• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

kingkallis

International Coach
Ponting is as tough as nails really, Ive tried hard to dislike him during this series but hes grown in my estimation. Would be disappointed if people booed him or cheered him getting hit in what should be his last test in England to be honest.
Finally he is showing the signs of maturity! :ph34r:

Pizzorno

State Vice-Captain
Rest assured Ricky Ponting will get a massive ovation after his final innings. We love to hate him, but every cricket fan in England holds him in high esteem as a cricketer.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
About seven generations ago, maybe. I mean "De Villiers" is obviously of French origin too, but it's one of the Afrikans names.
Oh sure, and Malan speaks with an Afrikaner accent curtsey of schooling but he isn't (100%) legit.

But he is more Seth African than Graeme Smith, who is the most English South African cricketer in eons. Father is called Graham Smith but they South 'Africanised' juniors name.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Could be, I don't know. He does have a brother called
Charl Christiaan Malan
tho, whose first names sound resolutely Afrikans.

Anyway, played Skipper. Good knock.
W in Afrikaans is pronounced like a V.. So it's simply David and doubt the Welsh connection exists

Afrikaaners have french heritage as well as dutch, hence Cronje, Russouw, du Preez

Oh sure, and Malan speaks with an Afrikaner accent curtsey of schooling but he isn't (100%) legit.

But he is more Seth African than Graeme Smith, who is the most English South African cricketer in eons. Father is called Graham Smith but they South 'Africanised' juniors name.
Why does him having an English surname make him less South African than Dawid Malan? What should he be called, Graeme Tshabalala? Allan Donald couldn't even speak English until he was 9, has little baring on things sometimes

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
An English Ashes series just can't be complete without Ponting shedding some blood in it, but seriously needs to wear a helmet when fielding close in, it might seem pretty macho not to do so, but that incident could easily have been a lot serious.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
W in Afrikaans is pronounced like a V.. So it's simply David and doubt the Welsh connection exists

Afrikaaners have french heritage as well as dutch, hence Cronje, Russouw, du Preez

And why does someone with an english second name make him less South African? What should he be called.. Graeme Tshabalala? Allan Donald couldn't even speak English until he was 9
It doesn't make him less South African, he is of course, he just isn't your archetypical modern South African cricketer. Not many English South Africans are knocking around anymore and the ones who are, don't play their cricket there.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It doesn't make him less South African, he is of course, he just isn't your archetypical modern South African cricketer. Not many English South Africans are knocking around anymore and the ones who are, don't play their cricket there.
Cuts both ways too, doesn't it? Steyn has a non-Anglo surname but doesn't speak Afrikans. Folks were British Rhodesians I think.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Cuts both ways too, doesn't it? Steyn has a non-Anglo surname but doesn't speak Afrikans. Folks were British Rhodesians I think.
Yeah.. Not quite sure what he is getting at, cricket is still a predominantly Anglo-sport in SA.. Although the rise of the Afrikaner in our cricket system has been notable in recent years..

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Sweet comment by Tufnell after Lily Allen's appearance on TMS suggesting that CMJ would be more likely to listen to Flanagan & Allen.

jamesm

Banned
Ponting should have worn a helment in the field. For those like me without coverage I found a live feed here: rugbynz on Justin.tv

I think if we have to chase over 400 it's all over.

Last edited by a moderator:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Family is Zimbo miners (?) but I believe Steyn does speak Afrikaans due to teenage years spent in Pretoria playing for an Afrikaner team.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah.. Not quite sure what he is getting at, cricket is still a predominantly Anglo-sport in SA.. Although the rise of the Afrikaner in our cricket system has been notable in recent years..
In Natal and the Cape but the percentage of English South Africans is minimal in comparison to 50 years ago when cricket was traditionally a sport played by English South Africans.

If cricket was predominantly an 'Anglo' sport, then South Africa would be an associate side. Just not the case anymore.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hope Cook is having a good bowl in the nets. Colly should be practising his off-cutters, used to be an part-time off-spinner.