• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Edit: @ Aussie, mate you may think you have given valid reasons. But no one else does. And no need to hijack the thread in any case.
I have yet to hear a valid reason in 4 years by fans like myself or media personnel, why Ponting fielding first was @ Edgbaston was a tactical blunder. Its a cricketening myth just like Gavaskar dominated the great WI bowlers & Imran averaged 50 with the bat as a "all-rounder".

Plus im not hijacking anything, CW threads always go awol.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I have yet to hear a valid reason in 4 years by fans like myself or media personnel, why Ponting fielding first was @ Edgbaston was a tactical blunder.
Or rather you've chosen to ignore the criticism because you choose to believe it wasn't a blunder.

It was, especially given the circumstances of the change to the team so close to the start of play,

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So much for his being a 400 pitch.

EDIT: And, I might add, Trott looked far better under pressure at the end of the day than Id have backed Ramps to look. But, of cours, there's no way you can tell whether he'd be able to handle it, just luck by the selectors.

Last edited:

Redbacks

International Captain
overall our batting has been reasonable but our middle order is a soft as butter once things get a little tough, 3/4 times we have failed miserably in bowler friendly 1st innings condititons. Compared with England's 1/1

Mr Cricket.........Mr Retirement

pasag

RTDAS
Y'know, I'm probably the ONLY person in Australia to wake up and be marginally happy with the score. Fell asleep with us looking to be a/o for 110, so another 50 runs and 3 early wickets is a little bit of a suprise. Still want to kill myself, mind.

pasag

RTDAS
Ah look, England doing well and all the Poms back over us like a rash here. Don't mind Australia losing the Ashes as much as the gleeful gloating we'll have to put up from these ****s over the next 16 or so months.

Burgey

Y'know, I'm probably the ONLY person in Australia to wake up and be marginally happy with the score. Fell asleep with us looking to be a/o for 110, so another 50 runs and 3 early wickets is a little bit of a suprise. Still want to kill myself, mind.
Yeah you are.

Broadie hits the town to celebrate his wickets:

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah, i'm reasonably happy all things considered. Still in it imo, especially if Johnners/Moobs unleash in the first session tonight.

irfan

State Captain
I'm kind of happy I went to bed last night just when Ponting came to the crease.

I too thought that England would win (weather permitting) if they won the toss and batted, I hope we can win or draw it from here.
Yep, me too. Just finished watching the highlights and I can't believe that Ladyboy has skittled Aus for 160. Kudos to him though, because he was rightly rissoled and pilloried from everyone here, including myself. Unlike Leeds tho, most of the wickets were well deserved as he bowled the right length on this pitch. Swann was very lucky with a couple, but bowled okish considering the pitch was a crumbler.

Horrible collapse from Australia tho, can't believe they would collapse to bits after Watson got out. Unless he pulls out a second innings ton, Hussey will be kicked out if Australia loses this. I can't see Aus making 350+ on this pitch but then again they nearly made 450 at Lord's so you never know....

Oh and btw, lol at aussie's comments in this thread. Has made a right prat out of himself

Zinzan

Hardly anyone has mentioned the toss as being a factor. From a neutral perspective, I pretty much picked England to win this test (therefore the series) as soon as they won the toss, even though I genuinely think Oz are still the slightly stronger side. That pitch was always going to be at its best on the first day and then deteriorate

Incidentally & I stand to be corrected, but hasn't Strauss won 4 out of 5 tosses?