• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lords

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Well, visually it seems that way, yet he bats so much better once the ball is older. Now it's possible that this is simply a case of Strauss being more comparatively vulnerable once set than 99% of batsmen in history, but somehow I don't think that's the case, particularly given it didn't really happen at First Class level. Everyone can see that the guy has problems keeping out the full, swinging ball and this would obviously have less impact against him if he was batting three.

Strauss gets out for less than 50 whilst opening a staggering 73% of the time. Trescothick does so 69% of the time and Cook just 63%. It's just too many failures from someone whose secondary role after the obvious "score as many runs as possible" is protecting the upper middle order from the new ball. Yet, despite this, he averages the most of three as his concentration against the older ball is awesome.
What's Strauss's under-50 percentage since his return to the side at the start of 2008?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Your team is effectively 0-270 with two days and two sessions to go, and that's what you come up with.

Is it the climate that does this to people?
England would be 370 up if they realised anyone >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Broad

Onions should have bowled before him and bowled more overs

91Jmay

International Coach
This is such a poor Australian team. It's a pretty weak England side, but wow. Just a terrible Aussie unit.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Divided pretty much down the middle. In the "poor decision" camp, myself.
Yeah. My concern is Strauss should now have to gamble with the weather at some point in the next 24 hours. If he sets something above 550 and they end up most wickets down but surviving due to rain then he'll look pretty daft. otoh if he sets 450 and they get the runs, which could easily happen on this wicket, he'll look even worse.

JBH001

International Regular
Havent looked through the last few pages, jeez there is a truckload of them.

In case you lot missed it, the ALL BLACKS WON!!! 22 - 16. Didnt think they would, picked Aus to win a close one myself.

Watched the last half hour of the Australian innings while sinking pint x of the night - and as much as I like Broad, he was bowling some utter tripe. Glad Onions came on to finish it off, it was getting painful watching him bowl that horrid short stuff ball after ball.

Glad to see England not enforce the follow on. And hope to see them well up tomorrow, reckon 450 - 500 over 5 - 6 sessions should be enough, and then some.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
What's Strauss's under-50 percentage since his return to the side at the start of 2008?
61%. Fair enough, I suppose.

It kind of goes against everything I usually preach to try and move Strauss to three, but I can't shake the feeling he's really be world class there. Not that he hasn't been world class opening since his recall, though.

Last edited:

sephiroth123

Cricket Spectator
Looks like a shower may arrive just in time for the tea break from the looks of radar and it may help reduce the eveing session a little.

Still looks to me like the idea to turn down the follow on was the right choice, esp given we are scoring at a decent clip right now. Already 270 ahead.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah. My concern is Strauss should now have to gamble with the weather at some point in the next 24 hours. If he sets something above 550 and they end up most wickets down but surviving due to rain then he'll look pretty daft. otoh if he sets 450 and they get the runs, which could easily happen on this wicket, he'll look even worse.
Yeah, fully agree. Said virtually the same thing myself a few pages back.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, visually it seems that way, yet he bats so much better once the ball is older. Now it's possible that this is simply a case of Strauss being more comparatively vulnerable once set than 99% of batsmen in Test history, but somehow I don't think that's the case, particularly given it didn't really happen at First Class level. Everyone can see that the guy has problems keeping out the full, swinging ball and this would obviously have less impact against him if he was batting three.

Strauss gets out for less than 50 whilst opening a staggering 73% of the time. Trescothick does so 69% of the time and Cook just 63%. It's just too many failures from someone whose secondary role after the obvious "score as many runs as possible" is protecting the upper middle order from the new ball. Yet, despite this, he averages the most of three as his concentration against the older ball is awesome.
I'm not saying otherwise to the contention that Strauss is better against old ball than new - he is, far more people than not are. Strauss, however, has a better technique against the new ball than anyone else for a long while, so it'd be madness to waste that. Especially given that he himself much prefers going in first.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
4 more. Just looking at the field, even without doing anything stupid, 4 runs an over is a piece of piss.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
IStrauss, however, has a better technique against the new ball than anyone else for a long while
I suppose what I'm disputing is this, TBH - in terms of said technique's effectiveness, anyway. He looks a lot more 'proper' than Cook and Trescothick but they get through the new ball a lot more often than he does, and he takes advantage of the old ball a lot better often than they do.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Should just get him playing home ODIs and T20s I reckon, he couldn't find that too pressurising surely?

Couldn't really mess about with the Test team for someone who won't go on tour, though.

Trescothick that is, not David Mitchell.
He wouldn't do the Champions Trophy in South Africa, 20/20 WC in the Windies or the 50 over WC in the sub (a place where even in the best state of mind he didn't like touring), so what is point?
Yeah, there's just no point playing home ODIs\Twenty20s only. Not if you're English anyway - the attitude here is that they're preparation for World Cups. Some other countries actually apparently think they're worth something long-term in themselves - I don't.

Home Tests would be one thing, but it ain't going to happen. He's 33 now and that's no age to be making a tentative comeback.