuart Clark. However, I have no problems if people are not yet willing to accept that..I am happy to wait 2 more years when more and more people including you guys will accept that.

To be fair to the commentary team they did say it was a magnificent delivery to Clarke and talked up Asif's bowling. The delivery was replayed quite a bit for the rest of the afternoon. I enjoy the comments from Slats, Warney and Tubby Taylor. Even though they can be annoying at times they know a lot about the game. Slats seems to throw in a little too much chuckling these days though. Enjoy Bill and Richie sometimes too.
Well they did praise Asif and Sami..but its the perspective that I was talking about...The first reaction is more like "oh no another wicket" instead "oh what a great delivery" What is needed is a balance..a few Australian and a few non Australian commentators because an Australian's natural first reaction will always be "oh no".

So I am more upset with Channel 9 for not getting a few non Australian commentators. Last time they got Waqar..

Last edited: