• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lords

JF.

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yeah, think you're right.

D'ya reckon the selectors would be crazy enough to bat Watto at 7 and put Haddin up to 6 if they did that? I wouldn't put it past them....
This Chloe Saltau person (f**ked if I know who she is) of The Age has suggested opening with Watto and dropping Hughes. Funny thing is, it could work. Watto can bat. We know that. And if he could at least remain fit enough to bowl a few quality overs here and there.... wtf am I saying? :wacko:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And as for Hussain's ascertions that it'd have been changed with the referral nonsense, well no it wouldn't, because no-balls only get checked once a decision has been referred for something else, so unless a) Katich was going to refer a nick to gully or b) Hughes was concentrating on the crease and told him to refer it.

And haha at his "what's that got to do with you?" :laugh:

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yep, they've been missing them all match
Some cameramen estimate an average of 20 or so no-balls are missed every day of every Test. It really does beggar belief that we've had technological aid to Umpires for 17 years and still no-ball calling, one of the most important things and one of those it'd be easiest to create something to call, still hasn't been taken out of the hands of the standing Umpires.

pup11

International Coach
Thought it pitched outside off angling well away.
That was a cunning plan the English employed for him, Katich often does tend to drive away from his body like that, and unfortunately that time that shot led to his downfall.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Two things:

a) That's not a massive no-ball. It is a no-ball, but not a big one really, there was a small gap between line and boot, but I've seen much bigger distances.

b) Despite what Nasser Hussain is saying, that wouldn't have been reversed under the referral system, because Simon Katich would be ******** to refer a really obvious catch.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Totally irrelevant in my view. You'd expect him to tough it out for a while at least. That was a pretty rank shot.
It's unreasonable to expect an average, middle-of-the-road, decent batsman like Katich to be scoring heaps of runs in consecutive innings'. He was more than due a failure, he averages 50-odd since his return to the team FFS.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm wondering whether what we are witnessing is a group of players who just have no idea of how to dig in and fight it out. Is this the result of so many years of success? Have we bred a generation of players with no fight? Seems even Katich is losing his fighting qualities :@
As opposed to last week when England batted 1st, made 400+ and they scored 670? This time last week everyone was complimenting their application. As always, we wait and see with these things.

WD Rudi. WBC he is.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That was a cunning plan the English employed for him, Katich often does tend to drive away from his body like that, and unfortunately that time that shot led to his downfall.
It was nicely done but in Australia's current predicament you'd think he could put it away this innings. Easier said than done if t comes natural to him I know.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
And as for Hussain's ascertions that it'd have been changed with the referral nonsense, well no it wouldn't, because no-balls only get checked once a decision has been referred for something else, so unless a) Katich was going to refer a nick to gully or b) Ponting was concentrating on the crease and told him to refer it.

And haha at his "what's that got to do with you?" :laugh:
Ponting does have good eyes, but doubt he'd see the bowling crease from the Lords Pavilion.

He got so defensive with that what's that got to do with you line, pretty funny really.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And as for Hussain's ascertions that it'd have been changed with the referral nonsense, well no it wouldn't, because no-balls only get checked once a decision has been referred for something else, so unless a) Katich was going to refer a nick to gully or b) Ponting was concentrating on the crease and told him to refer it.
Despite what Nasser Hussain is saying, that wouldn't have been reversed under the referral system, because Simon Katich would be ******** to refer a really obvious catch.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Everything is going England's way - the weather, the umpiring, Fatty Flintoff hasn't broken down yet, Broad isn't bowling... it's not looking good.

Gorgeous shot from Punter.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ponting does have good eyes, but doubt he'd see the bowling crease from the Lords Pavilion.

He got so defensive with that what's that got to do with you line, pretty funny really.
Sounded very defensive, yeah - presume he wasn't and was just putting it on. And I meant Hughes not Ponting, obv's.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hmmm, Jimmy doesnt seem to be getting any movement.
WoW, the first delivery all game that's bounced unevenly though. Guess it's time for the Graeme Smith treatment that some fools claimed was good bowling from Johnson.