• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Pakistan in New Zealand (3 tests)

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dunno about that, you'd think the same against India but SJS and other Indian posters were saying how he was our best bowler.
He certainly didn't disgrace himself against India last year, think he took a 4-fer or 5-fer in one of the Tests right?

Xuhaib

International Coach
If Napier is as flat as everyone is saying then an off spinner will be more handy then a medium pacer.I myself was thinking Pak may go with Ajmal over Gul.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Dunno about that, you'd think the same against India but SJS and other Indian posters were saying how he was our best bowler.
Patel always looks like he's bowling well, but never actually takes wickets. Even in First Class cricket he's average at best. I love watching him bowl, probably because I'm an offspinner myself, but from a selection POV he should never actually make the team.

Athlai

Not Terrible
He certainly didn't disgrace himself against India last year, think he took a 4-fer or 5-fer in one of the Tests right?
Na the 5fer was vs. the WI at Napier. He only got 4/180 wickets against India, but got a fair few close shouts and possibly a dropped catch or two.

Jeets at Napier in Tests (also 3 of his 9 Tests have been played in Napier, and only 4 of those 9 are in NZ)

NZ bowlers in Napier

Athlai

Not Terrible
Patel always looks like he's bowling well, but never actually takes wickets. Even in First Class cricket he's average at best. I love watching him bowl, probably because I'm an offspinner myself, but from a selection POV he should never actually make the team.
I agree completely besides in Napier where he has actually been one of our best bowlers. I've hardly been calling for Jeets to come in the side but if he was going to play anywhere it would be here.

Haha he actually has the most Test wickets there of all time.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I agree completely besides in Napier where he has actually been one of our best bowlers. I've hardly been calling for Jeets to come in the side but if he was going to play anywhere it would be here.
Yeah you have a point there; it wouldn't be a terrible decision for Patel to play the third Test really. I sort of hope he does as I don't particularly care about the result and I like watching him bowl, but I wouldn't do it myself.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I also don't condone batting him at 8, I really don't like the idea of a tail of Patel, Tuffey, O'Brien and Martin. It is just too weak, none of the seamers have done anything wrong so I would probably keep them unless the conditions said it would be turning. Not sure who I'd drop out of Tuffey, O'Brien and Martin if that were the case.

If swing came into the equation Southee could still be worth a punt.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I also don't condone batting him at 8, I really don't like the idea of a tail of Patel, Tuffey, O'Brien and Martin. It is just too weak, none of the seamers have done anything wrong so I would probably keep them unless the conditions said it would be turning. Not sure who I'd drop out of Tuffey, O'Brien and Martin if that were the case.

If swing came into the equation Southee could still be worth a punt.
Yeah I definitely wouldn't play Patel for a batsman under any circumstances. It'd be Martin or Tuffey he'd have to play for.

Howsie

International Captain
Southee, Arnel, and Boult aren't 140+ and I rate them. Tuffey just isn't good enough anymore, simple. One decent performance on a seaming wicket doesn't mean anything.

Flem274*

123/5
Southee, Arnel, and Boult aren't 140+ and I rate them. Tuffey just isn't good enough anymore, simple. One decent performance on a seaming wicket doesn't mean anything.
Tuffey. Tuffey.

Tuffey.

Wicket was pretty tame. NZ just suck at batting and Pakistan are saved by Akmal bros and MoYo.

Tuffey didn't manage this record by accident you know Daryl Tuffey | Cricket Players and Officials | Cricinfo.com

70 wickets at 30 in 23 tests is the best record of any of our seamers.

What a surprise the three you name are from ND. Get Thompson, Mason and Diamanti in the side. Oh and Jeremy Kuru, he's bowls in the 140s and is young.

Howsie

International Captain
Hmmmm, I don't think you understand what I've been saying for the last month. Tuffey is average now. I know what he's achieved during his career thank you very much.

Have you actually seen Kuru bowl, or just saying he's 140 because someone on here said he was?

The reason I named Arnel, Southee and Boult is because they're the best domestic bowlers going around.

Flem274*

123/5
Hmmmm, I don't think you understand what I've been saying for the last month. Tuffey is average now. I know what he's achieved during his career thank you very much.

Have you actually seen Kuru bowl, or just saying he's 140 because someone on here said he was?

The reason I named Arnel, Southee and Boult is because they're the best domestic bowlers going around.
According to Blakey he's 140, and I was being sarcastic.

Tuffey is in that same echelon domestically with a lot more games than Southee or especially Boult. I rate them both but Tuffey is more proven domestically easily.

That Wellington pitch was not a seamer. There was a little bit in it but the batsmen just suck at anything that isn't a motorway. Tuffey bowled well in conditions that were perfectly fine for batsmen. Shaun Pollock and Glenn McGrath didn't have the pace of your ND trio for large sections of their careers, relying on accuracy, boucne and movement which is how Tuffey bowls incidentally. He'll never be in the same class of course but just because the speed radar says 125-130 it doesnt mean he's past it.

Did you not see the ball he got Umar Akmal with?