• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official Third Test at Edgbaston

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I was thinking about who I'd least like to see for the Aussie bowling attack. I've decided on Johnson, Hauritz, Clark and Hilfenhaus. I would have said MacDonald or Watson instead of North, but it doesn't bother me too much now because five bowlers isn't so much of a strength when it's going to be a short game anyway.

Woodster

International Captain
In my eyes our chances of a win would improve if Stuart Clark still cannot find a place in the Australian XI. I appreciate the selectors may want to remain loyal to the pace attack that won them the series in South Africa, but come on, Clark is a class act that will undoubtedly trouble the England line-up, and offer Ponting a great deal of control.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In my eyes our chances of a win would improve if Stuart Clark still cannot find a place in the Australian XI. I appreciate the selectors may want to remain loyal to the pace attack that won them the series in South Africa, but come on, Clark is a class act that will undoubtedly trouble the England line-up, and offer Ponting a great deal of control.
Oz beat SA (a faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar better team than Eng) in SA with Johnson, Siddle, Hilfy and McDonald

Oz selectors are all about loyalty

DO NOT expect changes unless they dump our best performed bowler in this series for Macca

Woodster

International Captain
Lost his nip?
Would make a difference if he has, although he's never been quick, he's always had a yard and naturally would be a little easier to play depending how much of his nip he's lost. It may be that due to a lack of cricket of late, he may just be a little rusty. From what I've seen/read/heard, I don't believe he's lost his nip, at mid 80's (mph) he offers enough pace, and as we know his skills do lie in other areas.

Woodster

International Captain
Oz beat SA (a faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar better team than Eng) in SA with Johnson, Siddle, Hilfy and McDonald

Oz selectors are all about loyalty

DO NOT expect changes unless they dump our best performed bowler in this series for Macca
I am in no way suggesting we are a better side than SA, and while there is a case for remaining loyal to Hilfy, Siddle, and Johnson, you are 1-0 down in a series with three Tests to play, one man that has been relatively ineffective and another woefully out of form. Maybe a change is needed before it's too late, Clark offers the perfect replacement for Hauritz, Johnson or Siddle depending on your persuasion.

I am not expecting changes, but I'm keeping my fingers firmly crossed that the same side is selected!

Last edited:

sephiroth123

Cricket Spectator
Less than 300 overs of play. Write it in.
I think thats probably not going to be far from the truth actually, Saturday looks like it'll have at least a deent amount of rain stopping play, and Monday may also have similar issues from the looks of things. Tomorrow could have a risk of an early shower as well.

I think draw has to be the most likely outcome in this event.

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
These injries might make the series even better from a spectator point of view.
The first Test, England made a nice comeback and during the second Test, Strauss & Co. destroyed Australia. Altho they kept on fighting. If they can keep up this mentality they may have a chance winning the Third test.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Thats a good point about the batting, I think that might be one of the major reasons why Australia might be leaning away from Clark, if indeed that is the case. Nonetheless, I think it still would be a farce if Clark doesn't play in the next test.

Regarding Johnson, his situation is not too dissimilar to that of Harmison in SA a few years ago. Ranked what was it 1 or 2 in the world and then bowled some absolute pies in SA. Of course, Harmison had a few things going for him in that, 1) that England side had Flintoff and a 5 man bowling attack which was able to cover up for him and 2) that England side was still winning.
Yep, completely agree with the Harmison comparison, getting a similar impression myself

He'll have a job being dropped for the Third Test when he didn't play the Second.
I saw you had the last post in the thread, then I read the post about Panesar being dropped and I just knew exactly what your post would be saying :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pretty likely someone else might've said it TBF. But yeah, I do like to make the obvious points sometimes.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Wow... I'm not near Birmingham or anything, but the rainstorm we're having here at the moment is incredible.

Woodster

International Captain
The outfield looks seriously wet, unsurprising I know, but I wonder even if we don't have too much more, what the chances are of starting on time tomorrow. It seems there are a few showers around tomorrow, but may miss Edgbaston, who knows. I'm keeping my fingers crossed as I have a date with the box all day tomorrow!!

dan_andersonkro

Cricket Spectator
I've got tickets for tomorrow, but it doesn't look and sound too promising.

Rouse, the head groundsman, said no chance of play before lunch and 20% chance of play after that, apparently.

I'd much prefer to see no cricket and get my £75 back than a rain interrupted 20 overs.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'd be very surprised if there were less than 20 overs on any of the days tbh

Really pumped for this Test. Am on my hols from work for 2 weeks now. Just kicking back watching the SA-Eng series from 04-05. Would have a beer but the kids are asleep upstairs and I have a filthy hangover.

dan_andersonkro

Cricket Spectator
They're talking about the whole of tomorrow being 'washed out' because of the state of the outfield.

There's no more rain forecast for tonight, as far as I know, and they'll be working on it over night, so you'd hope it shouldn't be too bad tomorrow.

Woodster

International Captain
Think Rouse will play down any notion of getting an on time start as he would not want to put any undue pressure on himself or his groundstaff, therefore it's much easier to suggest very little play will take place. If there is little cricket played, that was as he expected and he can do nothing about the weather, and if they get in a fair amount, he will receive numerous plaudits for his efforts.

I'm sure all groundsman tend to err on the side of caution to alleviate unnecessary criticism of their pitches should the game not get underway as expected, especially with such competition to host Test matches and the financial gains that comes as a consequence.

dan_andersonkro

Cricket Spectator
Agreed, he seemed very pessimistic about the state of the wicket earlier this week, but Ponting said yesterday that he was surprised at how dry it was.