• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official Third Test at Edgbaston

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What inbox said...

A draw here was inevitable given how the weather at Edgbaston has been like, but Australia's performance so far in this game, would have further boosted England's confidence, and on the contrary the spirit in the Australian camp won't be too high.

I just feel a draw here makes Australia's chances of retaining the Ashes all the more difficult, though all hope isn't lost, as there isn't too much that's wrong with this side, they just need to use some common sense while picking the XI, and batsmen need to be a bit more consistent.
They need to adopt a selection policy based on something other than a wing and a prayer

pasag

RTDAS
Johnson improved markedly yesterday and doesnt look far away from some form so I'd retain him

If there was no more play in this test, Siddle should go for Clark and I'd replace North with McDonald and hope the bastmen pull their fingers out

Honestly, the biggest problem is the loss of Haddin as Manou, whilst good with the gloves, is a no. 9 at best
Can't replace North with Macca unless Haddin comes back. Plus if Watto is kept on the extra bowling isn't necessary. Getting in Hussey or Rogers from around the block might be a better option.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Johnson improved markedly yesterday and doesnt look far away from some form so I'd retain him

If there was no more play in this test, Siddle should go for Clark and I'd replace North with McDonald and hope the bastmen pull their fingers out

Honestly, the biggest problem is the loss of Haddin as Manou, whilst good with the gloves, is a no. 9 at best
No need to make these decisions now tbf. There probably won't be a result but there'll still be plenty of cricket to judge the players on.

social

Can't replace North with Macca unless Haddin comes back. Plus if Watto is kept on the extra bowling isn't necessary. Getting in Hussey or Rogers from around the block might be a better option.
Agree with the thoughts on Haddin

History says the selectors wont go outside the squad no matter how much sense it makes (e.g. no replacement for Lee despite being unavailable for virtually the whole tour)

social

No need to make these decisions now tbf. There probably won't be a result but there'll still be plenty of cricket to judge the players on.
We've seen enough in 2.5 tests to know that they're picking the wrong team

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We've seen enough in 2.5 tests to know that they're picking the wrong team
We can see more in the next 0.5 tests to contradict that though. Midge Johnson, for instance, could hit form, and if he does he's an automatic pick. There's no need to make up our minds just yet.

pup11

International Coach

Given the way Australia have batted in the the 1st innings of the last two tests, it pretty hard to expect them to drop a batsmen in favor of Macca, and neither can I see them playing Clark in the next test at the expense of Siddle, because they tend to rate Siddle a bit too much to drop him, so unless Lee doesn't get fit for the next change, can pretty much see us playing with an unchanged XI in the next test.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, they're getting new drainage at Leeds though. Edgbaston seems content to remain crap for spectators.
They already have the new drainage system it just wasn't working properly yet when they had the ODI against West Indies there(because they were late installing it). It should be a lot better than Edgaston they have the same system as OT and there's been a massive improvement there this year.

Dydl

International Debutant
With that being 7 minutes ago, should have some further news soon.
Was just making a post along those lines.

And now the update:

"2.35pm Right. It's a bog. A marsh.

The vegetation, in this case, is the grass of the outfield. Much of it is submerged by water. The water table is through the roof, and while there are some "transition zones" between said puddles and aforementioned outfield, those are about as solid as a biscuit that's been dunked in a cup of tea. The situation is soggy and hopeless, I'm afraid, and the sooner they call this off for today - if not the entire Test - the better. "

Sounds pretty bad.

EDIT: And yep, there we go. Abandoned for the day. About time too.

Last edited: