• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lords

sephiroth123

Cricket Spectator
Even more reasons to definitely enforce it.

Aside from anything, none of the bowlers are tired and there's a potential time issue if there's a lot of rain.
Rain shouldn't be an issue to be honest, maybe the odd shower here and there but given the Aussie's are nearly finished thier first innings I would think the odds are any rain stoppages will have pretty much 0 effect on the outcome.

I'd expect no more then an two to three hours worth of stoppages over the next 3 days combined. Thats if Lords is very unlucky and gets hit head on...and I certainly wouldn't take the "it might rain angle" that has been mentioned, esp when showers are involved, just can't call them!

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
LOL at all of the "this pitch is a road" comments during the first day when Australia was bowling poorly.

We are in deep merde.
Was and still is a road.

Puts paid to the comments about England needing 500 to be competitive, though. No matter the pitch, chasing 400 is its own pressure and the Aussies proved yet another case in point as they did in 2005.

Burgey

Hope Siddle was taking notes during yesterday's play then. :p

Anyway, wasn't it you who all but suggested that Anderson bowled the best spell in the history of cricket in the first innings at Cardiff, but that Hughes somehow managed to not only survive but score off him? You can't turn around and start ripping into Anderson now after using him like that to prop up 'the new Hayden'.
You're not suggesting Anderson's spell yesterday was anything better than just good, solid spell are you? Because if that's the sort of thing that's considered outstanding (or indeed Hilf's in England's 1st innings) then cricket really is dying.

They both bowled well, but hardly made the ball talk. Each side's batsmen have gifted multiple wickets to t'other, though England bowled better as unit by a fair margin than Australia.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

You're not suggesting Anderson's spell yesterday was anything better than just solid are you? Because if that's the sort of thing that's considered outstanding (or indeed Hilf's in England's 1st innings) then cricket really is dying.
Yup, completely agree. Anderson hit a nice groove and laid on the pressure but geez, so many get out shots last night.

pup11

International Coach
Was and still is a road.

Puts paid to the comments about England needing 500 to be competitive, though. No matter the pitch, chasing 400 is its own pressure and the Aussies proved yet another case in point as they did in 2005.
Well said.....

I think the most disappointing thing is, in 2005 the caliber of bowling from England was much higher then what we saw yesterday, had Australia been brought down to this position by some excellent bowling, then maybe I won't have been too disappointed, but almost every Aussie batsman just virtually threw his wicket away.

Most of them were batting as if they were still at Cardiff, starting from where they left off in that game, to their credit Freddie and Anderson bowled well, but they hardly bowled any unplayable deliveries, to bring about as absurd a batting collapse we saw from the Australian middle order.

As an Australian fan, this a pretty hopeless situation to be in, though I still really hope that they bat miraculously in the 2nd innings and save this game somehow, given the way Australian batsmen have batted under pressure in recent times, chances of that seem to very bleek.

irfan

State Captain
Just watched the highlights.. FFS what's with all this crossbatted nonsense - diabolical batting from everyone bar Ponting & Hussey. If I was Strauss, I'd defo bat again and not enforce the follow-on, besides Ponting and maybe Hussey & Clarke - none of the Australian batsman have the capability to stonewall for a day Collingwood-style. Plus Australia have only got 1 reliable non-sick/non-injured/non-spray gun bowler.

Really hope Midge can somehow find some form with the ball in the 2nd innings, Australia can't afford to carry him. Bloody Hauritz - dislocates his finger when he should have caught the ball. Pathetic.

pup11

International Coach
Just watched the highlights.. FFS what's with all this crossbatted nonsense - diabolical batting from everyone bar Ponting & Hussey. If I was Strauss, I'd defo bat again and not enforce the follow-on, besides Ponting and maybe Hussey & Clarke - none of the Australian batsman have the capability to stonewall for a day Collingwood-style. Plus Australia have only got 1 reliable non-sick/non-injured/non-spray gun bowler.

Really hope Midge can somehow find some form with the ball in the 2nd innings, Australia can't afford to carry him. Bloody Hauritz - dislocates his finger when he should have caught the ball. Pathetic.
The damage has already been done mate, no matter how well Australia bowl, or how poorly England bat from here on, Australia would still have a monumental task on their hands, to just save this game now, and AFAIC winning is no longer an option for Australia in this game.

irfan

State Captain
The damage has already been done mate, no matter how well Australia bowl, or how poorly England bat from here on, Australia would still have a monumental task on their hands, to just save this game now, and AFAIC winning is no longer an option for Australia in this game.
Don't be so quick to make a snap judgement. Of course, it doesn't look good now but Australia can still hold hope of saving this match provided the big 3 (Ponting, Katman and Clarke) fire in the 2nd dig.

JBH001

International Regular
You're not suggesting Anderson's spell yesterday was anything better than just good, solid spell are you? Because if that's the sort of thing that's considered outstanding (or indeed Hilf's in England's 1st innings) then cricket really is dying.
Think he was replying to wdfu_ben, Burgey.

pasag

RTDAS
Would go on a massive spray, but have been trying to become less emotionally attached to cricket. My court ordered therapist (went on a rampage after the India tour) says I shouldn't even be watching.