• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official Third Test at Edgbaston

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm sure it has worked, plenty of times? Not sure about that. It is a mindset that has failed more than it's succeeded. Yes if you get yourself into a position where you can start thinking about holding on for a draw as the Test progresses, it may work, but you certainly do not set out with that in mind.
I think it's most people's instinctive prejudice against playing negatively that begats them to believe said attitude fails more often than succeeds. Same way Australians' instinctive prejudice against the all-seam attacks of West Indies lead them to believe - wrongly - that West Indian batsmen were all poor players of spin in the all-seam days, and that eventually Australia's spinners brought them down.

In reality it has a good chance of succeeding if you play it right, and it has a good chance of failing if you play it wrong, same as any other gameplan. There are times to play it and times not to. The final Test of a series where you're leading 1-0 would be the right time. The Third Test of a five-match series, regardless of the scoreline, is the wrong time.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Equally, he'd be foolish to concentrate more on doing the opposite of what Rouse suggests than assessing the conditions on their own merit.

Either way think the most important thing to come out of that piece SOC posted was the assertion that England won't play Swann and MSP... let's hope so.
The most disconcerting thing was it implied they hadn't decided which one to play :blink:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Think Rouse is unfairly copping it here. What he says about spinners taking their wickets at Edgbaston for 60-ish apiece is, if true (CBA to check), easily verifiable.

Imagine Messers North & Johnson considered his words sage indeed too.
If he's 2-3 days behind schedule due to the weather he should be spending more time on the wicket and less time in the papers. Don't think Australia needs his advice on whether or not to pick Hauritz. Although, in saying that, maybe they do!

EDIT: Although I'm almost certain Rouse was approached to comment rather than the other way around. Seems like he relishes his role as a potential spanner in the works a little too much.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If he's 2-3 days behind schedule due to the weather he should be spending more time on the wicket and less time in the papers.
Preparing a deck doesn't take 24 hours a day TBH. Anyone can spare 10 minutes for a quick chat to one reporter at some point.
EDIT: Although I'm almost certain Rouse was approached to comment rather than the other way around. Seems like he relishes his role as a potential spanner in the works a little too much.
Don't really think so TBH. If anyone fancies giving being a spanner in the works a go, it's their right. If the person\team\other whose works they're attempting to throw a spanner in is single-minded enough they'll manage to grab hold of said spanner thus refusing it access to their works.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Hypothetical question.

The pitch is greener than green, the sky is overcast. Ponting wins the toss. Does he bowl, or are the scars of four years ago too much to bear?

I'm not trolling, I genuinely wonder whether Ponting would even dream of bowling first here after last time.

Son Of Coco

Preparing a deck doesn't take 24 hours a day TBH. Anyone can spare 10 minutes for a quick chat to one reporter at some point.

Don't really think so TBH. If anyone fancies giving being a spanner in the works a go, it's their right. If the person\team\other whose works they're attempting to throw a spanner in is single-minded enough they'll manage to grab hold of said spanner thus refusing it access to their works.
It doesn't read like he hates it Richard. I may have missed something, but I can't recall too many curators handing out selection advice to the visiting team before.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hypothetical question.

The pitch is greener than green, the sky is overcast. Ponting wins the toss. Does he bowl, or are the scars of four years ago too much to bear?

I'm not trolling, I genuinely wonder whether Ponting would even dream of bowling first here after last time.
Treat each case on its own merits, do not allow baggage from the past to impede. It's not like Edgbaston is a ground where fielding first has backfired on numerous occasions, like The 'Gabba.

I reckon Ponting is strong enough to do that. Whether the pitch is as green as seems to be being predicted, the weather as dank, and the toss is won by him, remains to be seen.

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

Reckon he's tops. Best caller of the game in the country.
I listened to him for hours on end while at work with no TV available and have heard him come out with a lot of rubbish over the years. It's possible he's improved though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It doesn't read like he hates it Richard. I may have missed something, but I can't recall too many curators handing out selection advice to the visiting team before.
Happens all the time ITBT, though perhaps not in Australia - can't say I've ever noticed it happening there. Elsewhere it's pretty accepted practice - sometimes subtle, sometimes blunt.

I guess it's a bit like the idea of deliberately preparing a certain type of deck - seen as wrong in Australia, accepted as part of home advantage elsewhere.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
BTW, weather forecast suggests that there will be play on most days, just with regular interruptions. If that's the case, then hopefully the ball will swing, swing, swing, Jimmeh to get to MOTM, Australia lose by an innings and 427 runs

Scaly piscine

BTW, weather forecast suggests that there will be play on most days, just with regular interruptions. If that's the case, then hopefully the ball will swing, swing, swing, Jimmeh to get to MOTM, Australia lose by an innings and 427 runs
Broad to bowl 40-50 overs taking 2-180 when Aussies finally hit a couple of short balls to a fielder. Onions to bowl 10.