• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official Third Test at Edgbaston

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
One day he's saying green seamer, next he's saying bowlers' graveyard. Can just see it being "none of the above", and turning-out the first Edgbaston turner since 2005. If so, hope it has some pace and bounce.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
One day he's saying green seamer, next he's saying bowlers' graveyard. Can just see it being "none of the above", and turning-out the first Edgbaston turner since 2005. If so, hope it has some pace and bounce.
Clealy, as I intimated earlier, the man is **** stirring.

Never trust what a curator is telling you unless his name is Les Burdett or they're Indian (those are always so brutally honest).

tooextracool

International Coach
I'd say England are better on a flat deck with heavy cloud cover, and on a fast turner. Australia are better on flat pitches with plenty of sunshine or on green seamers.

No matter though, they're pretty close and it all comes down solely to who bowls better on the day.
Don't you think that you are generalizing a little bit here?

Sure Australia bowled better than England at Cardiff which was a slow, dead track with no swing on offer, but that was one test. Similarly, just because England bowled well at Lords in conditions that were conducive for swing bowling, doesnt mean that they have the better bowling attack in said conditions. Lets just remember how poor Australia were not very long ago when they played in India, on pitches, not too dissimilar to the one at Cardiff.

I think England has the better bowling attack in all conditions. At Cardiff, Swann underperformed considerably and Panesar shouldn't have been on the park. That being said, Australia has the better batting side. So far this series, at Cardiff, England's bowlers underperformed while at Lords Australia's batters underperformed. I do agree with you that Australia would be favorites on a flat deck, but thats not because I think Australia will bowl better, I think Australia will bat better than England and that will give them a significant advantage particularly if they bat first. Much like in the Ashes in 2005, it wouldnt be playing to their strengths if the groundsmen are to produce dead flat batting tracks for the remainder of the series.

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
Hi peoples,
For anyone that is interested, I'm heading to Uluru in Central Aust tommorrow to work (as I can't find anything here in civilization). Hopefully it doesn't piss me off so much that I return in a weeks time.
Anyways, I'm not sure what sort of internet access I will have there so I figure I won't be posting for some time.
Although I have not been a prolific poster in my few months on the forum, I have enjoyed reading the opinions of most, and sharing my thaughts. This is by far the best forum I've ever encountered for any topic. Hope to post again soon.

cheers

:thumbup1:

Burgey

Hi peoples,
For anyone that is interested, I'm heading to Uluru in Central Aust tommorrow to work (as I can't find anything here in civilization). Hopefully it doesn't piss me off so much that I return in a weeks time.
Anyways, I'm not sure what sort of internet access I will have there so I figure I won't be posting for some time.
Although I have not been a prolific poster in my few months on the forum, I have enjoyed reading the opinions of most, and sharing my thaughts. This is by far the best forum I've ever encountered for any topic. Hope to post again soon.

cheers

"A dingo's got my Trumper's Ghost"

Have fun mate. What are you going to be doing at Uluru?

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
Actually haven't nailed a job yet. I've got scouts on the ground there and there are available jobs. I'm going with my brother who works there already and who's returning from holidays (kinda ironic going from Uluru to Ballarat for Holidays).
I'd prefer barwork or gardening, but I'll take what they offer and hopefully transfer to something better soon after. If all goes well I could transfer to somewhere else within the company in 6 months (maybe whitsundays).

cheers

edit: And go you Aussies! Hope for more good cricket from these evenly matched sides, with Australia to prevail.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
Clealy, as I intimated earlier, the man is **** stirring.

Never trust what a curator is telling you unless his name is Les Burdett or they're Indian (those are always so brutally honest).
Yeah, what's wrong with this man, fair enough he duped the Aussies last time around, but they aren't stupid enough to fall for this sort of bull**** all over again, and its pretty silly thinking on his part if he thinks he can do something similar again this time around.

I agree with Richard, the pitch is very unlikely to be like anything he is saying, on the contrary I guess it would be a pitch pretty similar to the one we had in 2005.

Burgey

Sorely annoyed I have a dinner tomorrow night which means I'll miss the first and probably second sessions.

vicky

School Boy/Girl Captain
Sorely annoyed I have a dinner tomorrow night which means I'll miss the first and probably second sessions.
Had one that was supposed to start at 8...

due to inability to gte a table the booking has been moved to 5:30 and we have to be out of there by 7:30.... at worst it means watching it in a pub while having post prandial drinks :D

Burgey

I'm always terribly rude at these things and tend to sit there with my headphones in listening to the cricket. Suspect I'll be doing the same tomorrow night.

vicky

School Boy/Girl Captain
I'm always terribly rude at these things and tend to sit there with my headphones in listening to the cricket. Suspect I'll be doing the same tomorrow night.
That's just awful and you are a terrible person...:ph34r:

tbh if I had the headphones they'd be on too no doubt...

Could just do what I do... get cricinfo on the mobile and follow the ball by ball while reading an "urgent work email"...

pasag

RTDAS
Hi peoples,

cheers

Good luck with the move mate.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No doubts at all that this attack is lesser with a greentop than many of the recent and not-so-recent past. However, pretty much any seam bowler will prefer green to brown.
By the look of him I'm pretty sure Broad prefers brown.

Uppercut

Don't you think that you are generalizing a little bit here?

Sure Australia bowled better than England at Cardiff which was a slow, dead track with no swing on offer, but that was one test. Similarly, just because England bowled well at Lords in conditions that were conducive for swing bowling, doesnt mean that they have the better bowling attack in said conditions. Lets just remember how poor Australia were not very long ago when they played in India, on pitches, not too dissimilar to the one at Cardiff.

I think England has the better bowling attack in all conditions. At Cardiff, Swann underperformed considerably and Panesar shouldn't have been on the park. That being said, Australia has the better batting side. So far this series, at Cardiff, England's bowlers underperformed while at Lords Australia's batters underperformed. I do agree with you that Australia would be favorites on a flat deck, but thats not because I think Australia will bowl better, I think Australia will bat better than England and that will give them a significant advantage particularly if they bat first. Much like in the Ashes in 2005, it wouldnt be playing to their strengths if the groundsmen are to produce dead flat batting tracks for the remainder of the series.
I'm not generalising on the back of one game, England have notorious difficulty bowling on flat decks. In the fifteen matches since South Africa arrived last summer, they've taken 20 wickets four times- once in the dead rubber at the Oval, twice in the home "series" against the West Indies, and at Lord's last week.

For comparison's sake, it's worth looking at how Australia bowled when they were in the West Indies last year, a series they won 2-0.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Hi peoples,

cheers

Good luck with it all T_G - hope you find your way back in here from time to time. :)