• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lords

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Broad could be the 2nd youngest wicket taker in the history of English cricket. How many bowlers have taken their 50th wicket at a higher average of 40 though?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But a lot of bowlers seem to be pretty dumb. You need to remember that.
I've never had the foggiest idea where this notion comes from, I really haven't. I know plenty of bowlers who take their bowling seriously (however good they are or aren't) who are plentifully smart - myself amongst them. It's something of an insulting sweeping stereotype, that batsmen are smart and bowlers are dumb. Possibly stems from the somewhat ridiculous idea that you can't have brawn and brain simualtaneously (given that most bowlers, or quicks at least, need a decent amount of brawn).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
On a related matter, wasn't it Dean Jones who thought it might be fun to ask Ambrose to remove his wristbands? 7 wickets and 1 run later ....

Then we have Mark Waugh being outsledged by Jimmy Ormond, which takes a bit of doing.

The other really lousy sledge was, I think, from Greg Thomas after Viv Richards had played and missed a couple of times, helpfully pointing out that the ball is round, red and 3.5 inches wide. After his next delivery had disappeared out of the ground, Viv's response was 'you know what it looks like, so you go and find it.'
That pointing-out the ball dimensions one has been attributed to about 50 different bowler-batsman combos that I've heard. Thomas might've said it; he might not have.

The Jones-Ambrose incident wasn't actually in the 7-1 Test - Jones had been dropped from the Test team by then. It was in a ODI (I think that same season) and Ambrose ended with something like 5-30.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
someone really needs to have a word with Strauss about his captaincy. Is he bothered about the Ashes or does he just want to give Broad as many overs as possible?