• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lords

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Against the ball turning into him? Yoravvinalaff.

Collingwood's speciality is the loft over mid-on with the spin. Not quite so keen on him trying it against the spin but have still seen him nail it many times.
Its more about how his head tilts when he's trying to go over mid-on, and his eyes aren't level. When he plays straighter, he keeps his head level and is a lot more balanced.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Its more about how his head tilts when he's trying to go over mid-on, and his eyes aren't level. When he plays straighter, he keeps his head level and is a lot more balanced.
Doesn't always happen that way, I can assure you. Maybe it did in the first-innings but as I say, normally when lofting over mid-on Collingwood looks pretty impenetrable.

An all-run four at Lord's. :-O

tooextracool

International Coach
Whilst I am generally of the view of enforcing the follow on, I can understand the reasons for not doing so here given that the sun is out and the pitch and conditions have been unthreatening for batsmen. Id rather England bowl on a deteriorating pitch on the 4th and 5th day than let Australia get back in the game and then have to chase down 150-200 odd in the final innings on a pitch that could well take turn.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Although I said before that we had enough, I've still got bad memories of our defeat in India pre-Xmas. I reckon we should score another 400 just in case :ph34r:

tooextracool

International Coach
Dont think that cutting the ball against the spin of Hauritz is a particularly good idea as Colly just did a few balls ago, particularly when the odd ball bounces unevenly.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Would have to imagine we'd have scored rather quicker in today's second session had Pietersen been in good nick. Think it might be realistic to hope he could've made, say, 70 rather than 46 given the exact same number of deliveries.

Of course had he been in better nick he could easily have nicked one early that he wound-up missing, so it's all roundabouts and swings.

tooextracool

International Coach
Prior might well compete with Clarke for being the best player of spin on either side IMO. Absolutely amazing player of spin with all the shots in his armoury to score against them. Uses his wrists well, is a good sweeper of the ball and plays with soft hands.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
Would have to imagine we'd have scored rather quicker in today's second session had Pietersen been in good nick. Think it might be realistic to hope he could've made, say, 70 rather than 46 given the exact same number of deliveries.

Of course had he been in better nick he could easily have nicked one early that he wound-up missing, so it's all roundabouts and swings.
It is quite strange that Pietersen who was batting in such free-flow in the first innings of this test match and looked in excellent touch in the first innings in Cardiff is suddenly struggling to get the ball off the square to be honest.

tooextracool

International Coach
Think its not exactly the brightest idea to have spin at both ends against 2 of Englands best players of spin. I can understand that Collingwood got out to Clarke last innings, but lets face it, that was for all intents and purposes a complete fluke. Instead, they've let Prior off the hook here.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It is quite strange that Pietersen who was batting in such free-flow in the first innings of this test match and looked in excellent touch in the first innings in Cardiff is suddenly struggling to get the ball off the square to be honest.
Very odd, and very annoying. The quicker we score, the bigger our victory margin is going to be. Had we been on 270 or so by now, we'd be able to set them 600 and could easily win by 300 if if all went well.

Now it's probably going to have to be a bit less than that.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How is it strange when he's clearly injured? Pain-killing injections only get you so far.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Just checkied the scorebook to check on this 'slow' inings from KP. Then I saw that Bopara had a SR in the 20s.

What was he doing? Any reason for the slow pace?