• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
And yeah yeah, he doesn't get as far back as Gerrard or do the defensive work, but they both link midfield and attack and dictate play from behind the main frontman.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Most Arsenal fans I know have just been saying be consistent with the criticism. If you can brush off many other players dives as nothing much, why is this the most horrific thing that's ever happened?

If we see this type of reaction and outrage every time a player dives no matter who it is then fine. But we all know that isn't going to happen.
I'd be lying if I said the media and even the officiating didn't favour the English players, but the Arsenal "we are foreign victims" thing has also run it's course. I don't think Arsenal fans are in a position to judge how much is made of other players' ills. By that, I mean they probably won't be able to gauge just how much the furore really is as no one will follow the news as much as a fan of that club/player. And you make it sound as if all these "dives" are the same, when I'd argue they're not. Personally, I think Eduardo's was bad enough, and mostly important enough, to attract this reaction. If it were the last goal and you were winning 2-0 I doubt it'd have been the same.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Well then Benitez is a complete ****in' idiot then. Keane (if he'd ever actually watched him play) plays the exact same position as Gerrard plays for Liverpool.
Gerrard hadn't really played a whole season behind Torres, if you recall. It was only towards the end of the last season where Gerrard did; otherwise he was played in the middle whilst Xabi got to his feet after injury. When Keane came, Gerrard slotted in the middle whilst Mascherano or Xabi rotated. In that season Keane also played with Gerrard as Torres was injured for periods.

And yeah yeah, he doesn't get as far back as Gerrard or do the defensive work, but they both link midfield and attack and dictate play from behind the main frontman.
Doesn't score as many or set up as many either. :)

I was one of those who really wanted Keane to work and I thought the whole saga was a joke of epic proportions. Even had he not worked out in his first season he could of in the 2nd.

A lot was also said that Keane was not Rafa's buy but was Parry's. I would not normally buy such a theory but when Liverpool sells a player only a few months after we bought him, then that gives it some weight. Especially when Parry was basically kicked out during that year too.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Benitez buys average players, takes a punt because that's frankly all we could afford.
He's signed:

Robbie Keane, £20.3m
Jermaine Pennant, £6.7m
Ryan Babel, £11.5m
Craig Bellamy, £6m
Mark Gonzalez, £4.5m
Fernando Morientes, £6.5m
Dirk Kuyt, £7m
Peter Croouch, £7m
Andrea Dossena, £7m
Glen Johnson, £10m
Lucas Leiva, £6m
Yossi Benayoun, £5m
Mohammad Sissoko, £5.3m
Dan Agger, £5.8m
Luis Garcia, £6m
Martin Skrtel, £6.5m
Albert Riera, £8m-
Alvaro Arbeloa, £3.5m
Gabriel Paletta, £2m-
David Ngog, £1.5m-
Sebastian Leto, £1.85m
Javier Mascherano, £18.6m

That's £158.55m in total, Torres not included. Don't tell me he signs crap players because he can't afford better ones. It's a choice between three Ryan Babels and a Fernando Torres, and far too often he goes for the former.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
He's signed:

Robbie Keane, £20.3m
Jermaine Pennant, £6.7m
Ryan Babel, £11.5m
Craig Bellamy, £6m
Mark Gonzalez, £4.5m
Fernando Morientes, £6.5m
Dirk Kuyt, £7m
Peter Croouch, £7m
Andrea Dossena, £7m
Glen Johnson, £10m
Lucas Leiva, £6m
Yossi Benayoun, £5m
Mohammad Sissoko, £5.3m
Dan Agger, £5.8m
Luis Garcia, £6m
Martin Skrtel, £6.5m
Albert Riera, £8m-
Alvaro Arbeloa, £3.5m
Gabriel Paletta, £2m-
David Ngog, £1.5m-
Sebastian Leto, £1.85m
Javier Mascherano, £18.6m

That's £158.55m in total, Torres not included. Don't tell me he signs crap players because he can't afford better ones. It's a choice between three Ryan Babels and a Fernando Torres, and far too often he goes for the former.
You're looking at his gross expenditure, and not his net. A lot of those players were bought with the money gotten from a sale of another. For example, Arbeloa only cost us 2.6m, but we had Josemi 2m and Kromkamp for 2m but they were basically swaps for each other year after year. I didn't mean we had really 6 million to spend because that 2 million was recycled. This is reflected in the actual value of our squads. We bought and sold replacements for more or less the same amount so little was lost by transfer. A good article by Liverpudlian Tomkins was written on this last year I believe.

Rafa has overhauled the club from youth to senior squad. There are only 2 players left of that champions league team. Over 5 years, that many changes, it's really peanuts in comparison to the other top sides. Only Arsenal could really look at our spending and call us whingers. :p

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Most Arsenal fans I know have just been saying be consistent with the criticism. If you can brush off many other players dives as nothing much, why is this the most horrific thing that's ever happened?

If we see this type of reaction and outrage every time a player dives no matter who it is then fine. But we all know that isn't going to happen.
I might be atypical, but I immediately said:

Never a pen, in fact I don't think Bolloc even touched him.
It's just that this kind of incident is used as a stick to beat Arsenal with because we're packed full of those dirty, cheating foreigners as opposed to the 100% Anglo Saxon ManUre.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You're looking at his gross expenditure, and not his net. A lot of those players were bought with the money gotten from a sale of another. For more or less the same amount so little was lost by transfer. A good article by Liverpudlian Tomkins was written on this last year I believe.

Rafa has overhauled the club from youth to senior squad. There are only 2 players left of that champions league team. Over 5 years, that many changes, it's really peanuts in comparison to the other top sides. Only Arsenal could really look at our spending and call us whingers. :p
Why shouldn't I look at his gross expenditure? The point isn't that he's bad at dealing, although he isn't great, it's that the money's there for him to spend (whether through revenue or through the sale of other players) and he spends it on crap.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Most media if I remember correctly did very much like that Telegraph article said and said he was being "a bit naughty" or "made the most of it" tbh. Don't remember them spending the rest of the match bringing up his dive every second minute or seeing headlines and studio analysts blatantly calling him a cheat.
I saw the game in the pub and everyone went mad, but I do live on Merseyside where Rooney isn't exactly, erm, popular. It got a fair going over on Sky during the game and SSN for the rest of the week, though.

That's just one example that I can remember, I'm sure there are others.

In other news, we're at home to Charlton tomorrow, can't see us getting a win yet we desperately need one. Eek.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Oh and it's pretty obvious that Benitez has bought loads of ****e players, but so has Ferguson tbf

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Benitez buys average players, takes a punt because that's frankly all we could afford. If he could afford to buy bigger players, he would.

And Keane, with the money we spent on him, wasn't bought to be on the bench. He was bought to play next to Torres, but he just got in Nando's way half the time.
Just laid down 16 million for a RB...

And I tink he paid over the price for a Guinness loving journeyman.

Benitez buys average because he is a poor judge of a player. He didn't buy players for Valencia and his only real successes were with players already known around Europe as being proven quality. Torres, Xabi et cetera were never going to fail.

Craig

World Traveller
How many people on Uppercut's list would consider successfull? Aside from being injury prone I thought Luis Garcia was quite a decent player for Liverpool and I don't think Mascherano has been that bad.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Worst thing with Benitez is that he sells the likes of Sissoko, a quality midfielder who has all the attributes to dominate in the Premier League and replaces him with lightweights like Lucas. A player who would rather be in Italy and a player who doesn't look capable of performing in England.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Garcia was good, scored some huge goals for the club but unsurprisingly he was sold. The turnover of staff at Liverpool is far too big for them to get the consistency you need to win trophies.

Xabi didn't want to leave but was forced out of the club because his manager thought Gareth Barry was a better player than him.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Why shouldn't I look at his gross expenditure? The point isn't that he's bad at dealing, although he isn't great, it's that the money's there for him to spend (whether through revenue or through the sale of other players) and he spends it on crap.
Because it's probably wholly relevant?

Benitez inherited a poor side and needed to make lots of chances. His top transfers for the first 3-4 years were 10 million pound players in Kuyt, Alonso, etc. Until Masch came in at 18 (and even then a chunk of that money came from the profit of Sissoko) and Torres was our first splash in years.

If you need to change 5 players in your club and you only have 25 million pounds in that kitty, you have to split it and buy decently. Yes, you can play 1 20 million pound player and 1 5 million pound player and keep the 3 you have but that's not going to improve your squad much. So Rafa has bought for more or less the same year after year for peanuts until he thought said player cut the mustard. Look at Riera, he cost us 7 million. He didn't cost us all the LMs combined that we had prior to Riera because those same players were sold for pretty much the same money we gotten them.

Let me try to make it clearer: if we bought a 7m LM in 2005, sold him for another 7m LM in 2006 and that LM, whilst being better, was not good enough, was sold for another 7m LM in 2007, and he was a keeper, it does not mean we had 21 million to spend. If you calculate it as you did the above, you'd be telling me Liverpool had 21 million when it was essentially the same 7m being recycled. It means our squad's worth hasn't really increased by 3 fold in price, although it has improved in quality.

Our best/fit XI is one of the best in the world (or rather really was last year when we had Xabi), could you have said that 4-5 years ago? I know we won the CL, but let's not kid each other here. We won the CL with players like Traore, Smicer, Mellor, Baros, etc. These are Europa cup level at best. And so IMO Rafa has done a really good job, basically trading up year after year, whilst using whatever he had. And he has put a fair investment into our youth teams so I hope we can learn to use them as Arsenal has a great system with their younger players.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Just laid down 16 million for a RB...

And I tink he paid over the price for a Guinness loving journeyman.

Benitez buys average because he is a poor judge of a player. He didn't buy players for Valencia and his only real successes were with players already known around Europe as being proven quality. Torres, Xabi et cetera were never going to fail.
Actually Johnson was bought for 10. Pompey owed us 7 million. Still, I agree that's a fair chunk of change but we are also generating more money now and we had our best season in the EPL last year.

Worst thing with Benitez is that he sells the likes of Sissoko, a quality midfielder who has all the attributes to dominate in the Premier League and replaces him with lightweights like Lucas. A player who would rather be in Italy and a player who doesn't look capable of performing in England.
This is quite ridiculous. Sissoko being sold for double what we bought him was a steal. The guy was a great destroyer, but an equally atrocious passer. He could never have made it in Liverpool.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Sissoko had one good season with Liverpool and was never going to play in the same side as Mascherano so I don't think selling him was bad business.

The most annoying thing about Benitez is that he only ever wins. If yer Scousers draw or (god forbid) lose it's because Parry (fornerly) or one of the yanks haven't backed him in the transfer market.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Liverpool are not a selling a club. If Real Madrid offer 40 odd million for Torres would they sell? And if they did, presumably you would consider it good business by Rafa because the price has been doubled.

You talk nonsense.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Liverpool are not a selling a club. If Real Madrid offer 40 odd million for Torres would they sell? And if they did, presumably you would consider it good business by Rafa because the price has been doubled.

You talk nonsense.
Do you know how many transfers we've had in the last 3-4 years? Haha, Liverpool not a selling club...heard it all now.

Sissoko had one good season with Liverpool and was never going to play in the same side as Mascherano so I don't think selling him was bad business.

The most annoying thing about Benitez is that he only ever wins. If yer Scousers draw or (god forbid) lose it's because Parry (fornerly) or one of the yanks haven't backed him in the transfer market.
You're right. Mascherano not only is a better destroyer but has a great passing completion rate to boot. Sissoko was really lost in a lot of games. A born ball-winner, but had 0 football IQ. I would laugh when people would seriously compare him to a legend like Patrick Vieira.

As for Parry, well, a lot is blamed on him for screwing up a lot of potential transfers. Vidic, Dani Alves and Simao to name 3. Now with Rafa having more power, we'll see how our transfers go and how we do in the future.