• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in Australia

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Declaring at 454?!? What planet is Ponting on?
Planet 'Pakistan are 109/4'.

If the people who think every declaration must be made after 600 could explain why they're better placed than the captain of a team playing in the match to work out whether it's worth declaring at 450 or pushing on to 600 then that'd be fair enough. Gets a bit droll though every time a team (usually Ponting's team - what do you call him? Something to do with a monkey) declares without posting 17000 runs in their first innings.

I'm simply assuming he's summed up the conditions of the match (that he's playing in) and made a decision he thinks is best to win the match. So far it's working.

While we're talking about this, how many teams have scored 450+ first innings and been beaten?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Planet 'Pakistan are 109/4'.

If the people who think every declaration must be made after 600 could explain why they're better placed than the captain of a team playing in the match to work out whether it's worth declaring at 450 or pushing on to 600 then that'd be fair enough.
Didn't I do that last time? :p

Jayzamann

International Regular
I won't say I called it from the start, the declaration took me by surprise, but I'm willing to give Ponting the benefit of the doubt for now as it seems to be working for him.

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
I won't say I called it from the start, the declaration took me by surprise, but I'm willing to give Ponting the benefit of the doubt for now as it seems to be working for him.
I think that is what was so awesome about it, the surprise.

Pakistan are crusing along in fielding mode, expecting to continue that way for at least a few more hours and then all of a sudden "WTF, we have to bat lol".

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Dumbfounded as to how Australia can still be copping criticism after these first two days.

pasag

RTDAS
But why not let Brad Haddin have a tonk? Hauritz had just gotten out and you had two of the most destructive batsmen in the shed, makes so little sense.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
What do you mean by flat? There's bounce there, but not much sideways. I see "flat" more like Adelaide where there's not much bounce, or a pitch where the ball doesn't bounce. Some might say it's one where there's no variable bounce or no sideways.
I'm guessing you've accidentally quoted me instead of Howsie, because I didn't even say the word 'flat' at all. In fact I wasn't even discussing the pitch.

What I noted was that in the Ind/SL thread people came out after the first innings and blamed the pitch, and then other said "STFU and wait for the 2nd innings", and made a fool of the people complaining when SL crumbled to lose by an innings... twice

I just also said it was the same thing here, just different people saying "let's wait for the 2nd innings" this time.

Last edited:

Riggins

International Captain
Has been done before you know. MCG 1973
Anyone know why Aus changed up the order of the guys in the middle for the second innings of that game? I wasn't around then and just curious, can't imagine the reaction if Ricky just decided to bat 5 for a change some time haha

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Declaring at 454?!? What planet is Ponting on?
A planet where he puts his actions where his mouth is. This one action has completely redeemed Ponting as a captain in my eyes.

I love it so much. Aggressive, positive, and actually doing something about a problem that you complain about. Normally, I root for Pakistan, but I'm hoping Ponting doesn't lose this. These type of moves should be encouraged. It's better for the game of cricket, and risks like these are fantastic to see.

Would he have done it against India? Perhaps not, but maybe if these moves keep succeeding, he should.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A planet where he puts his actions where his mouth is. This one action has completely redeemed Ponting as a captain in my eyes.

I love it so much. Aggressive, positive, and actually doing something about a problem that you complain about. Normally, I root for Pakistan, but I'm hoping Ponting doesn't lose this. These type of moves should be encouraged. It's better for the game of cricket, and risks like these are fantastic to see.

Would he have done it against India? Perhaps not, but maybe if these moves keep succeeding, he should.
The tactic is one that is only successful (in my opinion) due to the shock factor with it. There is no doubt that the Pakistanis really didn't know what their goals were when they were batting. If you did this kind of thing every game it would lose its shock value and teams would begin to counter it successfully.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Went along again today, this time with the suits. Saw the Rudd man up close, has perfected the Queen's patented wave.

Jayzamann

International Regular
The tactic is one that is only successful (in my opinion) due to the shock factor with it. There is no doubt that the Pakistanis really didn't know what their goals were when they were batting. If you did this kind of thing every game it would lose its shock value and teams would begin to counter it successfully.
It's going to be the ace-in-the-hole for whoever is captaining Australia 30 years from now.

Sir Alex

Banned

Yes, the declaration was something of a surprise and I confess I initially thought it was a bad move considering the pitch was something on which a Hauritz could get a 75. However Pakistan's lower order is something not to be discounted and something like the NZ lower order and if some partnerships get going they can indeed run this close. But as it is looks a good decision for me.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Typical MCG wicket, tough to get wickets but also tough to score. The last place that you'd want to be trying to get blokes out whilst they are batting for a draw.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
But why not let Brad Haddin have a tonk? Hauritz had just gotten out and you had two of the most destructive batsmen in the shed, makes so little sense.
Get an hour with the new ball then a break before another burst, plus of course the shock element - nobody expected it, so the opening batsmen had no time to adjust mentality. Unorthodox move, but not the worst one ever, especially as it gives him the chance to dictate the game when Australia bat again - rather than possibly having 3 straight days in the field after racking up 550-600+