• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Here's my prediction...

The Aussies will skittle England for less than 128, thereby keeping the target below 300

That will then require someone to get a century and 3 others to get fifties, which should be from Ponting, Hussey, Clarke, North and Haddin since they only scored 20 runs combined in the first innings :ph34r:

...and in Hussey's case, I think only a century will save his Test Career now.

ummm, just noticed that the highest 4th innings score to win at the Oval is 9-263, so the Aussies will also set another record :D
I've backed Australia at 5-1. Partly because they're great odds, and partly to ease the heartbreak if we lose from here (it wouldn't succeed in that aim btw)

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, we lost a series 5-0 and never heard the end of it until this one started.

Say what you want about us, there is nothing wrong with enjoying good times. What should we do? Not post at all, or just not mention the cricket? Nobody complains when we're here posting while our team are getting bowled out for 102.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Mate, they stiffed you.

Should be tens at least.
Perhaps because I'm an eternal pessimist I reckon that (a) there's a reasonable chance we will get bowled out for not very many more, and (b) as I've said the aussies will fancy their chances of chasing anything under about 400.

pasag

RTDAS
Yeah, we lost a series 5-0 and never heard the end of it until this one started.

Say what you want about us, there is nothing wrong with enjoying good times. What should we do? Not post at all, or just not mention the cricket? Nobody complains when we're here posting while our team are getting bowled out for 102.
Haha settle down, no one is saying you can't enjoy anything and I'm not telling anyone how to post, all I'm saying is that it's going to be ****ing annoying puttting up with you ****s over the next year or so.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Haha settle down, no one is saying you can't enjoy anything and I'm not telling anyone how to post, all I'm saying is that it's going to be ****ing annoying puttting up with you ****s over the next year or so.
And all I'm saying is that it's always annoying putting up with you ****s :p

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
You guys have been surprisingly restrained actually. I'd have been gloating more, I admit. Maybe painful experience has taught you caution/pessimism.

Pigeon

Banned
You guys have been surprisingly restrained actually. I'd have been gloating more, I admit. Maybe painful experience has taught you caution/pessimism.
Adelaide 2007 :suicide:

This time also, I feel just the opposite can happen. England sets Aus a target near 500 to win, and Australia canter to that in less than 2 days to put a world record. ;(

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
You got it in one.

Or to put it another way, we've come to respect profoundly our team's expertise and consistency when it comes to finding ways of throwing away strong positions. Except for Extras; we can always rely on Extras.

PY

International Coach
If Glenn McGrath came out of retirement (and was at his peak) for a 10-over spell, I'd say this game was evenly poised. However, think England are 65-35 at this stage.

Shows what Test cricket is all about this series, doesn't have to be world-beating cricket (though it was good yesterday) for it to be so intriguing. Australians fought back really well last night with the ball, awesome effort given what had happened with the bat.

And Collingwood looked like a plonker with the bat, he mustn't like Ashes deciders at the Oval because he looked like rabbit in headlights at the Oval too.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Some good news….

When Australia lose the Toss and field first, batting averages for the 4th innings are pretty good (all are above career averages, so shows fight):

Ponting 63.55 (2nd Aussie to Bradman who averaged 73.60)
Hussey 59.16
Clarke 54.85
Johnson 50.00
Haddin 40.33

Now if only they can perform above their averages for this game :p

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Where's nnandos to defend his fanboyism/comments.
Um... I was online the entire Test, changed my picture and signature to reflect England's successs and am one of the few people who, before the series, said England would win it. Where were you?

Such a huge toss to win! Feel really sorry for Australia here, there's really not much they could've done differently. :( But again, fairplay to Broad and Swann for an incredible bowling performance, done in a spectacular manner that no-one expected. :)

EDIT: Am still backing Norfy for his 5. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

James

Cricket Web Owner
Shame the rugby clashes with the cricket tonight! I want to watch both, but the rugby will win out I think. Could be a painful night for you Aussies :p ;)

Broad leads the overall points scoring in Cricket Web Fantasy Cricket with 153 points, with Clarke second on 145 points. Pretty incredible actually considering how so few people actually rate him as a cricketer.