• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bloody Marcus North has been doing it all series, it's only fair to get a reverse dose of it at some point. Bell probably has more potential than North anyways.
I have to say I disagree with that. North's innings in the last test was a very good one. I haven't seen Bell manage to put together an innings yet without having looked very ordinary early on/being out and not given. Not saying he's never done it mind you, just that I haven't seen it. His record against Australia might be why.

Bell's potential gets talked up all the time. When's he going to fulfil this supposed gargantuan potential of his? When he's 65?

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My alarm didn't go off. Angry angry Jamee.

Has this been an innings of Ian Bell showing he's not useless, or the pitch being depressingly flat?
He's been pretty ordinary before lunch but is looking better now. Was possibly out very early, but would have been hard to give. Would say he went straight to the toilet at lunch and emptied a few nuggets out of the back of the strides after Johnson went at his head early.

pup11

International Coach
Seriously this is annoying the hell out of me, the bowlers are just going through the motions here, and blokes like Lee and Haurrie who could have been effective with this older ball are sitting on the sidelines.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Will be interesting to see how this pitch reacts to spin with all the talk of it deteriorating and being a dry surrface. First ball, there is turn for North. Second ball is an average off spinning delivery. Delivery number three has bounce, grip and turn. This pitch is not bad at all for spinners considering this is day 1. Warne should have jumped out of the commentary box for this one.

tooextracool

International Coach
I have to say I disagree with that. North's innings in the last test was a very good one. I haven't seen Bell manage to put together an innings yet without having looked very ordinary early on/being out and not given. Not saying he's never done it mind you, just that I haven't seen it. His record against Australia might be why.
North's inning in the last test had more to do with poor bowling than good batting. England bowled atrociously poor in the last test, almost certainly the worst I have seen in the last year and there is very little arguing that. The odd time they pitch the ball up to North he looked completely clueless and not surprisingly in the 3 innings where England have actually bowled competently this series (twice at Lords and first innings at Edgbaston) North has barely looked like scoring a run.

Regarding Bell, he's done it plenty of times before, including on a couple of 50s on the Ashes tour a couple of years ago and in his 83 and 74 at Kandy.

Bell's potential gets talked up all the time. When's he going to fulfil this supposed gargantuan potential of his? When he's 65?
He may never do so, and it's looking increasingly likely. However, its hard to deny that he's batted fairly well so far or that he has potential.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bloody Marcus North has been doing it all series, it's only fair to get a reverse dose of it at some point. Bell probably has more potential than North anyways.
TEC confirms the long held suspicion of his having his head up his own arse.

Bell > North eh? Have another pint mate. FMD.

tooextracool

International Coach
Gotta agree with Athers, 175/2 would be a pretty good score for any team, but knowing England's middle order propensity to crumble 175/2 is a pressure situation.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
A full delivery which should have been despatched for a four caught out. Dire dismissal. Very pure test cricket bu Australia will take it.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Gotta agree with Athers, 175/2 would be a pretty good score for any team, but knowing England's middle order propensity to crumble 175/2 is a pressure situation.
Sledger called it early - one wicket and it's unknown territory and that one wicket has fallen.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
He's been pretty ordinary before lunch but is looking better now. Was possibly out very early, but would have been hard to give. Would say he went straight to the toilet at lunch and emptied a few nuggets out of the back of the strides after Johnson went at his head early.
Frankly speaking day 1 on this pitch if you struggle as batsman, then you aren't going to do too well in international cricket, I think the toss was vital, and England were lucky that they won the toss and batted first, because this pitch is gonna get pretty difficult to bat on as the game progresses, and a substantial 1st innings total can put England firmly in the driver's seat for the rest of the game.

EDIT: Good catch that from Hussey, put a pretty poor shot from Collingwood.