• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official Third Test at Edgbaston

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
So, does anyone actually expect any team changes? (Apart from Bell for KP, obv). I have a feeling not, unless Clark comes in for Siddle. Somehow though, I don't even think that's going to happen.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So, does anyone actually expect any team changes? (Apart from Bell for KP, obv). I have a feeling not, unless Clark comes in for Siddle. Somehow though, I don't even think that's going to happen.
Can see Harmison replacing Onions TBH, though it's not something I think has a strong possibility, just a definitely-existant one. Hope Clark plays for Aus TBH, and almost hope McDonald does as well now.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Can see Harmison replacing Onions TBH, though it's not something I think has a strong possibility, just a definitely-existant one. Hope Clark plays for Aus TBH, and almost hope McDonald does as well now.
I wonder if we might leave Harmison right now, I can see him coming in for the fourth test assuming Flintoff doesn't make it.

I hope Clark doesn't play, he's far too good! Excellent record against us, experienced in English conditions...

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If it makes you feel better here's what you're going to miss.

Wow, another day in paradise eh?

I've often wondered the following, so can someone enlighten me please?

1. Why do English cricket grounds hold so few spectators given your population?
2. Why are so many of them postage stamp-sized playing fields?

These aren't (for once) sledges, I'm genuinely interested in why the capacities of the grounds weren't enlarged years and years ago.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well the ECB can (indirectly) extort plenty of money from 20-25 thousand attendees, I think if the grounds expanded beyond that they'd have to be much cheaper tickets to still sell out - that's assuming it was a series that had a big pull in the first place. The cost of building and extensions in this country is also high and you wouldn't get planning permission at a lot of the grounds anyway. Also the government and council in the past haven't been that inclined to back expansions financially - only in recent years have they really funded sport, whilst the ECB couldn't really give a **** about the indirect benefits of a 30-40 thousand sellout because they're all about money money money.

Last edited:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Wow, another day in paradise eh?

I've often wondered the following, so can someone enlighten me please?

1. Why do English cricket grounds hold so few spectators given your population?
2. Why are so many of them postage stamp-sized playing fields?

These aren't (for once) sledges, I'm genuinely interested in why the capacities of the grounds weren't enlarged years and years ago.
We don't have AFL to play on them in the winter, one test/one odi a year (and not guaranteed that these days) is not sufficient to warrant massive grounds. Expansion of the gabba, scg has been at least in part driven by AFL. IIRC the gabba expansion was only finalised when the AFL agreed to concessions about games there (there was a bit of a hoohaa over where the GCXVII were going to play their games IIRC)

Because of the built up surroundings of most of the grounds, what expansion there has been has often been at the expense of the playing areas (the new stand at the oval is an example of this, the oval used to be pretty large playing area wise but a lot was lost for the new stand)

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
My Old Dart spies can confirm that Johnson will play.

Read about it here.

North dropped, Ronny in.

Last edited:

Andre

International Regular
My Old Dart spies can confirm that Johnson will play.

Read about it here.

North dropped, Ronny in.
I must admit I like this XI - Ronnie will be a great addition, he's becoming a more and more valuable cricketer by the day.

Gotta wonder if Stuart Clark's Test career might be over?

Top_Cat

Absolutely love that they've decided to back him. Let's see if he repays the faith.

howardj

International Coach
I think it's madness, and the Aussies being contrary for the sake of it.

I fear Buchanan has taken the reigns back.

inbox24

International Debutant
Dropping North is a good thing, but why replace him with the madness of McDonald?. Sure he's in 'good form' but you can't read too much into a performance against a 10th XI English county side. Additionally Shane Watson outperformed him and yet no go? This gets more and more bizarre by the day. I'm sure he'll do alright but not the best we can come up with.

howardj

International Coach
It's just a blatant case of thinking too hard, and outsmarting yourself.

For mine, just stick 9 times out of 10 to what is obvious.

He's bowled rubbish so far in the Tests; he didn't regain any form in the tour game, his confidence is way down, and we're 0-1 down in the series.

= dropping

It's that same, let's not do what's obvious contrariness, that cost us so dearly in 2005.

Top_Cat

He's bowled rubbish so far in the Tests; he didn't regain any form in the tour game, his confidence is way down, and we're 0-1 down in the series.

= dropping

It's that same, let's not do what's obvious contrariness, that cost us so dearly in 2005.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT

= dropping

Agree 100%. Not learning from our mistakes in 2005 = 2005 repeating itself.

Andre

International Regular
Dropping North is a good thing, but why replace him with the madness of McDonald?. Sure he's in 'good form' but you can't read too much into a performance against a 10th XI English county side. Additionally Shane Watson outperformed him and yet no go? This gets more and more bizarre by the day. I'm sure he'll do alright but not the best we can come up with.
I thought you said we can't read too much into the tour match performance, but you claim that Watson outperformed him and should have got a go? Haha, interesting logic.

Anyway, McDonald plays because a) we need a bowling all-rounder more than a half-baked Watson, who would no doubt break down and b) Clark isn't playing, who was Watson's best chance of playing, balance wise.

Haddin good enough to bat 6, and McDonald at 7 and Johnson at 8 is a stronger 6 - 7 - 8 than Prior/Flintoff/Broad IMO.