• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lords

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Having said that...when you're not behind the ball and move your back foot away from it while barely getting across with the front foot, you deserve to be out.
All the complaints have rather glossed over this for me - technically, Hughes' attempt to play that shot was an absolute shocker, particularly that back leg.

Pigeon

Banned
You damage your prospects of an informed decision by taking in faulty information like a camera picture of an attempted catch.

The view of the on-field Umpire is better than that of the camera which is miles away from the field.
**** me. Umpires are human and they make mistakes. Don't they? Rudi & Doctrove were both wrong in not referring that to the TV umpire deadset.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Should or shouldn't (and I agree they shouldn't), as things currently stand they do, and that's going to be the case until we get a decent technological system.

So therefore, for the purposes of the batsman, a let-off\saw-off is exactly the same whether it comes from Umpire or fielder.
I disagree, one relies on the fielding teams skill, the other shouldn't exist at all.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure I still feel this way after the Hughes dismissal, but I was thinking earlier while I was watching the game that's difficult for me to naturally feel that Australia are out of any game of cricket. I guess it's from years of Australia winning all the time, but even though I recognise that chasing 520 is highly unlikely, I still felt like it was a reasonable chance of actually happening at the start of the day's play. If England were in the same situation I'd be supremely confident of an Australian win.

I wonder if the Australian team have the same self-belief.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Thats bull, they don't ignore what the Umpire thinks on the matter and they review it, to expect the umpire is more correct than the third umpire with all the benefits of the umpires opinion and multiple camera replays is ludicrous.
You clearly didn't watch the C4 piece a few years ago that Pickup referred to... about 300 posts back now...

Only a camera that is right close-up gives an accurate picture. One that is a long way away gives a less good impression than a set of human eyes on the field.

And yes, very often they do ignore what the on-field Umpire says - the third-Umpire just says "doubt, not out", even though he has a less full view than the on-field Umpire. If they just said "doubt, back to you, if you think it was out give it out" that'd be fair enough.

But as it is I wish the nonsense of referring catches could be outlawed, I hate it and have hated it for any number of years.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
You're a disgrace to your country, abusing your fellow countrymen in an Ashes thread.

BTW, Collingwood are ****ing ****.
:laugh: you serious? Obviously I should stick by any ignorant bogan who pops up here being a tool because: the Ashes are on.

And on the footy, yeah we lost last night, but if we're so **** why are we so far above you on the ladder.

JBH001

International Regular
I think this could be the last time we see Fred in whites tbh. :(
Hope not. He has a week and a half to recover. But it would be nice if he went off the field for a little while, although being in the slips I guess he wont be doing much running. If Freddie does not play after this test, Hughes would be breathing a sigh of relief for the remainder of the series.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I disagree, one relies on the fielding teams skill, the other shouldn't exist at all.
As I say - I don't care about that. Both types of let-off are, for the purposes of the batsman, the same.

If both could be eliminated, cricket would be better. Sadly, one cannot; the other could be but has yet to be and will not be any time in the foreseeable future.

Athlai

Not Terrible
You clearly didn't watch the C4 piece a few years ago that Pickup referred to... about 300 posts back now...

Only a camera that is right close-up gives an accurate picture. One that is a long way away gives a less good impression than a set of human eyes on the field.

And yes, very often they do ignore what the on-field Umpire says - the third-Umpire just says "doubt, not out", even though he has a less full view than the on-field Umpire. If they just said "doubt, back to you, if you think it was out give it out" that'd be fair enough.

But as it is I wish the nonsense of referring catches could be outlawed, I hate it and have hated it for any number of years.
Yes I read that, if there is doubt it shouldn't be out. The Umpire by himself acts on far less than the third Umpire and to expect he will make more correct decisions without the aid of technology is as I said before ludicrous.

JBH001

International Regular
I'd bring Anderson back tbh, no point taking all the pressure off.
Hmmm, good call. Especially with Onions getting a little movement too.

Edit/ Nah, its Broad. Personally, while donning my flame retardent suit, I think Broad will go alright.

Last edited:

.matt

School Boy/Girl Captain
Just a quick read of posts and interesting to see England supporters calling us whingers... Just wondering if you guys thought the Hughes dismisal was out?