• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

howardj

International Coach
She's a clean sheet, this Test.

I really think it's close to 50/50
As I say, people who were thinking that Australia's so-called momentum going into this Test meant anything, were out of their mind. Each Test has been an island unto itself in this Series. I think that neither of these teams is really good enough to get on top of the other for a series of Tests in a row - plus there was a 10 day break after the 4th Test.

Full credit to England last night. It was weird - Australia didn't play rashly/badly as such, and neither did Broad or Swan (but for the ball that got Haddin) produce a series of absolute unplayables. Rather, it was just good, sustained pressure and tight bowling that won the day...and with it the Ashes.

pasag

RTDAS
How much do people think Aus can realistically chase on this deck given they were lucky to pass 150 on their first try?

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This.

A month or two before the series started, I was so confident of Australia winning that I bet an English mate that if they won, I'd do a nudie run around college. Really, really not looking forward to this.

pup11

International Coach
Yup, anything between 250-300 is just about a realistic target, anything beyond that would be game over, but we're already way behind the 8-ball in this game, and our only chance is to hope that England have a monumental collapse in the 1st session, so keeping my fingers crossed for that.

I think Ponting needs to be a bit pro-active here, and set innovative feilds, and be sharp with his bowling changes, simply can't afford any more slip-ups in this game, so every Aussie needs to be at the top of his game from here on.

Btw, NUFAN did mention this yesterday, but what exactly is Stuey Clark in the side for, picking him ahead of a spinner was a mistake, but still since he is there, I would have liked to see him bowl a few overs yesterday, with the keeper upto the stumps, if he bowls his cutters well, he might cause a few problems on this track.

Last edited:

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Nup - 200 will be the most try can realistically chase. This pitch is going to get worse and worse as the match goes on.

Craig

World Traveller
Michael Clarke is the leading run scorer, Ben Hilfenhaus is the leading wicket taker, and Australia has scored 7 centuries to England's 1, and yet England are the favourites to win the Test and the Ashes. WTF? :blink:

Saw the highlights earlier and jeez Marcus North copped a rough call against him, saw it first time and didn't think it was out.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interesting stat that the Aus batting hasn't gotten past 200 in 3/5 first digs this series. And they're (likely) about to lose this series 2-1. Shows you how important it is to have blokes in the side who lead from the front and why, in terms of winning Tests consistently, the relatively poor 2nd innings records of Steve Waugh, Virender Sehwag, Rick Ponting, etc. really don't matter too much. 1st innings runs > 2nd innings runs.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nup - 200 will be the most try can realistically chase. This pitch is going to get worse and worse as the match goes on.
AWTA. The game is already over unless at least two of the Aussies bat like demons.

I mean, if you were one of the Aussie bats, you always have confidence in your ability, especially with so much time to go but it's a huge ask.

pup11

International Coach
Michael Clarke is the leading run scorer, Ben Hilfenhaus is the leading wicket taker, and Australia has scored 7 centuries to England's 1, and yet England are the favourites to win the Test and the Ashes. WTF? :blink:

Saw the highlights earlier and jeez Marcus North copped a rough call against him, saw it first time and didn't think it was out.
When Australia have had a good time as a team, just about everyone has chipped in with bat and ball, but when the going has proved to be tough, everyone except Hilfy and Clarke,North have been found wanting.

The problem has been Australia have either been extremely good or extremely bad in this series, there haven't been many periods of play where they have played steady cricket, and that has cost us big when one looks at the bigger picture, because except at Headingley England have been pretty steady right through the series without being brilliant, and all they have done is capatalise on our mistakes.

pup11

International Coach
AWTA. The game is already over unless at least two of the Aussies bat like demons.

I mean, if you were one of the Aussie bats, you always have confidence in your ability, especially with so much time to go but it's a huge ask.
I think people are hyping the pitch a bit too much, yeah its brittle and spinning big, but don't think in 2 days of play a single batsman has got out because of the pitch, of course batting last on it will be tough, but don't think chasing down 250-300 odd would be impossible or anything, if our guys show a bit more application and resilience in the 2nd dig.

The real problem though is, I can't see how we would be able to bowl England out under 150 odd runs in this innings, and failing to do so would pretty much mean we would be chasing an impossible target batting last on this deck.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Interesting stat that the Aus batting hasn't gotten past 200 in 3/5 first digs this series. And they're (likely) about to lose this series 2-1. Shows you how important it is to have blokes in the side who lead from the front and why, in terms of winning Tests consistently, the relatively poor 2nd innings records of Steve Waugh, Virender Sehwag, Rick Ponting, etc. really don't matter too much. 1st innings runs > 2nd innings runs.
Yep.

JBH001

International Regular
How much do people think Aus can realistically chase on this deck given they were lucky to pass 150 on their first try?
Reckon anything under 300, or under 250 ideally, is gettable. Hence why the morning session is so important. If England are still there at lunch, an extra 75 runs scored, and a couple of wickets still in hand, then Australia are done. But if England are rolled for anything less than 150, then Australia are still in it, I reckon.

Wont be watching it though. Wallabies vs All Blacks tonight, and anyway Sky arent even showing the morning session because of all the other sports. The only way they might is if SL roll NZ out early, which means they may switch cricket coverage over to the Oval.

Pigeon

Banned
:thumbup: Excellent words those mate. Batsmen set up wins by scoring big, importantly in the first innings, because that gives bowlers enough cash to play with.

howardj

International Coach
No matter who you support, it was exciting viewing last night.

Mayhem - and such significant mayhem.

Made it until 2am - my best effort yet.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
At what time Australian time and English time do the matches start? We get tests from the West Indies at 7.30 and 8.30 PM Local and tests from NZ at 2.30 AM and 3.30 AM local.