• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Sissoko had one good season with Liverpool and was never going to play in the same side as Mascherano so I don't think selling him was bad business.

The most annoying thing about Benitez is that he only ever wins. If yer Scousers draw or (god forbid) lose it's because Parry (fornerly) or one of the yanks haven't backed him in the transfer market.
It was bad business as he was coming off his best season, his young and you need quality depth to dominate. Chelsea's bench has got Michael Ballack on it, Liverpool haven't got anyone.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Liverpool are not a selling a club. If Real Madrid offer 40 odd million for Torres would they sell? And if they did, presumably you would consider it good business by Rafa because the price has been doubled.

You talk nonsense.
What's the point of keeping a player who doesn't want to stay when you have a better one on the pitch &, at the time, one who plays in a not dissimilar role in Alonso? Sissoko barely played in his last two seasons at the club and wasn't impressive when he did.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Do you know how many transfers we've had in the last 3-4 years? Haha, Liverpool not a selling club...heard it all now.

You're right. Mascherano not only is a better destroyer but has a great passing completion rate to boot. Sissoko was really lost in a lot of games. A born ball-winner, but had 0 football IQ. I would laugh when people would seriously compare him to a legend like Patrick Vieira.

As for Parry, well, a lot is blamed on him for screwing up a lot of potential transfers. Vidic, Dani Alves and Simao to name 3. Now with Rafa having more power, we'll see how our transfers go and how we do in the future.
:frusty:

The only thing I'd say in Benitez's defence is that some of the signings he made in his first few yaers were clearly transitional, not reckoned to be title winners but better than what he had at that point. Crouch & Bellamy, for example. But it's no longer excusable.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Do you know how many transfers we've had in the last 3-4 years? Haha, Liverpool not a selling club...heard it all now.
Liverpool are not a selling club or they shouldn't be. They have a huge turnover of staff because the club is run and managed poorly.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
It was bad business as he was coming off his best season, his young and you need quality depth to dominate. Chelsea's bench has got Michael Ballack on it, Liverpool haven't got anyone.
Sissoko didn't wanna be on the bench IIRC. That was partially a reason he was sold also. Ranieri wanted him, Juve are a top side and Momo wanted to play. Momo or Masch...not a tough decision. Especially when you're selling Momo for double the cash.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
What's the point of keeping a player who doesn't want to stay when you have a better one on the pitch &, at the time, one who plays in a not dissimilar role in Alonso? Sissoko barely played in his last two seasons at the club and wasn't impressive when he did.
I thought he was a fantastic player, always impressed me when I watched him. Use to bully the poorer sides in the league so inevitably when Blackburn came up against Liverpool, he was the best player on the park.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Liverpool are not a selling club or they shouldn't be. They have a huge turnover of staff because the club is run and managed poorly.
Simply put, players like Salif Diao, Diouf, Mellor, Warnock, Baros, Traore, etc, don't deserve to be in a team with Liverpool's aspirations. Liverpool hasn't sold a player that was really good for us unless said player wanted to leave (Xabi). You seem to critique the entire transfer history we've had in the last few years on Momo Sissoko's departure.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
:frusty:

The only thing I'd say in Benitez's defence is that some of the signings he made in his first few yaers were clearly transitional, not reckoned to be title winners but better than what he had at that point. Crouch & Bellamy, for example. But it's no longer excusable.
I know we've hijacked the thread enough, but I don't understand what that means. It's no longer excusable? What's no longer excusable? Him buying middling players? Did oil pop up from Anfied that we didn't know about?

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
He's saying it's no longer acceptable for Liverpool to be buying transition players because they should be aiming for top quality because they're good enough to win the Prem with a few key additions.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Simply put, players like Salif Diao, Diouf, Mellor, Warnock, Baros, Traore, etc, don't deserve to be in a team with Liverpool's aspirations. Liverpool hasn't sold a player that was really good for us unless said player wanted to leave (Xabi). You seem to critique the entire transfer history we've had in the last few years on Momo Sissoko's departure.
None of those players were good enough, you're right, but that doesn't make Liverpool a selling club. No club with title aspirations can be a selling club, it's as simple as that.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Alonso only wanted to leave because the manager tried to replace him the season before with Gareth Barry and touted him to every club across the continent.

It just isn't the departure of Sissoko but more the repeated failures Rafa has had in the transfer market which suggests, Liverpool's transfer history since he took over isn't any better than Houllier. And it was an Houllier built side which won Rafa the Champions League.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
He's saying it's no longer acceptable for Liverpool to be buying transition players because they should be aiming for top quality because they're good enough to win the Prem with a few key additions.
That's what he's probably been doing though. Right now, our first XI is fine. We can improve on our bench. We can probably spend a bit more now on that 1 player we can add per season. Xabi leaving was a kick in the gonads though.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I know we've hijacked the thread enough, but I don't understand what that means. It's no longer excusable? What's no longer excusable? Him buying middling players? Did oil pop up from Anfied that we didn't know about?
Basically what Smitteh said. Every bloody year all we hear is that it's Liverpool's year, well if that's the case then you best be buying players that are good enough to win you the title. Put up or shut up, and all that jazz.

FWIW Liverpool's first XI is bloody brilliant, squad is weak though and obviously they are already quite a bit behind the 8-ball. Benitez has been backed to the hilt, if he hadn't fluked the CL in 05 he'd be long gone by now.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
FWIW Liverpool's first XI is bloody brilliant, squad is weak though and obviously they are already quite a bit behind the 8-ball. Benitez has been backed to the hilt, if he hadn't fluked the CL in 05 he'd be long gone by now.
Is it? Good GK, proven CB, two quality midfielders and a quality striker, that is it. They have no width and no real pace aside from Torres.

Their side is immeasurably worse than last year and far more dependent on two players than ever.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Alonso only wanted to leave because the manager tried to replace him the season before with Gareth Barry and touted him to every club across the continent.
We've already had this discussion. Alonso in the years prior to last was someway from his best. Not only is keeping a player who doesn't want to stay bad but so is keeping a player who is underperforming. I always ask: if Alonso was so good even before the year before last, then why didn't anyone stump up the 16m?

It just isn't the departure of Sissoko but more the repeated failures Rafa has had in the transfer market which suggests, Liverpool's transfer history since he took over isn't any better than Houllier. And it was an Houllier built side which won Rafa the Champions League.
Bar Arsene Wenger, I don't think many could buy players on the cheap and have them win titles for you. When you spend big bucks, the risk is obviously less as you know what you're getting. When you only have 5-8 million to spend per player, there is obviously an element of risk.

And seriously, the point that Houllier's side won us the CL title is shameless. I've seen it spread now through forums - especially ones which dislike 'Pool ;) - but that's an amazing claim. We won the CL, like Greece won the Euros. Great defensive build and goals on the counter. We won it as much because of Rafa as we did because of Gerrard. In the league, the marathon one may call it, we came 5th. That team could not seriously be argued to have had quality players or players that should still be in our team. Individually, it was a Europa-standard team. Here's a clue: how many of them have gone onto better or bigger things? How many of them have gone downhill since then? Exactly; that team, the youth system to boot; needed changes.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Basically what Smitteh said. Every bloody year all we hear is that it's Liverpool's year, well if that's the case then you best be buying players that are good enough to win you the title. Put up or shut up, and all that jazz.
Reckon any 'Pool fans that expected Pool to win the league with the squad we've had in the last decade was dreaming. Even now it's quite an ask because our problems in depth.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Liverpool fans expect to win the league every season. Second place is not good enough for them and they won't settle for it; I'm surprised you accept this so willingly.