• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in Australia

subshakerz

International Coach
Those two aren't as bad as they are made out. The one who is seriously bad and undeserving of a place in the side imo is Misbah.Pakistan's problem isn't that they have got a crap team, it's that they fail to maintain their intensity for a long period of time.
I agree. One reason may be the lack of consistent test cricket played by the team as a whole. As a team they haven't been allowed to find their groove. Also, lack of intensity may have a lot to do with Yousuf's captaincy and his general laid back style.

Sir Alex

Banned
Record-breaking Ponting hails 'outstanding' win | Cricket News | Australia v Pakistan 2009/10 | Cricinfo.com

While I can understand why Ponting made that statement I don't think this ranks as one of his best wins. A cursory look at the Pakistani side and one can understand why. This team has 5 guys in the top 7 who averages well under 40 in test cricket and 2 top order guys who average less than 30 in fact. The only guys who average above 40 are Yousuf and the raw Umar Akmal. Also had Pakistan not dropped so many chances this match surely won't have been such a one sided one (still I think Australia would have won). That said congratulations Punter on record breaking no. of wins as captain and as player. Champion stuff.

I agree. One reason may be the lack of consistent test cricket played by the team as a whole. As a team they haven't been allowed to find their groove. Also, lack of intensity may have a lot to do with Yousuf's captaincy and his general laid back style.
I wouldn't blame Yousuf too much.He has only recently become captain and it must be remembered that it was under him, not Younus, that Pakistan won their first test after almost three years.

Record-breaking Ponting hails 'outstanding' win | Cricket News | Australia v Pakistan 2009/10 | Cricinfo.com

While I can understand why Ponting made that statement I don't think this ranks as one of his best wins. A cursory look at the Pakistani side and one can understand why. This team has 5 guys in the top 7 who averages well under 40 in test cricket and 2 top order guys who average less than 30 in fact. The only guys who average above 40 are Yousuf and the raw Umar Akmal. Also had Pakistan not dropped so many chances this match surely won't have been such a one sided one (still I think Australia would have won). That said congratulations Punter on record breaking no. of wins as captain and as player. Champion stuff.
Australia dropped almost as many...

How does that change what I said? It means then Australia was below par on the field than anything
You said that the match wouldn't have been as one-sided if Pakistan had taken their catches. If Pakistan and Australia had both taken all their catches, the match wouldn't have been all that different.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member

Sigh. What do you expect him to say. "Yeah it was a pretty easy win for the boys. Wouldn't expect anything less than an easy win in the end really". There's always some way to find criticism in what Ponting says

Australia's dropped chances didn't cost them the match did it
No they didn't and arguably neither did Pakistan's. All I said was that both teams dropped the same number of catches and virtually cancelled each other out. The end result wouldn't have been too different had both teams taken their catches. Or in other words, the match would have been as one-sided.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
No they didn't and arguably neither did Pakistan's. All I said was that both teams dropped the same number of catches and virtually cancelled each other out. The end result wouldn't have been too different had both teams taken their catches. Or in other words, the match would have been as one-sided.
Pakistan dropped both Katich and Watson early on in the first innings. Katich was on 8 if i recall. Australia's dropped chances made virtually no difference.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Despite Pakistan's loss, there's a lot to like about the side. Obviously underperformed, but Akmal looks a real talent, and Ameer (sp?) bowled tremendously well. All you need is 3 or 4 world class players to build a truely competitive side. They definitely have the makings of it, and I reckon next time they tour here they could even be favourites.

Sir Alex

Banned
You said that the match wouldn't have been as one-sided if Pakistan had taken their catches. If Pakistan and Australia had both taken all their catches, the match wouldn't have been all that different.
How does Pakistan taking those chances they dropped is remotely relevant to Australia's catching? :unsure:

Sigh. What do you expect him to say. "Yeah it was a pretty easy win for the boys. Wouldn't expect anything less than an easy win in the end really". There's always some way to find criticism in what Ponting says
There is a huge difference between "One of my best test wins" and saying "It's a great win". I hope you understand the difference before you get your pants in a twist. 8-)

How does Pakistan taking those chances they dropped is remotely relevant to Australia's catching? :unsure:
You said the match wouldn't have been one-sided had Pakistan taken their chances. I said the match would have been one-sided had Australia and Pakistan both taken their chances.

Sir Alex

Banned
You said the match wouldn't have been one-sided had Pakistan taken their chances. I said the match would have been one-sided had Australia and Pakistan both taken their chances.
Both are mutually exclusive opinions. You might be right, but you are no way contradicting my opinion. Also see the context in which I posted it. Ricky said it is one of his best test wins. I don't think so. The fact that Australia dropped 5 chances shows they were not at their best in the field.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Both are mutually exclusive opinions. You might be right, but you are no way contradicting my opinion. Also see the context in which I posted it. Ricky said it is one of his best test wins. I don't think so. The fact that Australia dropped 5 chances shows they were not at their best in the field.
5 dropped chances, can you name them all for me?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Those two aren't as bad as they are made out. The one who is seriously bad and undeserving of a place in the side imo is Misbah.
This is an outrageous call IMO. Misbah is not a great batsman but he's not a prank-batsman either; he looks awful when he's in poor form but looks like a real Test bat when he's seeing them - the control he shows and the way he paces his innings when he's set actually reminds me a lot of Yousuf. Even when Faisal's seeing it like a football and playing the odd glorious stroke, he still always gives the impression that it's only a matter of time before he gets himself out and, sure enough, he always does. Farhat's different in that he constantly looks dire but somehow manages to scrap sometimes but he's a level below Misbah as well for mine.

Faisal, really, never should have been picked at all. He averages less than 40 domestically whereas Misbah averages in excess of 50 - whatever you think of Misbah the Test batsman, you can't say he didn't earn his spot. Faisal was picked purely and simply due to his family connections AFAIC.

If you examine the numbers at Test level, Misbah is comfortably better than Faisal as well. He averaged over 35 after 18 Tests with two tons which, again, is decent without being particularly good. Faisal averages 27 after 25 Tests with the lone hundred. No contest IMO.

Last edited:

mohammad16

U19 Captain
If pakistan had taken their catches in the first and really decisive innings, this game would probably have been closer.

In any case two of Pakistans best players in Younis Khan and Danish Kaneria weren't available this game while Australia played a full strenght squad.

Even though Umar gul has been in terrible form, Sydney provided perfect conditions for reverse swing. Umar gul who is primarily probably the worlds best reverse swing exponent has not found reverse swing conducive conditions since the 2020 in England.

If the next wicket will assist reverse swing, they should play gul, this coupled with Kaneria and Younis will make for tremendous test match viewing and I feel Pakistan with the emergence of Umar Akmal and Aamer will have a slight edge in terms of talent.