• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official Third Test at Edgbaston

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Indeed a quite underlooked aspect.

I would never claim that the Aussue bowling attack was spot on, but I felt too that it was the Aussie first innngs that decided the test. England's 425 was not too far above par, I reckon. It seemed to be, because of the massive first wicket stand. But all together, 425 was ok. The Aussie reply of 215 was the reason the momentum was firmly put into Engand's camp. Hughes for 4, Ponting for 2, Clarke for 1, North for 0, Johnson for 4....
5 players dismissed hooking/pulling

An absolutely appalling performance

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Indeed a quite underlooked aspect.

I would never claim that the Aussue bowling attack was spot on, but I felt too that it was the Aussie first innngs that decided the test. England's 425 was not too far above par, I reckon. It seemed to be, because of the massive first wicket stand. But all together, 425 was ok. The Aussie reply of 215 was the reason the momentum was firmly put into Engand's camp. Hughes for 4, Ponting for 2, Clarke for 1, North for 0, Johnson for 4....
England's first-innings was well below-par - there's no excuse for making less than 600 after an opening partnership of the best part of 200, especially with a misfiring Johnson being one of just three frontline bowlers.

Australia were simply diabolical. Only Ponting of their players with batting ability of note was genuinely got out. The rest all threw their wickets, against bowling which was decent but hardly outstanding.

pup11

International Coach
The way things are shaping up, this would most probably be the side Australia decide to play with in the Edgbaston test

1.Hughes
2.Katich
3.Ponting*
4.Hussey
5.Clarke
6.Watson
7.Haddin+
8.Johnson
9.Hauritz
10.Clark
11.Hilfenhaus

It would be harsh on Siddle to be dropped, but tbh Siddle has also been pretty erratic at times, and Australia just can't afford Siddle and Johnson both misfiring in the 3rd test, Clark has to play, and most probably would play now, on the back of his performance in the tour game.

Pretty sure Watto too would play ahead of North, he has performed with both bat and bowl in the tour game, and his all-round abilities too would give him an edge over others when it comes to selecting the final XI.

Son Of Coco

How much do we lose in the bowling? The few overs we got from North? I'm confident he'll come good because that's just the type of bowler he is but have offered that backup plan if he doesn't. The beauty of him being the fifth bowler means we have that luxury. You want an inidication that he'll come good? Look at his ENTIRE career where he's gone from strength to strength and every time he has a setback he works on himself untill he gets it right. He's just that type of cricketer. But as I said, it's not my team necessarily.
So we wait until he gets himself right and hope it's not by the fourth or fifth test?

The best back-up plan is not to be carrying anyone in my opinion.

Son Of Coco

Giles' constant erroneous selection was based far more on the "you must have variety" stuff than his batting, though it did play some part.
In Australia I thought Monty would have provided similar variety and Giles was picked because he could bat better. Could be wrong though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In Australia I thought Monty would have provided similar variety and Giles was picked because he could bat better. Could be wrong though.
In those last couple of Tests in 2006/07, yes. However, for the vast majority of his career (2000/01-2005/06) Giles was the best or equal-best spinner available, and was picked again and again ahead of another seamer purely because according to some people "you must have variety". The fact he was a better batsman than several of the seamers was a relatively minor consideration.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
C'mon Watto C'mon, C'mon.

C'mon Watto C'moooooon.

I love Watto - even his 'maligners' deep down love him.

pup11

International Coach
England's first-innings was well below-par - there's no excuse for making less than 600 after an opening partnership of the best part of 200, especially with a misfiring Johnson being one of just three frontline bowlers.

Australia were simply diabolical. Only Ponting of their players with batting ability of note was genuinely got out. The rest all threw their wickets, against bowling which was decent but hardly outstanding.
Lets be honest here, England's batting order has looked pretty fragile at best of times in this series, and they have been basically riding on the efforts of Cook and Strauss, but the English middle order at Cardiff and again at Lord's allowed Australia to come back into the game on Day 1 of both the tests, where they could have easily batted us out of both those games.

So if Australian bowlers could make early in-roads into the English batting line-up, they could find themesleves well on top in the rest of the series.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Absolutely - and that's the main reason why England fans find themselves pleased and uneasy at our current lead.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Don't know if this has been discussed elsewhere (The KP thread perhaps, which I haven't checked yet) but for those that don't know, Bell is confirmed in for Pietersen and will bat at 4. I hope he performs as he did last time he returned from being dropped :unsure:

We've picked a 13-man squad again, with the attack from last time, and Harmison & Panesar in the squad. Onions struggled with injury last week so I don't think we got to see the best of him, so I'm tipping us to pick Harmison. He'll probably have a good game tbh, it's usually the 2nd or 3rd game where he goes into decline...:ph34r:

I can't see any reason to pick Panesar, unless it's for his rearguard batting :D

edit - all the noises suggest that Freddie plays as well, not so much "we'll monitor him" but "he'll be fine"...good news...

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
Don't know if this has been discussed elsewhere (The KP thread perhaps, which I haven't checked yet) but for those that don't know, Bell is confirmed in for Pietersen and will bat at 4. I hope he performs as he did last time he returned from being dropped :unsure:

We've picked a 13-man squad again, with the attack from last time, and Harmison & Panesar in the squad. Onions struggled with injury last week so I don't think we got to see the best of him, so I'm tipping us to pick Harmison. He'll probably have a good game tbh, it's usually the 2nd or 3rd game where he goes into decline...:ph34r:

I can't see any reason to pick Panesar, unless it's for his rearguard batting :D

edit - all the noises suggest that Freddie plays as well, not so much "we'll monitor him" but "he'll be fine"...good news...
I know English fans won't like me saying this, but if Freddie plays in the next test, then he shouldn't be allowed to leave the field for his leisurely breaks, he has done this in the first two tests, and I think Ponting should talk to the umpires about this, if it happens again.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Apparently there's been suggestion since way back that we're going to pick MSP again. Would be plain madness, obviously. Seriously hope we pick Onions again.

Son Of Coco

I know English fans won't like me saying this, but if Freddie plays in the next test, then he shouldn't be allowed to leave the field for his leisurely breaks, he has done this in the first two tests, and I think Ponting should talk to the umpires about this, if it happens again.
Yeah I agree, you're either fit or you aren't. You're not fit with the option of taking breaks during the game.