• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think they mean actual libel laws myself - it may well be true but if the Sun thought they could make the allegation stick I can't believe they'd hold back on naming and shaming

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Married Premier League boss caught in brothel shocker! From yer super, soaraway Current Bun.

Any completely groundless speculation as to whom it might be? Wenger not married, so he's in the clear, anyway.
I doubt it was one of those in the big four. If you saw Wenger or Ferguson going into a brothel your quotes afterwards wouldn't include "he's a Premier League football manager". Just like you wouldn't call Don Bradman "an international batsman".

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Duffer - I know you've got a few ideas about our goalkeeping issues and what not, well Szczesny's staying out on loan at Brentford for another month. I've not seen him in any matches but there's a fair bit of talk around his performances. Seems to be making a bit of a name for himself in League 1.
Has been fantastic for us, has with a new centre back partnership turned our defence around, made some great saves and has such an air of confidence about him. Love Wenger so much for letting us keep him for another month.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Isn't even guarenteed a starting spot for Italy at the World Cup as he has Santon breathing down his neck, he peeked about WC 06 and has according to reports slowly gone downhill from there.
Not too sure about this TBH. Serie A doesn't show on sky so i cant say whats he been up to for sure. But when he was at Barcelona he was still going very well every time a Barca game was shown on Sky.

Plus in Italy's most recent international squads Santon wasn't there.

Jankulovski is pretty average to be honest. Cashley Cole, love him or not, is probably the best balanced LB in the world.
:-O. Ha no way man. All Cole is faster than him. Jankulovksi is just as solid defensively, plus i'd say he is better crosser. Jankulovksi used to take Czech republic's free-kicks as he showed when he scored againts ENG in a friendly last year.

Jungle Jumbo said:
And I've no idea if Chivu played in the middle of the park at Euro 2008 or not, but, if he did, it would say more about the standard of Romanian football than his own proficiency in said position.
The fact that he played there indeed does a lack of squality in Romanian football, but it doesn't undermine the clear versatility he showed in the position. There have other defenders like Zanetti & Van Bronchorst plus our own Hargreaves who have showed very solid versality in defense & mid-field.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Soccernet writer's team of the decade, and for you aussie:

Dominic Raynor: (3-4-3) Buffon; Cannavaro, Ayala, Maldini; Figo, Gattuso, Zidane, Giggs; C. Ronaldo, Ronaldo, Henry. Subs: Kahn, A. Cole, Gerrard, Nedved, Keane, Messi.

Mark Lomas: (3-5-2) Buffon; Cannavaro, Ferdinand ,Maldini; Keane, Makelele, Ronaldinho, Zidane, Messi; Henry, Ronaldo. Subs: Casillas, Carlos, Giggs, C. Ronaldo, Van Nistelrooy.

Tom Adams: (4-3-3) Buffon; Cafu, Cannavaro, Nesta, A. Cole; Vieira, Xavi, Zidane; Messi, Henry, C. Ronaldo. Subs: Casillas, Maldini, Figo, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo.

Jon Carter: (4-1-3-2) Buffon; Cafu, Puyol, Maldini, Roberto Carlos; Makelele, C. Ronaldo, Zidane, Ronaldinho; Ronaldo, Henry. Subs: Kahn, Cannavaro, Rivaldo, Messi, Eto'o.

Dale Johnson: (4-4-2) Buffon; Cafu, Nesta, Cannavaro, Maldini; Messi, Makelele, Zidane, C. Ronaldo; Ronaldinho, Henry. Subs: Casillas, A. Cole, Figo, Beckham, Eto'o.

Robin Hackett: (4-2-3-1) Buffon; Cafu, Nesta, Cannavaro, Maldini; Makelele, Roy Keane; C. Ronaldo, Zidane, Messi; Ronaldo. Subs: Casillas, Zanetti, Gerrard, Ronaldinho, Henry.

Only Buffon and Zidane made the starting XI of each team of every writer. Cristiano Ronaldo was the only other man to make each team. Some ITSTL choices.

But this is their official team of the decade:

(4-2-3-1)

GK: Gianluigi Buffon
RB: Cafu
CB: Fabio Cannavaro
CB: Paolo Maldini
LB: Roberto Carlos
CM: Claude Makelele
CM: Andrea Pirlo
AM: Zinedine Zidane
RW: Lionel Messi
LW: Cristiano Ronaldo
ST: Ruud Van Nistelrooy

Last edited:

cpr

International Coach
Not one mention of Scholes, even amongst subs, suppose the ginger one is the kind of player who just quietly got on with being brilliant, though the last couple of years may have dampened fonder memories.....

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
^^

Word cpr. I reckon Scholes international record played a part.

Can't disagree with the team of the decade much. I guess one can argue Vieira/Keane could be in instead of Makelele since they offered more going forward.

I'd have Henry>RVN if the team is going for just one striker

Zanetti over Cafu is another possibility also.

cpr

International Coach
Would personally put fat Ronaldo upfront over RVN, on his day just the complete striker. Ruud would be alright getting the follow ups from poser Ronaldo, wouldnt find Henry adding much more than Messi/Ronaldo do, dont think he'd be the kind of player to fit into that team, would be 3 pacey attackers and no box man. Would be tempted to put Henry in over Messi tbh

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Would personally put fat Ronaldo upfront over RVN, on his day just the complete striker. Ruud would be alright getting the follow ups from poser Ronaldo, wouldnt find Henry adding much more than Messi/Ronaldo do, dont think he'd be the kind of player to fit into that team, would be 3 pacey attackers and no box man. Would be tempted to put Henry in over Messi tbh
Good point about have a box-man in such a formation. But I remember Henry playing fairly well as lone striker in the last years of his Arsenal career. Especially in 05/06 when the Gunner reached the CL Final.

cpr

International Coach
Which is why I'd be tempted to put him in instead of Messi, because he was that good and could carry the line, when really wasn't suited for it. Somehow Wenger has had an ability over the years of making bizarre selections lacking certain types of players work a treat, making 'experts' eat their rulebooks.

Henry would be effective in that team, but Ronaldo (and Ruud) would be more effective. Drop Messi though and.......

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ronaldo didn't play well for enough of the decade to be considered. By the 2006 World Cup he was an overweight, washed-up joke.