• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

howardj

International Coach
Can't blame Bucks.

It's becoming a bit protracted though.

You'd think he was the greatest coach ever to walk the earth, such has been the circus.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Still has a meeting with Richmond next week.

But if he goes to Collingwood as an assistant, imagine how much more the Pies fans will love him for choosing an assistant job there over a senior role elsewhere.

howardj

International Coach
I'd be spewing if I was Malthouse - he hasn't been shown much respect.

He's there for the taking if the Pies lose their first few next year, and he's sharing the same box with Bucks.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member

He's there for the taking if the Pies lose their first few next year, and he's sharing the same box with Bucks.
Pretty wrapped if he does stay with us. That said, kinda nervous that it might backfire if Nath and Mick can't work together well. That said, the quality of the people involved in Mick, Nath, and Eddie gives me some optimism that they can work together sensibly.

I was cold on Mick at the start of the year, but the guy has definitely delivered this year already IMO. Hope they re-sign him today as senior coach for another two years.

Maybe get Bucks involved as development coach with an active match day role as well. Alan Richardson was outstanding in this regard for us, and I don't think it's coincidence that the Dons kids are looking so much better since he went over there.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Well done to Simpson as well. I thought Garry Lyons got it pretty right last night on FC - low key, no fuss, but absolutely full of class.

Reckon he'd be a great prospect as an assistant somewhere. Him and Longmire for North sounds good.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member

If Richmond had any brains they'd throw the kitchen sink at Mick.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Geez, Eddie's got his Kirribilli agreement. Couldn't have worked out better for him. Don't know if it's the best thing for Malthouse or Buckley. You'd think that Bucks would have benefitted from a look-see inside another club.

Craig

World Traveller
I see that Brisbane's Albert Proud has been convicted for the glassing attack on two women in Surfers Paradise. He was ordered to serve a three-month intensive correctional order, 100 hours community service and two years probation.

He was also ordered to pay a total of $8000 in compensation to his two victims. I'm surprised he wasn't made to go to anger management, unless he is already doing it (or has done it).

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Stoked. My love for Bucks can best be liked to Corrin's love for Geraint Jones, sorry Jimmy Anderson, and whoever the next English flash in the pan is - except Nathan merits it.

There are risks in any appointment - I think Buckley is an excellent coaching prospect so he deserves a shot as an assistant, and Malthouse will be a great mentor to develop him into a senior coach. Realistically Malthouse is unlikely to remain at the top of his game for more than a couple more years, and two more years sounds right - he's a great coach who has produced outstanding results but he'll be 57 by the time this two years is up.

Keeping Mick and Nathan as resources for the club for the next five years is a great result for the club. It could potentially blow up, but so can any relationship. I have faith in McGuire, Malthouse and Buckley to make it work. It's all been publicly announced so there shouldn't be as much speculation as if he'd simply been made assistant without that announcement.

Really think this can work to deliver us a smooth transition from one great coach to another good prospect who will by then have a great coaching CV.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If Richmond had any brains they'd throw the kitchen sink at Mick.
Realistically Malthouse is unlikely to remain at the top of his game for more than a couple more years, and two more years sounds right - he's a great coach who has produced outstanding results but he'll be 57 by the time this two years is up.
Doesn't that directly conflict?

Richmond aren't looking for a 2-year coach.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Two to three years, then. My point is you probably wouldn't want to offer a new contract to a 57 year old.

Richmond could have done much worse than getting Mick and having him mentor guys like Campbell or Rawlings. This approach of "we want a looong term coach" smacks a bit of a single girl who's desperate to find a husband NOW! You guys have just been burnt by going for an ultra-long term commitment.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Two to three years, then. My point is you probably wouldn't want to offer a new contract to a 57 year old.

Richmond could have done much worse than getting Mick and having him mentor guys like Campbell or Rawlings. This approach of "we want a looong term coach" smacks a bit of a single girl who's desperate to find a husband NOW! You guys have just been burnt by going for an ultra-long term commitment.
Wallace failing doesn't mean the theory was wrong though. Malthouse got a long-term deal with Collingwood when he arrived.

None the less, whether its Rawlings, Hardwick or whomever, we won't be handing out another 5 year deal.

But if Richmond were going to get Mick (which a few weeks ago I was 100% for, and even now would have not necessarily been upset if he got it), I don't see how him being there for 2 years and then possibly going would have been the best option.

He's an excellent coach, but like Sheedy, he's in no position to rebuild a list. He would have been a great mentor for Rawlings and Campbell, and done wonders for membership, but considering we'll likely wipe out a third of our list or something similar, better have a young guy go all the way with these kids.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
What are people's thoughts on Luke Ball possibly missing another week from St Kilda's team?

Obviously they don't look like they need him now, and criticisms of Ball are fair as he hasn't lived up to his draft pick, but that is almost entirely due to his horror run of injuries.

I can't imagine that Ball would still be out of the Saints team in September, and if he is, surely clubs will be licking their lips ready to take him?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Talk is of how the Swans want him. Think that he's a bit sameish though, as Kirk and Bolton. But he'd definitely be picked up, no doubt about that. The quality of the person dictates that, I reckon.

Sad to see him in the state that he's in. Can't kick over 40m, and isn't quick, when he used to be a penetrating kick and was secondary school sprinting champion over 100m and 400m.

Status
Not open for further replies.