• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've been pretty impressed actually. Good bowler. I suspect he and Broad have been a little underrated because their teammates let them down in the games when they bowled well.

Stapel

International Regular
How facts can differ form one's gut feeling.......

The stats simply say Onions is England's top bowler, with Broad coming next.

As said earlier, bringing in Harmison would not be the best choice, but might be the best gamble.

Whatever England's line up will be, I sense a great match coming up. So far, we have seen two teams that are not at their best. Whoever gets things right, wins this series.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Nothing to do with bottle, he's a rather large bullseye for fast bowlers (when he bats) but he still cops it, stays in line and pulls and hooks.
Takes one kind of bottle to bravely take physical pain in a circumstance no-one expects you to achieve anything, and another not to freak out and let your country down in a role that everyone is expecting great things of you.

Although, to be fair, I've always understood Harmlessson's problems to be more related to being a big sooky mummy's boy who gets upset when he has to sleep in a hotel than any generalised lack of bottle.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Would hope they drop Onions for Paneser, or failing that Harmison. The only chance of an Aussie attack comes when opponents bowl disciplined lines, with a little bit of assistance from pitch or in the air, and the Aussies get caught between playing disciplined cricket vs. being overly aggressive and implode. Harmison bowls some brutish deliveries, but he also reliably bowls some poor lines and lengths, and fails to apply that pressure. Onions won't cause much damage UNLESS the ball nips around a bit, but he could do plenty if it does, and otherwise will at least maintain pressure.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Onions has been really good IMO. Strauss hasn't given the ball to him near enough.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Onions is probably more capable of a match-winning performance than any other bowler in England's lineup - despite this stuff about him being 'steady'.

He's a very attacking bowler who can bowl for long periods and very much takes wickets in bunches. If Strauss had actually used him properly (he should take the new ball most of the time) and not given the impression that Onions is his 4th seamer then he would have more wickets in this series.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Onions is probably more capable of a match-winning performance than any other bowler in England's lineup - despite this stuff about him being 'steady'.

He's a very attacking bowler who can bowl for long periods and very much takes wickets in bunches. If Strauss had actually used him properly (he should take the new ball most of the time) and not given the impression that Onions is his 4th seamer then he would have more wickets in this series.
Well, to be honest, he is the most "steady" in England's line up imo. And in being so, no way discredits his wicket taking abilities for mine.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, to be honest, he is the most "steady" in England's line up imo. And in being so, no way discredits his wicket taking abilities for mine.
The thing about him is, the fact that he makes the batsman play so often gives him a poor economy rate. That doesn't matter IMO, it's always better to take your wickets quickly than take them slowly and all he's really doing is cutting down the "nothing balls" that will neither go for runs nor take a wicket (generally on a length outside off stump). Still, a test economy rate of 4.04 and S/R of 36 isn't what most would describe as a "steady" bowler. Scaly's right- he's been miscast in the popular eye pretty badly.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
The thing about him is, the fact that he makes the batsman play so often gives him a poor economy rate. That doesn't matter IMO, it's always better to take your wickets quickly than take them slowly and all he's really doing is cutting down the "nothing balls" that will neither go for runs nor take a wicket (generally on a length outside off stump). Still, a test economy rate of 4.04 and S/R of 36 isn't what most would describe as a "steady" bowler. Scaly's right- he's been miscast in the popular eye pretty badly.
Not sure that the ER really reflects his bowling. He had a few spells where he was getting tonked - when everyone else was too - or spells where he was very tidy.

howardj

International Coach
I awake to news from my spies that SClark will play in a four-pronged pace battery.

But for the keeper, the team is to be unchanged from Headingley.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
Hope so, not only because Haddin'd score more runs, but because it means Bumble might do his little song again.

EDIT: Obviously not going to be the case though.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
Dont think that is entirely true. I rate Onions a fair bit, however it's been fairly obvious in some spells that he's been completely atrocious and sprayed the ball around a fair bit. At Headingley he was shocking in his first spell (although not even close to the standard of Harmison) and he improved as the game went on. Like Anderson, it may well have to do with the position of his head at delivery point which is facing the ground, but nonetheless I like his style of bowling and when he does get it right, he is very very frustrating given his tendency to bowl at the stumps. In his later spells at Headingley, he admirably pitch the ball up consistently and its only a pity that Strauss didn't bowl him enough and that he didn't do it early enough in the game to give England any chance.

tooextracool

International Coach
From the Telegraph: Graeme Onions, Monty Panesar, Steve Harmison and Ryan Sidebottom are in contention for the final bowling spot. Panesar's lack of anything approaching decent form this summer will almost certainly rule him out, while Harmison's record at the south London ground may just see him get the nod.

I wouldn't dare to say Harmison should be picked, but is it really a worse choice than any of the alternatives?
Onions hasn't impressed me, apart form one spell, I think
Panesar, as the Telegraph states, isn't in form. And why consider two spinners, if the Aussies consider to uses none at all? Makes no sense to me........
Sidebottom might not be assisted by the Oval pitch.

Maybe Harmison is the right gamble, rather than choice, for this must-win test?
Harmison was downright disgraceful at Headingley and I would be very very surprised if he played given that he's not held with in very high regard by the coach and several in the management.

Personally, I'd pick Onions in a heartbeat, though I expect with the selectors, unfortunately, its between Onions and Panesar.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Feeling good about this match. Johnson to take 10 wickets in the match, Ponting to ton up.