• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lords

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You would have thought after the last match that it would've been Broad's last Test for awhile, but the general consensus was that it was that his only had 1 poor match. Clearly when you are averaging 40 in Test Cricket, it takes a little more then 1 bad game to acchieve such a poor average. Clearly his success against the West Indies was just a matter of facing lesser batsman and so many English supporters overlooked this.
Actually they didn't. Yes, there were a few who actually did expect Broad to be successful against Australia, but most of us simply said he had to play given his success against West Indies, even though he was unlikely to perform all that well.

Your ability to construct straw-man arguments is among the most annoying in CW history. Seriously, respond to what people have posted, not what you'd like them to have. Or just shut the **** up and stop making posts whose only use is to annoy people.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Not a big fan of Onions, tbh. He is by no means Stuart Broad poor, but is hardly a world beater. Looks a typical 135-140kph bowler that any half decent batsman can negociate.

Redbacks

International Captain
Can't believe Broad played ahead of Onions in the last game.
I get the feeling priority number one from England is to avoid a heavy defeat. Thus they play 9 batsmen and have prepared two lame duck wickets in the hope of avoiding a big defeat. Maybe the master plan is to unleash some aggresive cricket in the 4th test, Harmison on ice to ensure he doesn't get the lethal combination of the swine flu and home-sickness given 5 matches need to be played.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
maybe if we could borrow the time machine the majority of people in England must have used given their complete lack of acknowledgement of the last Ashes series occurring
Said lack of acknowledgement is in jest... yes? :unsure:

(It certainly is on my part, and I do it far less often than most)

Demolition Man

State Vice-Captain
There appears to be some long term plan with keeping broad in the side, thats fine but if you want to win the ashes you bring in harmison.

Redbacks

International Captain
There are very few England supporters who actually want Broad in the team so I don't know where you've got that from.
similar case to all the apparent Aussies who have called Johnson the second coming of Jesus. But in Ashes tradition, our false remarks are still closer to the mark than England's :p

Demolition Man

State Vice-Captain
Not a big fan of Onions, tbh. He is by no means Stuart Broad poor, but is hardly a world beater. Looks a typical 135-140kph bowler that any half decent batsman can negociate.

Im not so sure, on par with broad so far IMO

Holding says harmison has currently taken 6/20 for durham.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
There are very few England supporters who actually want Broad in the team so I don't know where you've got that from.
I don't think that was "the general consensus at all". All England fans have had pretty massive reservations about Broad's bowling, even though they've seen it improve a bit in recent months.

Edit: what Pizzorno said.
The general consensus comment was directed at the commentators and selectors was that Broad had only had 1 bad game. The English supporter crack was mainly targetted at King Pietersen, who I have been telling that Broad is rubbish for the past year and a half and he has been disagreeing, telling me that I would be eating my words by now. Just a friendly reminder. :happy:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There appears to be some long term plan with keeping broad in the side, thats fine but if you want to win the ashes you bring in harmison.
Long-term plans involving picking cricketers for Tests who are clearly not yet good enough for it are never under any circumstances a good idea, but The Ashes is the last place of all to be doing it.

Nonetheless, it's been believed for most of Broad's career that the breakthrough is around the corner. Nearly 2 years down the line now, it's yet to arrive.

Redbacks

International Captain
Said lack of acknowledgement is in jest... yes? :unsure:

(It certainly is on my part, and I do it far less often than most)
Aimed at the media, don't think it has even being uttered in the commentary box so far. Although it's not really riveting conversation, I can see it more as a nice memory in the years to come as the culmination of the Warne-McGrath era.

Edit: plus a petty attempt to save my joke

Last edited:

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Your ability to construct straw-man arguments is among the most annoying in CW history. Seriously, respond to what people have posted, not what you'd like them to have. Or just shut the **** up and stop making posts whose only use is to annoy people.
:laugh:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Actually they didn't. Yes, there were a few who actually did expect Broad to be successful against Australia, but most of us simply said he had to play given his success against West Indies, even though he was unlikely to perform all that well.
Uppercut to rage.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Uppercut to rage.
As I say to him constantly, you can only pick the players who have constructed for themselves the strongest cases (or sometimes who have had the strongest cases constructed for them by ineptitude of opposition). You cannot say "well I think Harmison might do better than Broad so even though Broad did way better than Harmison against West Indies I'm going to pick Harmison".