• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official Third Test at Edgbaston

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I've got the rest of the series off now. Had the 3rd and 5th booked off ages ago (as I generally need to give a fair bit of notice for my hols) but then I was looking at the fixtures and the holiday tracker in work last week and I realised that day one of Headingley was while I was still off. It would have meant by first two days back in work after a week and a half off being days 4 & 5 of a Test...pretty ridiculous as I clearly wouldn't get back into the groove. So I politely requested a two day extension of my holiday...twas granted, means I'm back in for six days before taking a holiday for the 5th test. Working something like 10 days in August in total, might request another cheeky one for the end of series parade tbh

howardj

International Coach
Firstly, Jim Maxwell is an idiot! The guy wouldnt know a decent cricketer if he walked up to him and smacked him in the mouth

Watto can bat and if all we are asking of him is to bowl a couple of decent overs here and there, then he's your man

Forget him bowling 20 overs a day - they havent asked North to do that!

There'll come a time when he averages 45 with the bat, takes a couple of good wickets and fields well and there is no time like the present!
This

Maxwell doesn't rate you unless you're a Bluebagger.

howardj

International Coach
Has to be

Hughes
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Watson
Haddin
Hauritz
Clark
Siddle
Hilfenhorsey

Would even cop Macca at six.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Not looked at the last one yet but from the dates i think ill be okay...have not booked the first day of Headingly off yet but I will do (though i hate having Fridays off because its only a 6 hour day but I still lose a days holiday) and I'm there on the monday and will probs book the last day off its going to be a good day.
Wouldn't bother - we'll be winning it on Day 4.

Where are you sat?

howardj

International Coach
Neilsen:

"We have had the last two years where we have played some pretty good cricket and Mitchell has been at the forefront of all of that," he said.

"There have been a lot of times when batsmen and bowlers have been out of form and we have stuck with them and shown some faith unlike what seems to be the public or the press's point of view."

Off with the fairies.

The new Buchanan?

JBH001

International Regular
Maybe its a cunning ploy? ;)

I second doubts about McDonald coming in for North. The only reason he might play is if they want a no.6/no.7 who can do a decent amount of bowling. Selection of Watto would mean a batsman at 6 who would be expected to do a bit of bowling. Interestingly, if McDonald plays, Johnson may hang on, but If Watto does come in, then Clark may come in for Johnson. This is based on the premise that Ponting needs at least 4 bowlers he is confident in.

I did think that Johnson should stay in the side, and Siddle drop out for Clark. But I am not sure anymore after his performance in the recent tour match. Sure there is the hope that Johnson finds his form (this is bearing in mind that I have never thought him as good as he is hyped to be), but given his nature (what we know of it, and have heard of at any rate) it seems a bit much to ask a player to find his form in a possibly crucial test match of an Ashes series. If anything it would be putting even more pressure on the guy to bowl well - perhaps too much. So maybe it is time Mitch was spelled for a bit.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah I agree. If there are some technical problems he won't work them out in the middle of a match.
Assuming his problems are technical. I know people point to seam position, arm height, etc., but you have both Wasim Akram and Glenn McGrath quoted in the press as saying they reckon the technical problems are pretty simple to fix, especially for a good cricketing student like Johnson. I do wonder how much his home life is affecting him.

This

Watson = Bluebagger. To be fair, he hasn't played a game for them yet...

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Firstly, Jim Maxwell is an idiot! The guy wouldnt know a decent cricketer if he walked up to him and smacked him in the mouth

Watto can bat and if all we are asking of him is to bowl a couple of decent overs here and there, then he's your man

There'll come a time when he averages 45 with the bat, takes a couple of good wickets and fields well and there is no time like the present!
Yeah okay, firstly: calm the **** down, you'd think I just shot your mother.

I didn't say Maxwell didn't rate him or called him rubbish, he said he was looking seriously stiff a far from match fit, which is an entirely true assertion no doubt, seeing as though he's been doing not much more than jogging laps of training grounds for about 2 months.

This

Speed Blitz Blues Official Website

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Haa, damnnnn. What did Maxwell ever say to gain such an impression?

Watto can bat and if all we are asking of him is to bowl a couple of decent overs here and there, then he's your man.

No No. AUS need Watson bowling like how he was bowling in IND. AUS need 20 wickets, clearly 4 bowlers aint working ATM.

North's role is very different. No comparison really.

Since lets be frank, this warm-up giving the quality of opposition really aint much of guide.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Neilsen:

"We have had the last two years where we have played some pretty good cricket and Mitchell has been at the forefront of all of that," he said.

"There have been a lot of times when batsmen and bowlers have been out of form and we have stuck with them and shown some faith unlike what seems to be the public or the press's point of view."

Off with the fairies.

The new Buchanan?
Christtttt, i thought his comment about Siddle & Clark being similar bowlers, thats why they can't play in the team was bad enough. But this is the ULTIMATE dellusion, i cant believe these cats are in charge of picking the AUS team. From now i have no trust in these cats judgement...

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No No. AUS need Watson bowling like how he was bowling in IND. AUS need 20 wickets, clearly 4 bowlers aint working ATM.
Come on. The Aussie bowlers were only 1 wicket off taking all 20 in Cardiff on an absolute road (as compared to England's 6 for almost 700) and, confronted with another road at Lords, after giving up a 196 opening partnership, took the next 9 wickets for just over 200, only the openers passing 50 on first innings. This with a shockingly poor Midge taking the new cherry.

The Aus bowling unit were what prevented England from scoring a single ton at Cardiff in perfect batting conditions and stopped the same line-up from getting 600+ on the Lords pitch.

The biggest reason for the Lords loss was the Aus batters in the first dig. Just over 200 with only one bloke getting past 50 in response to 450 against bowlers who were no more than solid was a pretty awful batting display and they were playing catch-up from that point onwards. Yes, the Aussie bowlers let England get away from them a bit in the second dig but it'd be bloody tough to back up having bowled your guts out to keep your side in the match, watch as the batsmen lasted 60 overs and then less than a day later, you're back out there bowling again with the oppo starting at 0/200+ and your team staring down the barrel on a pitch still playing beautifully.

Blame the batters for the loss, the bowlers have done their job (Midge Johnson aside).

EDIT: Post total is 11 111; got both feet off the ground as we speak.

Last edited:

Julian87

State Captain
I'd pick Watson over McDonald. I see Watson (especially now) very much a batting all rounder, but still someone who can bowl 10 overs in a day, that's two decent spells. If Clark comes in for Johnson, that is all that Ponting should need from a medium pacer.

I'd be all for McDonald coming in if we were playing Krejza or another attacking spinner, but McDonald and Hauritz in the one 5 man bowling line up is a bit defensive IMO, especially when the quicks aren't taking a lot of wickets.

I'd take Watson's batting and potential wicket taking in limited overs over McDonald who will struggle at 7 and bowl wobblers.

If Clark came in for Siddle, I'd consider McDonald though because

6 Haddin
7 McDonald
8 Johnson
9 Hauritz

is still strong enough.

Last edited:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Come on. The Aussie bowlers were only 1 wicket off taking all 20 in Cardiff on an absolute road (as compared to England's 6 for almost 700) and, confronted with another road at Lords, after giving up a 196 opening partnership, took the next 9 wickets for just over 200, only the openers passing 50 on first innings. This with a shockingly poor Midge taking the new cherry.

The Aus bowling unit were what prevented England from scoring a single ton at Cardiff in perfect batting conditions and stopped the same line-up from getting 600+ on the Lords pitch.

The biggest reason for the Lords loss was the Aus batters in the first dig. Just over 200 with only one bloke getting past 50 in response to 450 against bowlers who were no more than solid was a pretty awful batting display and they were playing catch-up from that point onwards. Yes, the Aussie bowlers let England get away from them a bit in the second dig but it'd be bloody tough to back up having bowled your guts out to keep your side in the match, watch as the batsmen lasted 60 overs and then less than a day later, you're back out there bowling again with the oppo starting at 0/200+ and your team staring down the barrel on a pitch still playing beautifully.

Blame the batters for the loss, the bowlers have done their job (Midge Johnson aside).

EDIT: Post total is 11 111; got both feet off the ground as we speak.
This, so much.