• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I'd point out that they didn't do much right either. Well earnt win for Arsenal that. Both teams showcased why winning anything is potentially a long shot for either of them though, both teams gave the ball away an awful lot very easily, and a better team (Chelsea) would have probably made that count for something. That said, I'm thrilled to have won that one. Arshavin WAG, can't wait to hear what Glen Johnson's pass completion rate was either.
You're on crack, 87% of the time.

Arsenal didn't deserve to win that, not near it. Liverpool should have been up 3-0 at half-time bar some ordinary finishing and some woeful refereeing. For those claiming the ball was in play or not, that is not even relevant. A penalty is a foul inside the box that would be called outside the box. At it's worst it's still a late tackle. Dead-set-penalty.

Then Johnson who was having a great game has a brain fart and paddles it into our net, then Arshavin does what Arshavin does against us with Arsenal's only real chance...and there goes our wind. Anything that can go wrong for us this year certainly has.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Anything that can go wrong for us this year certainly has.
Would disagree with you about here. Feel we've been lucky with some results, without a doubt.

Regardless of whether I believe we should've gotten some points tonight, it doesn't mask some underlying problems with Rafa's strategy and our finishing.

As much as I like the quick double-man first-half tackling, it is sapping the players something huge. There are way too many lazy efforts in and around the box aswell. Lots of long balls with a flick-and-hope.

Adding to that, it is way too easy to hate almost every Pool player, bar Agger and Reina, haha.

EDIT: Nevermind, predicted Liverpool would finish 7th. End the season. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I only saw the second half, Arsenal the better side in that half, informed that Liverpool were excellent in the first half. Sounds like a draw would have been fair in a way, but Liverpool lacked urgency and tbh never looked like scoring once they went 2-1 down.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Would disagree with you about here. Feel we've been lucky with some results, without a doubt.
Like? I can only think of Everton where we were truly outplayed and deserved a loss.

Regardless of whether I believe we should've gotten some points tonight, it doesn't mask some underlying problems with Rafa's strategy and our finishing.

As much as I like the quick double-man first-half tackling, it is sapping the players something huge. There are way too many lazy efforts in and around the box aswell. Lots of long balls with a flick-and-hope.

Adding to that, it is way too easy to hate almost every Pool player, bar Agger and Reina, haha.
A lot of things in football are confidence related. Finishing, creating chances, winning in general. We've been hit hard by a lot of injuries and some crappy, unbelievable and late goals. You could see it after the own-goal how down we were; because it's just been that kind of a season. The heads drop earlier and belief saps away faster. Only cure is winning.

I find the performance acceptable; Arsenal hardly did much and really did not threaten at all. They were all over the place in the 1st half and while they were better in the 2nd they didn't create much.

This season, however, is over. If we had won this match there could have been some faint glimmer of hope but not anymore. We are 5 behind 4th place and need to go on a run of winning to make sure we are in contention for it. Top 4 is the only realistic aim in the league.

I only saw the second half, Arsenal the better side in that half, informed that Liverpool were excellent in the first half. Sounds like a draw would have been fair in a way, but Liverpool lacked urgency and tbh never looked like scoring once they went 2-1 down.
2 goals in 8 mins...we were kicked in the nads. :wacko:

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman

You have to question the wisdom of spending £20m on a player who is still not match fit halfway thru December (thought Oct was the original prognosis too) and £17m for Johnson looks way too much as well. At fault for both goals today. Yes, he's impressive going forwards, but defensively never instills confidence.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
You have to question the wisdom of spending £20m on a player who is still not match fit halfway thru December (thought Oct was the original prognosis too) and £17m for Johnson looks way too much as well. At fault for both goals today. Yes, he's impressive going forwards, but defensively never instills confidence.
Goes without saying, surely.

Find me a person who can justify even half of Rafa's signings and I'll find you a liar.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Magic ping, wasn't it? Reina never even moved.

Johnson let himself get done a little too easily tho.
Yep, special.

vaguely remember seeing a screamer on MOTD last night from the Wigan game as well, was drinking and not paying full attention though.

Been an interesting week in the Prem

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
According to Tomkins, Rafa was told by the experts when they bought Aquilani that he'd only be a month away.

Johnson's ok, in fact more than ok. He has been one of our best this season. He'll never be Maldini on the right, but his pluses outweigh his minuses. Unfortunately, this game, after the own goal he lost it. He tried to do too much to make it up. Was good in the first half.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Still haven't come down from that. Few thoughts:

-First half ****ing disgraceful, **** off Almunia, **** off Denilson, Liverpool deservedly in front.

-Hearing Cesc and Vermalen speak about how Arsene completely ****ed them in the collective bastard at half time was refreshing to hear from these precious ones. It had the right effect, put enough pressure on them to force the own goal and Arshavin, wow, just ****ing wow.

-Very impressive how once we got in front we never looked like relinquishing the lead, chased and smothered everything down and Liverpool looked completely defeated for the last 15 minutes. Incredible, defending a lead at Anfield has never been this easy. Or maybe we just made it that way through our grit and endeavour, god it feels good coming from behind and winning a big game as opposed to the other way around.

-Glen Johnson, heh. Well worth wasting most of your transfer budget on. And Aquilani, heh.

_Gerrard's penalty, heh. The whole world knows you are a ****ing cheat, you made your own bed there buddy.

-Seriously for a team with the ridiculous amount of injuries we had, was worried we'd get a toweling. Wasn't to be though, incredible round of results for us, beat Bolton at home in our spare game and we're second 3 points behind Chelsea at close to the halfway point. Get the **** in!