• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Australia was done in by quality swing bowling, not the pitch. There is a very important difference.
Haddin and Hussey were done in by swing. Watson, Ponting, Clarke weren't.

Not to say it wasn't goof bowling mind.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
How many of Broad's wickets were down to the pitch? He just bowled an excellent 12 over spell where he would've got batsmen out on just about any surface.
You could say Ponting and Clarke, both due to the uneven pace of the pitch.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Haddin and Hussey were done in by swing. Watson, Ponting, Clarke weren't.

Not to say it wasn't goof bowling mind.
Goof bowling or not, I'd say that Clarke was done in by swing (not saying it wasn't a goof shot, mind you). The outswing just took the ball an extra few inches away from him, and he had to stretch for it.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, is the failure to pick a spinner going to be 2009's "we're gonna have a bowl"
Well firslty Ponting was not wrong to bowl first @ Edgbaston in 05. That whole thing has always been blown out of proportion.

This time around, ATS i would have to say no. AUS selectors can't be blamed for not picking Haurtiz, only way he could have played is if Watson could have ben entrusted to bowl long spells. But even so i personally would have still kept 4 seamers, just replacing Lee for Clark.

Right now things are obviously evenly balanced, AUS seamers can easily run through ENG in the morning of course.

tooextracool

International Coach
Think Australia can count themselves to be extremely unfortunate having lost the toss, although they did shoot themselves in the foot by not picking Hauritz on this pitch. It's all fine going into Headingley without a spinner but at the Oval it was going to be a gamble and they obviously messed up.

At the end of the day, regardless of whomever wins this series, its fair to say that both teams have been pretty much evenly matched, with Australia probably being the better team overall, but England being better suited to the conditions.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well firslty Ponting was not wrong to bowl first @ Edgbaston in 05. That whole thing has always been blown out of proportion.

This time around, ATS i would have to say no. AUS selectors can't be blamed for not picking Haurtiz, only way he could have played is if Watson could have ben entrusted to bowl long spells. But even so i personally would have still kept 4 seamers, just replacing Lee for Clark.

Right now things are obviously evenly balanced, AUS seamers can easily run through ENG in the morning of course.
Evenly balanced, obviously...

Of course the selectors can be blamed for not picking Hauritz.

It was obvious The Oval was on course for the usual fair, a flat pitch with a bit of bounce in it. Only til like just over a week ago did the curator know England needed a win in that Test. You obviously can't doctor the pitch so the main way of creating a result pitch given the weather was to let it bake in the sun (which was what happened) - creating a crumbler.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't understand why Hauritz could only play if Watson is able to bowl long spells. Most sides play a spinner just fine with a four-man attack. And it's not as if Hauritz didn't play well in the first few matches.

subshakerz

International Coach
I don't understand why Hauritz could only play if Watson is able to bowl long spells. Most sides play a spinner just fine with a four-man attack. And it's not as if Hauritz didn't play well in the first few matches.
Major misreading of the pitch IMO by Ponting. Its funny, last year in India Ponting copped criticism for employing his spinners to better his overrate. Now it will be his decision to not play a spinner that can do him in.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Strauss could still top the run-charts for the series if he bats well, unfortunately he tends to be ****e when he stays in overnight, we'll see

Hoping Broad can top the wicket list as well, will have to check the stats and see if it's possible

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Guys, what do you think is the minimum good score for England here, considering this pitch, that Australia will find hard to chase?