• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pasag

RTDAS
Haha, was nuts, feel for the Saints but they'll be there next year.

Chapman and Ablett won the game in the last quarter. Amazing.

Hoggy31

International Captain
HMmm jeez youd thi nk Maxy wouldve faired better than RAph Clarke, dont think ive seeen a ****ter gf performance davis 0 touches was less detrimental to the team at least

crucial bit of palty when jones left ablettt and left him free in the middel

**** sakes

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
HMmm jeez youd thi nk Maxy wouldve faired better than RAph Clarke, dont think ive seeen a ****ter gf performance davis 0 touches was less detrimental to the team at least

crucial bit of palty when jones left ablettt and left him free in the middel

**** sakes
When you get moved off Shannon Byrnes, you know you're having a stinker.

But what about Scarlett deciding to toe-poke that ball to Ablett over 7 metres. Can't believe he did that at the 27 minute mark of the last quarter of a GF.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Fair play to Geelong. You'd need a heart of stone not to find the mental image of Warney blubbing into his chips hilarious. :ph34r:

I'm sure the salary cap arguments have been done to death, but as an outsider looking in it seems a tragedy that such a great team will be broken up because of it to some extent.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Would have already happened - guys like Ablett and Chapman have already turned down bigger money elsewhere to keep the core of the team togehter. Age and injury will do more to break things up. They'll lose very good players who are important, like King in 07 and Prismall last year, due to cap issues, but that won't affect the core and can be dealt with. The law of averages says one year soon they'll have two or three key players go down with injury for the year, and that their 30+ brigade will find it increasingly hard to come up week after week.

The cap restricts your depth, it leaves you enough money to keep your best 22 on enough to keep them around.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Great GF, but my God did the Saints waste their chance.

Harry Taylor was brilliant.

Chapman was obviously amazing.

But the crucial piece of play, Dawson's spoil of Ablett looked to be possibly match-winning, until Scarlett toe-poked the ball to Ablett. Wow!

howardj

International Coach
Don't know what Lyon was doing gobbing off about next season on Saturday/Sunday and 'don't bother coming back if you're not as committed as this season'. I think the Saints need time to grieve; they need time to mourn, need time to get away. It's like the death of a friend. You don't need someone telling you to find a new friend while you're at the old friend's funeral.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Disagree. His point came out harsher than what he meant.

I reckon the grieving culture of St Kilda is what often holds them back (similar to the Dogs in the past).

Lyon basically said, we need to work harder to win this, and its quite often tough to go through it all again considering you were basically one toe poke from Scarlett away from a flag. If you think you can't go through it all again, you're not going to fit into our team next year.

Obviously no one is going to put their hand up and say they're not willing to work hard enough, but its the point he's making that is important... more so to the fans than the team.

howardj

International Coach
My experience of dealing with professional sportsmen (nil, lol) tells me that sometimes they need a hug and to cry, other times they need a brickbat. I think Saturday was a case for the former; the latter could have waited until preseason.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Blues consider trading Fev

They probably won't, but Sydney would suddenly avoid bottoming out if he goes up there, and the Dogs would be an awesome team. The crux would be - could you stop him acting like a human bar-mat, and what are you going to have to give up to get him.

I would love to see him at Collingwood from an on-field perspective - we'd probably want to trade someone like Cloke or Anthony to recoup something of what we'd have to give up to get him however. Not sure how he'd fit in the team culture we're trying to build there since we finally took a stand on Didak and the Shaw boys, which is I suppose why Carlton aren't sure he fits there next year either.

Meanwhile the Pies Gaelic experiment looks to be going the way of the drop kick, with Marty Clarke and Kevin Dyas both declining to re-sign and returning to Ireland to be closer to family and play Gaelic. Sad to see Clarke go - he had the potential to be a solid mid-tier player for us, and he had also had a slight x-factor that suggested if AFL one-day really clicked for him, he could be more than that.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
bs, club's probably just trying to scare some sense into him.

No other club would take him and Carlton would want an arm and a leg in return anyways.

Works for me, have started to really warm to the bloke and couldn't care less what he does, within reason, off field.

Status
Not open for further replies.