• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lords

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah I'm only going on reports as I didn't see it, but it read as if his first two wickets were possibly a bit lucky. Not taking anything away from him though as he still has 4 and can't have bowled too badly.

Saw a bit of Flintoff and he was impressive again.

Did we bat really poorly to help things along?
Yeah mate. the bating was the opposite of Cardiff. Several of them got out to cross bat shots gone wrong - just horrible batting in the circumstances.

howardj

International Coach
That can happen though - batting is a tough thing.

I back our boys to go very large in the 2nd innings.

Ponting and Katich to ink up on the Lords hounour-board.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If Strauss has the option I think he should enforce the follow on - if we bat again and lose a couple of quick wickets the initiative will swing right back and with Englands middle order we could easily be all out for a total that will give Australia a chance of victory - if they bat again even if they get to 250-2 by the end of today the momentum won't be with them and this series has already shown how important momentum is

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Told everyone we should play McDonald. He's a must for the next test now, especially with Hauritz hurt. We dropped him and haven't won since.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah I'm only going on reports as I didn't see it, but it read as if his first two wickets were possibly a bit lucky. Not taking anything away from him though as he still has 4 and can't have bowled too badly.

Saw a bit of Flintoff and he was impressive again.

Did we bat really poorly to help things along?
First one was lucky in that Hughes gloved a legside ball, but there's no way the second one was lucky

And yeah, Flintoff may have only taken one, but he was as important as Anderson in reducing you to 8 down

JF.

School Boy/Girl Captain
That can happen though - batting is a tough thing.
Poor excuse. The situation demanded disciplined batting: leaving when possible, playing straight when the ball was on the stumps, and putting the bad ball away. From all reports, and from the replays I've seen, that isn't what happened.

As I've said in another forum - have we forgotten how to play hard test cricket?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Having had a think about it, and having seen the beautiful blue sky this morning, and being reminded about last year, I think we are most likely to bat again. And I'd be okay with that.

Hopefully can get them out for a 200 lead, and the best scenario has us going at ~100 per session until just before lunch tomorrow would give them over 500 with 5 sessions plus a few overs before lunch, under the pressure of being the first Aussie side to lose here in 75 years. I like the sound of that, if they can survive that kudos to them, they deserve the draw.
Yeah I like the sound of that too.

I'm still in two minds about whether to enforce the f/o if we have the choice and if we lead by more than say 240 (much less than that and I'd be thinking probably bat again). As you've said, the weather looks ok ATM but I imagine it'll be changeable all day, ie good bowling conditions and the potential for lost time.

So I'm sitting on the fence this time.

stephen

I don't see how England can not enforce the follow on given the choice. They will have the best of the conditions and Australia don't have a front line spinner so will find bowling in the fourth innings harder (if they make it that far). Really don't see any other option to be brutally honest.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Any news on hauritz? Thinking that that may effect whether we enforce the follow-on or not...if he's likely to be okay to bowl tomorrow then it would make sense for us to bat today...

Son Of Coco

First one was lucky in that Hughes gloved a legside ball, but there's no way the second one was lucky

And yeah, Flintoff may have only taken one, but he was as important as Anderson in reducing you to 8 down
Initially Cricinfo said Ponting didn't hit it, but should have been given out LBW anyway if he missed it so...I guess that's not really luck on Anderson's behalf you're right. Would have had a wicket either way. :happy:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Any news on hauritz? Thinking that that may effect whether we enforce the follow-on or not...if he's likely to be okay to bowl tomorrow then it would make sense for us to bat today...
Siddle is sick as well. Have to bat with them only having two bowlers, one of whom is bowling terribly. Pile the runs on and try and give yourself at least 5 sessions to win the game.

Son Of Coco

Having had a think about it, and having seen the beautiful blue sky this morning, and being reminded about last year, I think we are most likely to bat again. And I'd be okay with that.

Hopefully can get them out for a 200 lead, and the best scenario has us going at ~100 per session until just before lunch tomorrow would give them over 500 with 5 sessions plus a few overs before lunch, under the pressure of being the first Aussie side to lose here in 75 years. I like the sound of that, if they can survive that kudos to them, they deserve the draw.
I'd be disappointed if we didn't win if given only 500 to chase down in 5 sessions. Would expect us to bat through at least a session of light rain and have 3 of the top order batting switch-handed for a session just to rub salt into the wounds.

Hughes to score a double century in the second innings after discovering he's actually right-handed.

On another note, I think we should forfeit the 2nd Test in all Ashes series in England from now on. Last time McGrath goes down and this time two bowlers are unable to bowl after the match has started. Not sure what excuse there is for the batsmen, but anyway. Hopefully Siddle can leave a couple of carrots on a good length to aim at if England bat again.

Last edited: