• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Ye Toure probably aint worthy but i like him, must have some bias somewhere.

Chivu is the most complete left-back in the game IMO

Zambrotta unlike Alves, Ramos, Maicon. Is equally solid going forward & defending, the rest of them can look at bit iffy at times defending.

Plus overall my selection wasn't following the "team of the year" criteria. Just who i think would make the best World XI right now based on a mixture of career record & current form.

Yet as Craig says prefers CB and plays 95 percent of the time as a centre-half. :laugh:

Probably best thing Roberto Mancini did was fully convert him, his got no pace.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Yet as Craig says prefers CB and plays 95 percent of the time as a centre-half. :laugh:

Probably best thing Roberto Mancini did was fully convert him, his got no pace.
Disagree. Firsly i dont doubt that he may prefers playing CB but i remember him playing CM for Romania in EURO 2008. I think he very versatile, he is not lightning like a Evra but his pace is comparable to Abidal or Lizarazu based on what i've seen of him.

I also would put Jankulovski ahead of Evra ATM too..

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Disagree. Firsly i dont doubt that he may prefers playing CB but i remember him playing CM for Romania in EURO 2008. I think he very versatile, he is not lightning like a Evra but his pace is comparable to Abidal or Lizarazu based on what i've seen of him.

You are crazy.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
You are crazy.
:laugh:.

In that hypotetical wordl XI i would pick Jankulovksi ahead of Evra because Jankulovksi is more solid defensively - just like Chivu. I dont believe a attacking left-back is needed when i have Ronaldo playing left-wing.

But overall that doesn't mean Jankulovski is better than Evra ATM.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Jankulovski is pretty average to be honest. Cashley Cole, love him or not, is probably the best balanced LB in the world.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain

Fairly sceptical of anyone plying their trade in Serie A these days. The complete failure of Italian sides in Europe has shown how far standards have fallen.

And I've no idea if Chivu played in the middle of the park at Euro 2008 or not, but, if he did, it would say more about the standard of Romanian football than his own proficiency in said position.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would take Evra over Cashley every day of the week, does everything Cole does butphysically he's more dominant.

Buth ****s though, btw:)

Craig

World Traveller
Fairly sceptical of anyone plying their trade in Serie A these days. The complete failure of Italian sides in Europe has shown how far standards have fallen.

And I've no idea if Chivu played in the middle of the park at Euro 2008 or not, but, if he did, it would say more about the standard of Romanian football than his own proficiency in said position.
TBF AC Milan did win the Champions Keague two a half years ago.

Duffer - I know you've got a few ideas about our goalkeeping issues and what not, well Szczesny's staying out on loan at Brentford for another month. I've not seen him in any matches but there's a fair bit of talk around his performances. Seems to be making a bit of a name for himself in League 1.

Oh and some bad news that Uppercut might enjoy BBC Sport - Football - Arsene Wenger expects extended Van Persie injury layoff
Could even miss the rest of the season and the World Cup. Although if Wenger wants a striker on a free transfer ATM, then Lazio's Goran Pandev is now a free agent, and not Europa League-tied or anything like that.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
hmm..if i where to pick a world XI now i'd probably go with:

----------------------------------------------------Bufffon-----------------------------------------------------------------

Zambrotta---------------------Terry------------------K Toure/Vidic/Carvalho-------------------------Chivu

-----------------------------------Essein-----------------Xavi/Pirlo-----------------------------------------------------

Messi----------------------------------------Kaka-------------------------------------------------------------Ronaldo

------------------------------------------------Torres------------------------------------------------------------------------
Isn't even guarenteed a starting spot for Italy at the World Cup as he has Santon breathing down his neck, he peeked about WC 06 and has according to reports slowly gone downhill from there.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Have never been a huge fan of the guy as a defender to be honest, enjoyed watching him play as a winger though.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Duffer - I know you've got a few ideas about our goalkeeping issues and what not, well Szczesny's staying out on loan at Brentford for another month. I've not seen him in any matches but there's a fair bit of talk around his performances. Seems to be making a bit of a name for himself in League 1.

Oh and some bad news that Uppercut might enjoy BBC Sport - Football - Arsene Wenger expects extended Van Persie injury layoff
I'm not enjoying that, I really like Van Persie!

I told you once I'd pointed it out you'd realise how often it happens :p.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Indeed so. If Newscorp's legal bods won't ok it there's probably a huge likelihood of defamation lawsuits primed and ready to go.