• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official Third Test at Edgbaston

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Should play through the night to make up the time. Lack of light will mean the Australians will be less likely to see the ball to hit it, but the difference to Prior's keeping will be negligible. We'll be sorted.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I remember on the Saturday of the Lord's Test they said we could go on until 7.40 (bad light & rain stopped that), so how come there has to be a 7 finish tonight? Are there longer hours allowed on day 4/5? Should make up as much time as the light allows, give a better chance of a result and the people their money's worth.

Oz will be pleased with this session. Bowlers need to regroup tonight. They all seem to bowl so much better when Flintoff is on fire.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I remember on the Saturday of the Lord's Test they said we could go on until 7.40 (bad light & rain stopped that), so how come there has to be a 7 finish tonight? Are there longer hours allowed on day 4/5? Should make up as much time as the light allows, give a better chance of a result and the people their money's worth.
I agree that ideally we'd make-up as much time as light allows, but the fact is only 1 hour per day is allowed to be set aside. The reason for the 7:40 possibility in the previous game was if slow over-rates crept in (1\2hr) and because of 10 minutes being added for the Queen's visit, which surprisingly they haven't (much) here.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I agree that ideally we'd make-up as much time as light allows, but the fact is only 1 hour per day is allowed to be set aside. The reason for the 7:40 possibility in the previous game was if slow over-rates crept in (1\2hr) and because of 10 minutes being added for the Queen's visit, which surprisingly they haven't (much) here.
Fair enough to only allow an hour on top of a full day's play. But when two and a bit sessions have been wiped out, play as long as you can, FFS

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Pretty sure if play has been lost on previous days you can make it up on later days, unless I am imagining it

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Interesting session, frustrating from an English POV but thank God Swann took that pole. Must do better in the morning.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pretty sure if play has been lost on previous days you can make it up on later days, unless I am imagining it
Yeah, you can - can't remember if that's an hour or half-hour, think (ridiculously) it's only half-hour.

Point is if there's been no time lost there's no more than 1\2hr available ever. Think if time has been lost it's 1 hour for the day in question, 1\2hr for previous days, but might be wrong.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Interesting session, frustrating from an English POV but thank God Swann took that pole. Must do better in the morning.
Can't see it happening TBH, reckon we'd be hammered if this game went the course. Perhaps fortunately it's not remotely likely to (though I agree with He Of The Birth In '79 that "only cowards pray for rain").

I've got the excuse that I'm going to be semi-hungover on Saturday though. Ergo I hope it hammers down all over the country all day.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Taking Swann off was an odd decision indeed. Should have had two wickets in his first over, Watson was plumb sweeping first ball.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
**** off, I'm going on Saturday!

Anyway, forecast suggests we will get full day tomorrow, about 70 overs each Saturday & Sunday, not sure on Monday yet. Could well be enough time left in the game for a result, anyway. Always find talk of a draw at this stage to be presumptuous, IIRC the same things were being said at this point during the Lord's test

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This pitch has been a lot quicker, with a bit more bounce, than the Lord's one was on the first day. Funny because Lord's was much quicker than this on every subsequent day of that test. I suppose you just never know how a pitch will behave.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
**** off, I'm going on Saturday!
Serious question - would you rather see a day where England were buried alive or a day where it rained? Interesting question for a partisan like you.
Anyway, forecast suggests we will get full day tomorrow, about 70 overs each Saturday & Sunday, not sure on Monday yet. Could well be enough time left in the game for a result, anyway. Always find talk of a draw at this stage to be presumptuous, IIRC the same things were being said at this point during the Lord's test
Forecasts seem to be changing every 5 minutes (not surprising with the jetstreams as strong as they've been the last month really). Earlier today all I was hearing was how Sat and Sun were both looking dreadful.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
There will be rain on Sat but should be plenty of play as well. Sunday is looking decent.

But yeah, they are constantly changing. also finding that the accuweather site f_o_s showed me to is quite different to BBC

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Answer the other bloody question. :dry: Which in fairness I might have edited in after you read the post with your super-quick-new-posts-function replies.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Good session to watch there. Thought England were pretty poor, but not taking anything away from Watson, played a good innings, looked like a proper test opener.