• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Great from Strauss that, must say though that these two showing that runs are to be made on this pitch if you get in and I think at least a couple of the Australian batsman are going to do that in the second innings. Unlikely to be enought but it will make things a little tense.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
As long as Sunday & Monday are set fair I'd agree with Cozza: bat all day. Take the Oz win out of the equation completely.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd like to see them have a tricky hour against Fred and the New Fred tonight. :)

This for me. The rest of Englands batting won't hang about if we don't get bowled out, I'd be disappointed if we waited that long to declare.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
As long as Sunday & Monday are set fair I'd agree with Cozza: bat all day. Take the Oz win out of the equation completely.
Yeah, and thankfully, unlike at Lord's, I have a day off Monday, so I'm not anxious to see us end it tomorrow, though I'd be surprised to see it go to a 5th day

stumpski

International Captain
At this rate should be 400 ahead by tea, say 440 by 5 o'clock. If we can't defend that sort of score we don't deserve to win it frankly.

100 partnership.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I agree, but what is the point in taking a risk? The flipside to the argument is, if we can't bowl them out in six sessions we don't deserve the Ashes. Make the game completely unwinnable. I was hyper stressed going into day five at Lord's so if the target is any smaller, I can barely think about it

stumpski

International Captain
I doubt if Strauss will be in a position to declare at any rate. Once these two are separated I can see us losing the remaining wickets fairly quickly. Won't necessarily be a bad thing though (depending how they get out, obviously).

kingkallis

International Coach
Tactful deployment of "modest" as euphemism for "shyte" by Athers when describing Cook's series.

Personally I think our top order will look a lot better when we complete the phasing out of native poms, tbh. :ph34r:

Still have Moore, Malan & Kieswetter to come in.
All 3 are born Proteas? :unsure:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Great from Strauss that, must say though that these two showing that runs are to be made on this pitch if you get in and I think at least a couple of the Australian batsman are going to do that in the second innings. Unlikely to be enought but it will make things a little tense.
Yeah, I really hope there isn't a really early declaration, may as well try and bat the day out if possible, no point putting them in prematurely unless the weather really looks like taking a turn for the worse.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I doubt if Strauss will be in a position to declare at any rate. Once these two are separated I can see us losing the remaining wickets fairly quickly. Won't necessarily be a bad thing though (depending how they get out, obviously).
You're probably right, but it is nice we can even talk about the declaration as a realistic ambition. Thought we'd be six or seven down with this score up at best.

Yarp imports ftw. :thumbsup:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hopefully everyone is seeing here why you don't rely on part-timers for wickets.

Norf especially. Has bowled 28 overs his game so far. That, for a number 6 picked for his batting, is incredible.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Right here is the one little piece of hope I'm clinging to - there are still runs to be made on this pitch and these two are looking more comfortable than I would have expected. Australia have a couple of batsmen better than anyone on the England team and I've got to believe that they the innings of a lifetime in them with the Ashes at stake.